Islanders

• Thread starter Deleted member 128262
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 128262

Anyone else shocked at Trotz getting the axe with one year left on his contract? He got the Isles organization in the right direction. I give the team a pass for this season because of the 13 game road trip and then the league screwing them over and making them play with multiple players out from COVID, yet once other teams got affected, they paused play for those teams.

Rumblings we’re that there may be been tension between Barry and Lou- Lou had mentioned in the press conference about the younger players needing to develop. When you bench Wahlstrom and Bellows, in favor of older vets, there’s no way they get better.

I do give Parise a thumbs up. He looked lost at the beginning of the season but then ended up going 15g-20a-35p and played all 82 games. Second half of the season he was one of the better players along side Brock Nelson.

Anyone else shocked at Trotz getting the axe with one year left on his contract? He got the Isles organization in the right direction. I give the team a pass for this season because of the 13 game road trip and then the league screwing them over and making them play with multiple players out from COVID, yet once other teams got affected, they paused play for those teams.

Rumblings we’re that there may be been tension between Barry and Lou- Lou had mentioned in the press conference about the younger players needing to develop. When you bench Wahlstrom and Bellows, in favor of older vets, there’s no way they get better.

I do give Parise a thumbs up. He looked lost at the beginning of the season but then ended up going 15g-20a-35p and played all 82 games. Second half of the season he was one of the better players along side Brock Nelson.
Well said!
I was shocked, he was solid. Got them to the conference finals 2 years straight with no stud scorer. No Lee last year either.
I felt from the beginning they didn't have enough scoring this year and I think it showed. Didn't really replace Eberle and they just got old quick. Trotz did a great job, made the franchise relevant again.

They have some big decisions to make this off season, especially with that nice new building that needs to be filled.
Hopefully they add a pure goal scorer or 2.

D

Deleted member 128262

Well said!
I was shocked, he was solid. Got them to the conference finals 2 years straight with no stud scorer. No Lee last year either.
I felt from the beginning they didn't have enough scoring this year and I think it showed. Didn't really replace Eberle and they just got old quick. Trotz did a great job, made the franchise relevant again.

They have some big decisions to make this off season, especially with that nice new building that needs to be filled.
Hopefully they add a pure goal scorer or 2.
Cap space strapped again, with Barzy I believe is a RFA again. Needs to be locked up long term. Build the team around him, Dobson, Lee, Nelson, Pulock, Pelech, Sorokin. They are untouchable in my eyes. I’d even throw Mayfield in there, unless you get a boatload back for him and his ultra cap friendly contract.

Been watching these guys since 1993- I was in 3rd grade. Went through some very lean years under Milbury…

Surprised but not surprised - if you look at Lamoriello's track record with coaches it's not a surprise. Where it is a surprise is that Trotz is a legitimate outstanding coach. He single handedly has put a huge damper on Doug Weight ever getting another NHL head job. Trotz essentially took Weight's roster and transformed them from among worst in NHL defensively to among best defensively in the first season.

It does get tiresome though to keep hearing about that 13 game road trip. The Isles did not have to do that - they chose it. They could have easily played some games at the Coliseum (and sold yet another round of 'last game ever' vials of water after melting the ice - LOL) while waiting for UBS to open. But they chose to wait for the bigger venue with more seats. They put dollars ahead of their team.

Surprised but not surprised - if you look at Lamoriello's track record with coaches it's not a surprise. Where it is a surprise is that Trotz is a legitimate outstanding coach. He single handedly has put a huge damper on Doug Weight ever getting another NHL head job. Trotz essentially took Weight's roster and transformed them from among worst in NHL defensively to among best defensively in the first season.

It does get tiresome though to keep hearing about that 13 game road trip. The Isles did not have to do that - they chose it. They could have easily played some games at the Coliseum (and sold yet another round of 'last game ever' vials of water after melting the ice - LOL) while waiting for UBS to open. But they chose to wait for the bigger venue with more seats. They put dollars ahead of their team.
Lou is the one that has to go...80 yrs old the game passed him by. He left the Devil's in shambles when he left and he is going to do the same thing here... starting with the firing of the best coach Isles had since Al Arbour

Cap space strapped again, with Barzy I believe is a RFA again. Needs to be locked up long term. Build the team around him, Dobson, Lee, Nelson, Pulock, Pelech, Sorokin. They are untouchable in my eyes. I’d even throw Mayfield in there, unless you get a boatload back for him and his ultra cap friendly contract.

Been watching these guys since 1993- I was in 3rd grade. Went through some very lean years under Milbury…
Cash strapped yes. IDK about Barzal, he was not the same electric player he was last year. Was there a chemistry issue with him and his line mates? I thought he was signed for 2 more years.

I'm with you on those lean years under Milbury, thats why the firing of Trotz was so WTF!

Interesting to see which direction they go, If they can land that stud sniper they need.

D

Deleted member 128262

Cash strapped yes. IDK about Barzal, he was not the same electric player he was last year. Was there a chemistry issue with him and his line mates? I thought he was signed for 2 more years.

I'm with you on those lean years under Milbury, thats why the firing of Trotz was so WTF!

Interesting to see which direction they go, If they can land that stud sniper they need.
I might be wrong about Barzy- I know it’s a bridge contract. They need a top six forward. Barzy production went down because of the Trotz system. In Tavares’s last year, you had a 1A and 1B center. Everyone focused on JT and Barzal had the 85 point season. He was allowed to skate and be creative. Not to mention his multiple 5 point games.

I might be wrong about Barzy- I know it’s a bridge contract. They need a top six forward. Barzy production went down because of the Trotz system. In Tavares’s last year, you had a 1A and 1B center. Everyone focused on JT and Barzal had the 85 point season. He was allowed to skate and be creative. Not to mention his multiple 5 point games.
Barzal is signed through the end of next season. He is a RFA '23-'24
Either way he needs help, Islanders need some cap space.