IPOD, Zune, MP3, Noise cancelling headphones

justme

homo economicus
If you have an ipod (or any compressed file player) you're listening to inferior sound files to that of a CD. Using anything more than the standard headphones they come with is a waste of fucking money.
I disagree. While I wouldn't blow a grand on a pair of Audio Technicas (or whatever), I think you do better to pair an I-Pod with a decent in-ear headphone. I posted about my experience with I-Pod sound here:

http://www.utopiaguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=602261#post602261

but the summary is that I-Pods playing 128 k-bit compressed files sound considerably better than a budget portable CD player and so, imho, deserve at least a decent pair of phones.

I still use a pair of Shure Ec2's and I still like 'em with the I-Pod. Not everyone likes the in-ear design. Some people complain about fit. Still, I think they do a great job of blocking out a good percentage of ambient noise and therefore providing a more quiet background for the music. I end up playing music at a much lower volume than I would with a traditional ear bud design. I tend to think that this addresses Elmo's concern about listening levels and hearing loss, but I can't be sure since there's other variables at work besides just volume (I may still end up with high SPL's despite the lower volume since the speaker is closer to my ear drum and I've effective sealed my ear and am therefore eliminating a lot of energy leak).

I don't have a lot of experience with noise canceling designs. Philosophically, I try to keep my signal path as simple as possible and noise cancellation seems to be a very active modification of the signal. So someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that noise canceling phones were good for white noise. I believe they generate a wave that attempts to negatively interfere with ambient noise. The problem (strength?) with this approach is that it works best with a steady, somewhat predictable source of noise.

In-ear phones, however, reduce noise through the extremely low tech solution of ear plugs. They simply act as a physical barrier for the sound waves. As such they discriminate more on the basis of frequency then on repetition. Fortunately the things I want to block out (traffic, my officemate typing, bus chatter) all tends to be mid to mid high frequency and thus very effectively blocked by the phones.

I disagree. While I wouldn't blow a grand on a pair of Audio Technicas (or whatever), I think you do better to pair an I-Pod with a decent in-ear headphone. I posted about my experience with I-Pod sound here:

but the summary is that I-Pods playing 128 k-bit compressed files sound considerably better than a budget portable CD player and so, imho, deserve at least a decent pair of phones.

I still use a pair of Shure Ec2's and I still like 'em with the I-Pod. Not everyone likes the in-ear design. Some people complain about fit. Still, I think they do a great job of blocking out a good percentage of ambient noise and therefore providing a more quiet background for the music. I end up playing music at a much lower volume than I would with a traditional ear bud design. I tend to think that this addresses Elmo's concern about listening levels and hearing loss, but I can't be sure since there's other variables at work besides just volume (I may still end up with high SPL's despite the lower volume since the speaker is closer to my ear drum and I've effective sealed my ear and am therefore eliminating a lot of energy leak).

I don't have a lot of experience with noise canceling designs. Philosophically, I try to keep my signal path as simple as possible and noise cancellation seems to be a very active modification of the signal. So someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that noise canceling phones were good for white noise. I believe they generate a wave that attempts to negatively interfere with ambient noise. The problem (strength?) with this approach is that it works best with a steady, somewhat predictable source of noise.

In-ear phones, however, reduce noise through the extremely low tech solution of ear plugs. They simply act as a physical barrier for the sound waves. As such they discriminate more on the basis of frequency then on repetition. Fortunately the things I want to block out (traffic, my officemate typing, bus chatter) all tends to be mid to mid high frequency and thus very effectively blocked by the phones.
Trust me, for the kind of sound you want to block out, nothing beats the Bose QC3. They do a fantastic job of blocking out the noise of an office, street, airplane, or any other place you want to be almost totally isolated in.

The noise they block out isn’t just white noise, loud conversation, music, stupid banging on desks, infantile voices and any other stupid noises you don’t want to hear regardless of the frequency of the sound.

They block out noise better then any earplugs I have ever tried, and believe me I have tried almost all (I’m sure that some where there is a an ear plug that I haven’t tried). The best part is not only do the Bose block out more noise; they are also far more comfortable.

It’s true that at $375 they are certainly not cheap, but as they say, silence is golden.

What I would recommend is that if you are planning on taking a long flight, and you are not a frequent flyer, that you but the Bose, keep the receipt, and all the packaging and then return the headphones. And get your money back. Bose gives you a 30-day money back guarantee.

Last edited:
If you have an ipod (or any compressed file player) you're listening to inferior sound files to that of a CD. Using anything more than the standard headphones they come with is a waste of fucking money.
I have purchased 5 iPods, and blew out the standard headphones in the first two within days of purchase (I listen to a lot of hip-hop).

I'd agree that you don't NEED to spend $300 on an expensive set of headphones, but I like that the QC2s block out the outside world. (And I used Amex points for them and didn't pay for them anyway...I'm not sure I'd have coughed up the $300)...they do allow me to listen to my iPod at much more reasonable volumes. If I am not using the QC2s, I almost always have to have the volume all of the way up.

As to your other point, that is certainly true, but for most music it doesn't really matter. The difference in quality doesn't really "diminish" the listening experience for most music.

Allright Gents...I am going to buy a Ipod this weekend and I am noy only looking for music but one to hold and play movies and show Is there any suggestions about which is the best.......Price is not much of an issu either....Thank you....in advance......
This is probably posted too late to help Lord Soth but I'm a fan of the Archos portable video players. I've road tested the Archos 504 and 604 WiFi and was impressed. Big screen, great resolution. The DVR accessory is a must. Biggest downside for me is that the gear is pricey.

I prefer the earbuds myself. The Bose and Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones always gave me a headache or ear fatigue. I own a couple of Ultimate Ear super.fi 5 Pros and I'm very happy with them.