Latest UG Makeover

I don't know if I just never noticed this before or if some software switch was just turned on, but I now see a note about new posts when I go into a thread. It's on the right, just next to the post number.
New #15
It's a great tool because it tells you exactly which posts are new since the last time you visited a thread. So if you don't use the "new posts" tab to visit threads for updates, you can see which posts are new this way.

UPDATE: Now that I researched it a bit more, I think that notification is only for posts that have been made today. I went into some threads that I don't usually view and haven't been in for months and only today's posts contained that note. So, it may not be the useful alert tool I thought it was.
That's not the way it's working for me. I just opened a thread I hadn't been to in a while and I noticed the "New" tag on a post from Tuesday, so it doesn't hold just for the current day. It seems to tag all of the unread posts in that thread. And I'll confirm Vad's take, I've noticed it for a while now. Might you have hit "Mark forums read" at some point?

I still don't understand how it works. I went into a thread that I never visited before and none of the posts were designated as new. I think it's tied to posts actually made since the last time you logged on and not necessarily posts you never saw before. Anyway, thanks for your perspectives, vad and Joyboy.

AFAICT it's unrelated to logging in just plain out highlights new messages one way is to record last access and check against that and/or just check a file date depending upon how it's written. Some unread non-new'd messages could be due to the transition to the new software which if so they don't count.