LI Bust

You can be almost certain the busts in Crookhaven was due to the fact mama San wasn’t paying the required vig. This place is world renown for corruption
The 5th precinct is just as corrupt and despicable as the 4th. 5th precinct used to intimidate/steal from local small businesses, and would routinely ignore shot spotter alerts. Had 1 cop basically run me off the road because he was doing 50 up the wrong side of a residential street with no lights/sirens on, had another one almost T-bone me because they ran a stop sign coming out of a 7-11 they probably just stole from. Not sure if this has changed over the last 10+yrs, but that's how it used to be. It's one the reasons that even when I did used to monger in Suffolk, I never did it within the jurisdiction of the 5th. I didn't trust them to not be working some extortion racket.

billyS

Reign of Terror
The 5th precinct is just as corrupt and despicable as the 4th. 5th precinct used to intimidate/steal from local small businesses, and would routinely ignore shot spotter alerts. Had 1 cop basically run me off the road because he was doing 50 up the wrong side of a residential street with no lights/sirens on, had another one almost T-bone me because they ran a stop sign coming out of a 7-11 they probably just stole from. Not sure if this has changed over the last 10+yrs, but that's how it used to be. It's one the reasons that even when I did used to monger in Suffolk, I never did it within the jurisdiction of the 5th. I didn't trust them to not be working some extortion racket.
I'm not familiar with Suffolk precincts, what areas, towns does it compromise.

Was this from your experiences many years ago or now?

Intimidation perhaps, but stealing from local businesses… ?

The current ( and unfortunate imo) anti LE climate would be career suicide ( plus prison, perhaps) for any LE who is found to be doing something illegal.. and possibly, immoral..

Suffolk may be a hotspot, but it’s not exacerbated by bad Leo,

Was this from your experiences many years ago or now?

Intimidation perhaps, but stealing from local businesses… ?

The current ( and unfortunate imo) anti LE climate would be career suicide ( plus prison, perhaps) for any LE who is found to be doing something illegal.. and possibly, immoral..

Suffolk may be a hotspot, but it’s not exacerbated by bad Leo,
Nice of you to support the blue but you’ve missed quite a few articles that weren’t headlines

A long, long time ago, when I worked as a waiter in a high end Suffolk country restaurant (that meant I had no time for dating as all my time was either studying, attending classes or working — but I graduated completely self supporting with zero debt and decent car — but I digress) when I went back into the kitchen to pick up certain things to serve (appetizers, salads and stuff were there) back in the corner would almost always be a cop or two eating a nice meal (that I sometimes served them) during their (I assume) meal break).

Throughout the night cops would stop in the kitchen entrance to get coffee and maybe a nice danish to go.

They were never charged for any of this.

Management's thinking was that since there was always a lot of cash in the place, he felt this was a small price to pay to have have armed law enforcement popping in unexpectedly.

Of course the jewelers, hardware store, clothing store, gas stations, etc, didn't have the opportunity for this type of protection.

Read the book Jimmy the King. From Mangano to Spota to Mc Partland to Burke to Sini. And 84 misconduct cases dismissed and search items scrubbed from search results. But if you’re a SC resident you knew this.
Yep.. there are a a few bad bad apples that tarnish the name of those who do good.
I can think of plenty in this field

billyS

Reign of Terror
Read the book Jimmy the King. From Mangano to Spota to Mc Partland to Burke to Sini. And 84 misconduct cases dismissed and search items scrubbed from search results. But if you’re a SC resident you knew this.
Out on Suffolk there was also that Deputy Sheriff or Corrections officer who went to jail because he was forging his time sheets. He was also buddies with Spota and a Republican/Conservative party leader.

Yep.. there are a a few bad bad apples that tarnish the name of those who do good.
The problem as I see it is that whether it is the "free" apple accepted given by the street vendor (as in "The Godfather"), the "free" meal in the back of a high end restaurant, the "free" coffee and donuts at Dunkin, or the flashing of a badge to get out of getting a speeding ticket, sets up a feeling of entitlement that easily can morph into a shakedown.

Pay the police adequately for the value they provide (although, IMHO, this is done in SC and NC but not the rest of the country).

I'm not familiar with Suffolk precincts, what areas, towns does it compromise.
Mostly Town of Islip along the south shore, going east into Village of Patchogue.

Suffolk County PD Precinct and Sector Map (excluding the 9th, which is the Highway Patrol and roams across all the major throughfares, they do have sectors (patrol areas) but they are fluid). FYI, the first digit is the Precinct number.
1655131147463.png

This own also contains most of the Local/Town/Village PD's.
Local village-town pd - smaller.jpg

Also as an further discussion

NCPD and Precinct number is the first number here as well
NCPD pd - smaller.jpg

NYPD (their sector maps make it too messy to read with all the Precincts - but you can search and find them).
1655132136269.png
But they provide a "Find your Precinct & Sector:" search page
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/bureaus/patrol/find-your-precinct.page

You can find the maps, but takes a bit of Google-foo'ing
1655132313068.png

NYS Troopers
1655132360582.png

A few bad apples cause the whole cart to spoil.... this is the problem all cops eventually go to the "Blue Wall of Silence", hiding and abetting their fellow officers criminal actions, so as not to tip the apple cart altogether. From the turning a blind eye to spousal/domestic abuse (a large problem in the police departments), to the numerous SCPD's that have targeted women to strip/ or perform services to avoid DWI/DUI's (SCPD Officer Frank Wright, Mark Pav, Christopher McCoy, )... They even harass and attack their own, Sgt Cindy Olsen was assaulted by another SCPD on duty, the list goes on I recall having read in Newsday of 2 other assaults (one was a pregnant officer on desk duty - can't find it any longer, they do try to make these stories disappear and without names it is hard to find them years later to lookup).

Then you have the ones that have been made public, not the ones that they have covered up https://data.newsday.com/crime/cases/

billyS

Reign of Terror
A few bad apples cause the whole cart to spoil.... this is the problem all cops eventually go to the "Blue Wall of Silence", hiding and abetting their fellow officers criminal actions, so as not to tip the apple cart altogether. From the turning a blind eye to spousal/domestic abuse (a large problem in the police departments), to the numerous SCPD's that have targeted women to strip/ or perform services to avoid DWI/DUI's (SCPD Officer Frank Wright, Mark Pav, Christopher McCoy, )... They even harass and attack their own, Sgt Cindy Olsen was assaulted by another SCPD on duty, the list goes on I recall having read in Newsday of 2 other assaults (one was a pregnant officer on desk duty - can't find it any longer, they do try to make these stories disappear and without names it is hard to find them years later to lookup).

Then you have the ones that have been made public, not the ones that they have covered up https://data.newsday.com/crime/cases/
Part of it too is the personality type that is attracted to police or LE work.
Bullies are attracted to LE work same as pedophiles are attracted to teaching and the preist hood

The problem as I see it is that whether it is the "free" apple accepted given by the street vendor (as in "The Godfather"), the "free" meal in the back of a high end restaurant, the "free" coffee and donuts at Dunkin, or the flashing of a badge to get out of getting a speeding ticket, sets up a feeling of entitlement that easily can morph into a shakedown.

Pay the police adequately for the value they provide (although, IMHO, this is done in SC and NC but not the rest of the country).
Most SC make over 200k highly overpaid. Highly. A few things got us there. Until late 60 early 70s police were not particularly well paid and few unions with little power. After Taylor law things changed. With more departments unionizing a deal was given to police and fire for binding arbitration and from there the sky was the limit. No other unions got this and it is the key to their bloated salary. So if highway robbery taxes to pay for police helps you sleep at night so be it. With the rate of gun ownership on Long Island I bet they could get rid of half the force with negligible results

Part of it too is the personality type that is attracted to police or LE work.
Bullies are attracted to LE work same as pedophiles are attracted to teaching and the preist hood
I doubt they start off that way but it manifests itself with help from environmental stimuli. What would possibly make a married female teacher get pregnant by a student?