Is It Me?

Or do you also find it very telling that the best the Democrats can do for replacement Senate candidates are a couple of 70+ y.o. warhorses from past generations.

Where is all the new blood?

rd r r --

yeah im sad too. mondale was a hack a generation and 1/2 ago. i can only hope the dems are in the same place as the reps were post barry goldwater (and they can mobilize similarly). but contrary to my natural inclination, i'm not hopeful.

like grandma, new dealer,
hvb

Last edited:
Re: rd r r --

Originally posted by h. von bingen
i can only hope the dems are in the same place as the reps were post barry goldwater (and they can mobilize similarly)
That would be Ronald Wilson Reagan.

I don't think so...

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
They told me that if I voted for Goldwater that within 6 months we'd be up to our assholes in Vietnam. But I voted for him anyway... and guess what ? They were right.

a few years ago i ran into wally wonder in the azuma lounge in narita. he was waiting for a flight hime to MN and i was waiting for my connection to bangkok.
i recognized him immediately and said hello. we had a brief conversation of little consequence. that brief meeting did nothing to bolster my opinion of him.
can't the dems find people who actually want to serve in the office instead of twisting old, tired arms to run because of their name recognition.
we are finally getting rid of jesse helms and strom thurman and getting odl tired retreads instead.

Originally posted by slinkybender
They told me that if I voted for Goldwater that within 6 months we'd be up to our assholes in Vietnam. But I voted for him anyway... and guess what ? They were right.
"In your heart you know he's right".

Remember that?

I was in 7th grade. I remember the Johnson fans in class threatened that if Goldwater won, we'd have to go to school on Saturdays. Hell, I LIKED school (especially that cute Linda Miles who sat in front of me).

See-I mixed politics and sex back then...

RufusMoses

(212) 513-0888
Folks around here may find him boring, but they are not trying to entertain people, and he is not running for the presidency...he is running for Senator from MN and the people there love him and hold him in high regard. There is nothing wrong with that.

The goal is to win the election, and that is exactly what Mondale will uniquely accomplish for the Democrats. There is nothing wrong with that either.

And with the balance of power being so close, and with the 80's Republican mafia entrenched in the White House (talk about retreads!), I am happy to see the Dems doing whatever it (legally) takes to retain a majority in the Senate.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by RufusMoses
And with the balance of power being so close, and with the 80's Republican mafia entrenched in the White House (talk about retreads!), I am happy to see the Dems doing whatever it (legally) takes to retain a majority in the Senate.
Are you including the travesty in NJ in your definition of legally?

RufusMoses

(212) 513-0888
(1) That "travesty in NJ" has happened previously in other states with similar laws in exactly the same way...except with the parties reversed...

(2) As far as I know it went through the system and there are no remaining options for appeal...by definition it was legal...

(3) Anyone who disagrees with the outcome (just because it was "legal" doesn't mean it was "right") can try to work the system and get the election laws changed so it won't happen the next time...

Last edited:

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
I'm sure anytime polls are involved you can find a series of "travesties" on either side of the aisle. That and the fact that a bunch of politically appointed black robes blessed it doesn't make it smell any less.

To me, its analogous to Bud Light letting the NY Yankees play the last three innings of last night’s game for San Francisco. (Yeah, I know they are AL not NL)

Last edited:
MN is not NJ

Maybe it's just cause I live in NJ, but I see a huge difference between replacing a candidate who gets killed in a plane crash right before an election in a state where the law clearly states that it's OK to do so, and putting up a candidate that you know is dirty then dumping him 5 weeks before the elsection when the polls show he's getting his ass kicked by an unknown newcomer, and the law says it's OK to do that 7 weeks before.
As a practical matter, Mondale and Lautenberg are no-brainers. The only thing the dems have time for in either race is a well-known name.
That gives us the next difference. Mondale reportedly has no plan to campaign, just be available, which could be enough.
Lautenberg is campaigning but seems to be afraid to debate Forrester. To my mind, that's a dirty campaign. And yes, it's dirty in NY too when the candidate ducking debate is a republican.

All I know is that if Lautenberg wins we are all doomed.

But then again, the Republican is a total boob, with the grey matter of your average sea slug.

Couldn't we have one candidate... I mean, just one that doesn't seem so much to ask for, for whom it is actually worth voting.

UGH!