"Igby GoesDown"

No, that's not what the title means.
Recent film that just hit my area. Captures WASP ennui, dysfunction and 3 rd generation money gone bad. Burr Steers, writer and director, got these characters to a tee. Story line may have some plot inconsistencies, but they are forgiven for the lineup of lost souls.
It's a dark tale, but with plenty of comic episodes. Wonderful cast and well acted.
Not for everyone! It's what "The Royal Tenenbaums" wanted to be ( found this to be a total bore).
I give "Igby" two thumbs up. Unfortunately, I relate too well! It's where I came from, escaped, and now find catching up to me again.

Last edited:

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
The title reminds of when Bart Simpson came out from seeing "Naked Lunch" and complained it was false advertising.

BB:

Good pick. I loved Sarandon as the mother. My older sister was very good friends with one of her sisters in high school. A feisty clan they were. I see everything she does.

Put me in mind of visiting my father when I was a teenager. The old black maid he had was a devout Pentacostal woman used to regularly report to our father while he drank his fourth scotch after work on the extent of my older brother's masturbatory experiences and narcotics use.

Many was the summer night, we would all be drunk together on good scotch sitting on the verandah discussing world politics with the old man while my brother and I were tripping out of our heads and smoking grass.

Then off to the country club for dinner for more bizarro times with drunken men in colorful golf pants and their equally drunken wives.

"Never get caught looking" was the only sexual advice my father gave me when he spied me ogling the daughters of farmers who commonly waitressed at his country club. "It's just not done."

Best, etc.

Judge Crater

re: sarandon and that hot hot scorchin'

daughter of hers eva amurri. me = would do 'em.

ss & tr do the hollywood/politics thing right, unlike fellow travelers martin sheen and john cusack.

no star fucker,
hvb

Last edited:
6 weeks and only $4 M.
It might be a good movie (haven't seen it) but anything with Amanda Peet always bombs. She was a great guest on Letterman last night though.

I think she was flirting with Dave and that there was probably some level of attraction. I don't doubt she and other mini-celebrities wouldn't mind having a private rendezvous with Dave, but that probably wouldn't go down too well if stories about having sex with the guests got out. Poor Dave... I wonder what he does for his sex life.

I liked the discussion about being hypo-chon-dri-a-cal and the best thing for it is open heart surgery.