Key West around Holloween

I'll be in Key West a few days prior to Halloween and was wondering if anyone can shed some light about what to expect there. I'm told by a friend that it's kind of like Mardi Gras. Anyone have any first hand knowledge ? What restaurants to go to, where to go to hook up with the local or visiting non professional women.

I'm not looking to info on providers, but more about the atmosphere, places to go see, hang out joints to meet women and anything along these lines.

Happy and Safe 4th
Peace Out
C

Not sure if I'm stating the obvious but...

...you do know that Key West is a prime vacation destination for the Gay/Lesbian crowd, right? I happened to be in Provincetown, Mass. one year for Halloween, not realizing at the time that Provincetown, much like KW, is at the farthest point of land at the end of Cape Cod and has become a favorite destination, year round for G/L folks.

Now, let me clear up one possible misconception: I absolutely love my G/L friends and have spent many happy times with folks of this ilk, so I am in no way bashing here. What I would point out is simply that Halloween has become the sort-of National Holiday for this group. I am speaking from what these friends have related to me and from my direct observation that Halloween.

Back to Halloween: I saw more outrageously "out" behavior that day/night than ever before or since. Frankly, I enjoyed it. It was refreshing to see these folks really being who they are. I was with my wife, so I only got propositioned a few times. And then it was mostly in the spirit of fun, I believe.

Anyway, my bottom line is that if you are comfortable with this scene, and I may be wrong about this as my information is based solely on heresay in re: to KW, then by all means enjoy and tell us all about it. On the other hand, if this environment would be uncomfortable for you, then perhaps another destination would be better.

OTOH, you might wind up finding yourself in a perfect situation: being one of only a few straight guys to service those ladies who are hot and bothered by all those half-naked good-looking gay men down there ;-)

I hope this hasn't offended anyone, although that's practically impossible. I offer this information purely as a heads-up to Casper and anyone else who might care to know it.

HM thanks for the info about the G/L scene down there. I wasn't aware of it but maybe my buddy was. We are both straight but neither one of us is bothered by the G/L outrageous behaviors such as what's seen at the time of the G/L parades in the City.

We had travelled together to New Orleans also for Halloween 3 years ago and simply had a blast. Overwelhimgly great time, lots of people in the streets (told there was only about 1/10th of the crowd that usually shows up for Mardi Gras - YIKES) and the atmosphere was electric.
I'll have to talk about the G/L aspect with my buddy but we both are easy going and go with the flow so it'll be a good time non-theless. Plus he has a knack for sniffing out civilian poontang. HM thanks for your info.

SB: Planning ahead? Not nearly ahead enough as there are only a few rooms left in KW for the week I'd like to go and they are in the high 100's-mid 200's a night. Too high class for me but you only live once....lol

Peace out
C

[Edited by Casper on 07-04-2001 at 12:21 PM]

I used to travel to Key West regularly with my job. Averaged about 5 days a month. Yes it is definetly G/L. And Fantasy Fest celebrations at Halloween is catered towards the G/L lifestyle. I've been to a few F/F parades and while a lot of fun there really isn't that much straight stuff around. The local straight (conch) girls have seen too many tourists in this town and unless your Brad Pitt they are pretty difficult to pick up. So unless your hell bent on finding poontang you'll have a great time at Key West. If your into diving then take a sea-plane out to the Dry Tortugas for a day. Great scuba and snorkeling.

Key West is filled with drunk, happy, laid back people. Very pet-friendly town. Expensive accomodations, very walkable or taxiable. Best titty bar is Teasers, on the edge of town. Local hangout, amazing talent. Hands-on and mouth-on laps, except for the kitty. Never been during FF, but have done Spring Break. The wet t-shirt contests are typically won by some naked hottie inserting a dildo. Sometimes they just leap into the crowd and get passed around. I've never come close to being propositioned. The town is very gay and lesbian. But its a normal state of being there. Not like they are trying to be flamboyant. But a few chicks ride Harleys and a few guys hold hands. There are gay bars, clubs and even gay lodging in KW. The rest of the places are very tourist oriented. And no, the locals are not trying to score on every tourist. Stay close to Zero Duval. I can enjoy KW without any hobbying. It's a really great place. Lastly, the Scrub Tub is not incall, it is a ripoff.

[Edited by NYCBoy on 07-06-2001 at 01:20 AM]

Looks like my trip isn't going to happen after all. Thanks for all those who took time to reply.

On that note, I'm open to suggestions on a new vacation destination within the US or nearby bordering countries.

Objective: vacation mixed in with some hobbying, getting the best value for my $.
Time of year: October/early November

Peace out
C