• stocks/commodities

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • other

Votes: 137 41.9%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Samanthofny
Lawyer (mostly)

Doctor

CEO (love those Mon-Thurs type of guys, weekends with the wife, during the week with me!)

Screenwriter (boy I'd love to say , but I can't)

CPA (after lawyers this is the next largest group)

Stockbroker (not too many lately)

Also some techies, but I'd have to say that I rarely see someone outside of these fields, just the way it worked out.
I haven't looked at this in quite awhile either but if Samantha's list is truly representative, that would explain why rates are so (relatively) high (even now)

Too much covered in "other" - we should have Scientific/Technical, Engineering, and Information Technology - it'd be interesting to see how many propeller heads who never developed social skills now make up for it with the hobby.

h. von bingen said:
me (formerly known as lebeguine) = lawyer.

why are there so many lawyers in the hobby? this is my analysis:

1. you go to school
2. they teach you its okay to be an amoral fuck (hell the law even DEMANDS it)
3. if you are a fuck enough or amoral enough you make a lot of money
4. you've got tons of extra cash but people run screaming from the room when you enter
5. ipso facto = lawyer says to himself: self, i can hobby! b/c i:
(a) do not have enough TIME (nor the ability any longer) to form a meaningful relationship with a significant partner;
(b) can use my amoral fuck qualities on some provider who is just trying to make a living;
(c) can feel superior while doing it (after all i don't have to prostitute MYSELF to make a living [snarf] and practicing the law means i'm performing an important social function [snarf snarf]) (corollary: this young women is LUCKY to have contact with a person of my class and/or education, where ELSE would she obtain such contact?);
(d) i can reduce actual human relations to a mere transaction (posner would be proud); and
(e) hobbying provides me with a respite from actually THINKING about what it is i do.
B.
Most of us are amateurs -- we didn't get years of training in fucking strangers.