Is PEP riskier than chance of female to male HIV transmission?

UG I messed up - Barebacked Babe at Flushing spa - I never BB!

Please help me decide if I should take Post Exposure Prophylaxis:
Truvada 200 mg (emtricitabine-tenofovir) plus Tivicay 50 mg (dolutegravir)
for 28 days to reduce likelihood of HIV illnesses. These meds have potentially serious side-effects.

-> Perhaps the meds are more dangerous than doing nothing in this case?

I'm a fairly healthy circumcised male in my 60s.
I had unprotected vaginal sex with a very busy Chinese babe for one hour on two occasions.
Twice before I was covered - she just got to me - Dongguan style.

Let's assume she has an HIV infection - no point asking.
It seems my chance of infection is about 0.10% to 0.05% per encounter -
i.e. 0.20% risk for two unprotected encounters...
The unprotected sessions included fellatio, cunnilingus and mutual analingus.

(% per Wikipedia STDs chart - BTW I'll deal with other potential STIs separately tomorrow).

The above Rx came from an RN at a clinic visit 8 hours ago; I see my primary care physician in 12 hours.
-> Need to start the meds by 11:30PM Tuesday to be in 72 hour window.

Comments please - thanks all!

billyS

Reign of Terror
I know of two people who have taken it. Both younger than you.
One is a cop who while beating the shit out of a prep got covered in the perps blood and was given the treatment the other a nurse who was stuck with a needle.
Neither had any side effects other than anxiety.
Actually the nurse was closer to your age, mid to late 50's.
You should also be concerned with Hep B and of course all the standard STD's

Those numbers are nuts! It almost looks like you've got a better chance of catching the hiv if you USE a rubber! And here I've been panicking for 90 days when i go raw till I'm tested...

I was leaning toward No PEP based on low transmission statistic that nobody disputed.
Now I plan to start PEP meds tonight.

TL;DR follows. Hope it may help somebody.

I was pleased the minute clinic NP called. She listened to my thoughts and pointed out getting blood today was important.

I was amazed Truvada had zero co-pay with a $2144 list price. Tivicay $30 co-pay, list $2196. I have the best insurance ever for meds, labs and doctors.

Fortunately my primary care practice fit me in and listened to my situation. I wanted opinion of NP's plan - and PEP side effects vs my various meds and health history. My MD & PA separately reviewed minute clinic NP's prescriptions. I said I as scared of side effects as HIV. They said they had other patients on these or similar meds successfully.

Both suggested I start meds today as no immediate side effects were likely. If tolerated, continue meds for 28 days. But call immediately if any STD symptoms or side effects occur.

Phlebotomist drew blood samples: HIV Screen 4th Generation, every big-name STI, Hepatitis B & C, Comprehensive metabolic panel for High Risk Sexual Behavior. Some results take 7 business days; others sooner. If lab reports anything significant, they call me ASAP.

The 72-hour deadline to start PEP meds is 11:30 PM 1/7/20 tonight. I'm told PEP likely works if I was indeed infected.

Complication - my 1st unsafe intercourse actually occurred on 11/17/19 - a condom broke and went undetected for twenty minutes. If I was infected 11/17, chance of PEP working is nil. I asked if 11/17 incident disqualified me per PEP 72 hour window rule. Nope. They said 'Nothing to do about that now' - except await tests.

I had a text conversation with my partner. She says she knows she doesn't have HIV; and takes care of her health mindful of 'her business'. While I hope she is truthful, I am not basing any decision on her answer. Her behavior is very high risk.

(BTW: Her 'no HIV' statement is technically disqualifies me: 'no PEP treatment absent HIV-positive information'. But the medical team understood I couldn't get a copy of her test results or date.

I have the meds in hand, ready to start tonight.

Good luc
I was leaning toward No PEP based on low transmission statistic that nobody disputed.
Now I plan to start PEP meds tonight.

TL;DR follows. Hope it may help somebody.

I was pleased the minute clinic NP called. She listened to my thoughts and pointed out getting blood today was important.

I was amazed Truvada had zero co-pay with a $2144 list price. Tivicay $30 co-pay, list $2196. I have the best insurance ever for meds, labs and doctors.

Fortunately my primary care practice fit me in and listened to my situation. I wanted opinion of NP's plan - and PEP side effects vs my various meds and health history. My MD & PA separately reviewed minute clinic NP's prescriptions. I said I as scared of side effects as HIV. They said they had other patients on these or similar meds successfully.

Both suggested I start meds today as no immediate side effects were likely. If tolerated, continue meds for 28 days. But call immediately if any STD symptoms or side effects occur.

Phlebotomist drew blood samples: HIV Screen 4th Generation, every big-name STI, Hepatitis B & C, Comprehensive metabolic panel for High Risk Sexual Behavior. Some results take 7 business days; others sooner. If lab reports anything significant, they call me ASAP.

The 72-hour deadline to start PEP meds is 11:30 PM 1/7/20 tonight. I'm told PEP likely works if I was indeed infected.

Complication - my 1st unsafe intercourse actually occurred on 11/17/19 - a condom broke and went undetected for twenty minutes. If I was infected 11/17, chance of PEP working is nil. I asked if 11/17 incident disqualified me per PEP 72 hour window rule. Nope. They said 'Nothing to do about that now' - except await tests.

I had a text conversation with my partner. She says she knows she doesn't have HIV; and takes care of her health mindful of 'her business'. While I hope she is truthful, I am not basing any decision on her answer. Her behavior is very high risk.

(BTW: Her 'no HIV' statement is technically disqualifies me: 'no PEP treatment absent HIV-positive information'. But the medical team understood I couldn't get a copy of her test results or date.

I have the meds in hand, ready to start tonight.
Good luck!

I had the PEP when in military overseas, got some bad guy blood on and possibly in me, they gave me the "cocktail" everyone I know that has had the "cocktail" had the liquid shits for a few days.

I'm at day 3 of 28 on these scary HIV meds. Seems like I got a bad cold. Maybe that's it.
For all this grief I feel I can't trust my logic when passions are hot.
I need a long talk with myself.
"Better safe than sorry." You took the bull by the horns. At least after 28 days you will have more confidence that nothing is hiding in your system. Bravo.

In the future, go with the best name in condoms, "TROJANS." I once used some gas station hyped up colorfully-boxed no-name brand from Vietnam and spent close to an hour of raucous play inside a provider, only to find upon disengagement that the latex disintegrated totally.

I also don't trust the Brand X that some ladies use. Sometimes it appears out of nowhere with no packaging. I have to wonder if she did a quick rinse and hung it on the clothes line and possibly using them multiple times. You never know. So, I bring my brand. I do feel safe in a TROJAN brand. It is a trusted name in the business.

Hi TR. LOL, thanks. When that shitty side-effect hits I'll lose some pounds.
Then I'll trade Monster energy for GatorAid electrolytes - maintain my Precious Bodily Fluids.
Mugi, I always have a Trojan for Act Two, after the bare oral Intermission. Trojans for both Acts now!
At cheap places, a lady's trip to the Condom Vault wastes five minutes.
Genius, I use your shoe storage time-saver. Hey, I've recovered ten fun minutes!
BillyS, I can't find your latex thickess post where numbers like 0.0020 appeared.
You mention condom so much you are the Prophylactic Poster Boy. (Further reading disqualified you, sorry.)

UG I messed up - Barebacked Babe at Flushing spa - I never BB!

Please help me decide if I should take Post Exposure Prophylaxis:
Truvada 200 mg (emtricitabine-tenofovir) plus Tivicay 50 mg (dolutegravir)
for 28 days to reduce likelihood of HIV illnesses. These meds have potentially serious side-effects.

-> Perhaps the meds are more dangerous than doing nothing in this case?

I'm a fairly healthy circumcised male in my 60s.
I had unprotected vaginal sex with a very busy Chinese babe for one hour on two occasions.
Twice before I was covered - she just got to me - Dongguan style.

Let's assume she has an HIV infection - no point asking.
The unprotected sessions included fellatio, cunnilingus and mutual analingus.

(% per Wikipedia STDs chart - BTW I'll deal with other potential STIs separately tomorrow).

The above Rx came from an RN at a clinic visit 8 hours ago; I see my primary care physician in 12 hours.
-> Need to start the meds by 11:30PM Tuesday to be in 72 hour window.

Comments please - thanks all!
You're in your 60s
Who gives a fuck
I plan to become a cigarette smoking alcoholic junky, barebacking everything that moves when I'm old.

I plan to become a cigarette smoking alcoholic junky, barebacking everything that moves when I'm old.
#squadgoals

@priapist, man, that sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with this. But keep in mind, PrEP is widely accepted (and even marketed as such) by both doctors and the gay male community as a relatively safe and effective way of preventing HIV transmission in at-risk communities. I wouldn't be too concerned about any side effects.

Hope all checks out a-ok at the end of the day.

You're in your 60s
Who gives a fuck
Come on, Judge. Your life has great value. Have your 98% fun with that lousy 2% precaution. The missing 2% is not going to make your pleasure any less satisfying.

When 60 comes, you want to be in excellent shape, healthy and virile. It is a whole new world after 60. If you are in good shape, especially the foreign girls like prancing about with a silver-fox, packing wood to put the young boys to shame. It aint bad at all. You are just out there, a confident man, making things happen, not giving a shit like in your young man years.

I was at a flushing spot a while ago and when I finally finished I looked down to see the condom at the base of my penis. I immediately went home and set up a general screening, thankfully I was clean. I'm not too worried about HIV, but I guess it's a thought.

Strangely enough I brought my own condom to another flushing spot and they wouldn't let me use it.

My HIV scare? I had no problem finishing 28 days of Post Exposure Prophylaxis - PEP - as a precaution. While I was exhausted throughout PEP, I had none of the serious possible side effects (which include 'death'). FWIW I tested clean 3x before, during and after for HIV and all the other testable STDs. As a precaution I also got all the vaccines for two strains of Hepatitis.