How to get out of Moderation

billyS

Reign of Terror
Since it is a frequent question I thought I might offer some insight on the subject.

Rule number one; don't be a whiner about it. Chances are if you are in moderation it is because you really pissed off Slinky by breaking a rule or multiple rules.
You either continued posting on a subject he closed down, quoted a post that broke a rule or tried to be cute and circumvent a rule.

Or you were just really stupid and broke a simple and obvious rule so the staff knows they cannot trust you not to do it again.

In my opinion most of the people in moderation belong there although there are some who maybe made one mistake and are otherwise solid citizens.

My best advice if you are in moderation is to not bitch about it constantly.
It could be worse.
Continue to contribute and see what happens.

I am in moderation. I never asked why. I am sure it is for the betterment of society as a whole. I was warned about a rule breakage and never committed that same offense. Aside from being long-winded and verbose and grabbing hold of a topic and going deep into left field with it, I am unsure of my final breach or the last straw that threw me in the brig, probably for life. (I can't see a guy like me being released. And, if I were the moderator, meeting up with the likes of me, I probably would have done it sooner.)

Anyway, its not so bad being in the hole. Your work gets reviewed before the final print. Sometimes it gets abolished and you never see it again. In my opinion, one such piece of work was groundbreaking, at least to me. It never met the cut. And, I could never duplicate it, as it was fresh and raging within me.

But, que sera sera. I appreciate all the interactions and the fact that I am still on the air.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I am in moderation. I never asked why. I am sure it is for the betterment of society as a whole. I was warned about a rule breakage and never committed that same offense. Aside from being long-winded and verbose and grabbing hold of a topic and going deep into left field with it, I am unsure of my final breach or the last straw that threw me in the brig, probably for life. (I can't see a guy like me being released. And, if I were the moderator, meeting up with the likes of me, I probably would have done it sooner.)

Anyway, its not so bad being in the hole. Your work gets reviewed before the final print. Sometimes it gets abolished and you never see it again. In my opinion, one such piece of work was groundbreaking, at least to me. It never met the cut. And, I could never duplicate it, as it was fresh and raging within me.

But, que sera sera. I appreciate all the interactions and the fact that I am still on the air.
You got caught up in a thread where posts were deleted because we felt they were inappropriate for the board but then somebody ignored the fact we deleted the topic and restarted the conversation, which you then joined in. Everybody participating that second go around was placed in moderation. Not sure but I believe it was a bbfs shaming arc.

You got caught up in a thread where posts were deleted because we felt they were inappropriate for the board but then somebody ignored the fact we deleted the topic and restarted the conversation, which you then joined in. Everybody participating that second go around was placed in moderation. Not sure but I believe it was a bbfs shaming arc.
me too

A tip, from someone who's been there.
Even i, as wonderful a contributor as i am, have been in moderation. I was also banned for "pimping" a few years back as well.
The ban was obvious to me after i read all the rules again. I had promoted a gathering that i hadn't attended, and they hadn't advertised on utopia guide, so yes, i 100% deserved what i got. I was given access to the site again only after i read the rules thoroughly, emailed slinky, apologized for my indiscretion, explained i reread the rules, and it wouldn't happen again. After a 2 week ban, i was permitted to post reviews again. I openly apologized to the board upon my return, thanked slinky, and resumed my reviews/comments.

My cause of my moderation is still unknown to me, but i had learned a valuable lesson from my banning. I kept my mouth shut about the moderation on the board, and continued to contribute as much as i could. After 2 weeks, i emailed slinky, apologized for whatever i had done, asked him politely if, when he felt i had proven myself again, my moderation could be lifted, and never bothered him again. I continued submitting relevant posts for the next 2 weeks, without asking about, or commenting on moderation, and after the month long moderation, i was off moderation.
Moral of the story is, take it like a man. I didn't know what i did the second time around, but i had done something wrong. I contacted the owner of the site, treated him with respect, and left it in his hands, end of story. This might not work for everyone. I'm a very active, long time contributor. But give it a shot, see where it leads.
Good luck.

I've been in moderation since day 1. Doesn't bother me all that much it keeps me from posting often since I won't log in as the site is a dog when logged in. Site works speedy when not logged in.

When I first joined the site, I was in moderation. As a new member I understood that decision. But I did find it annoying. Sometimes I would comment on a post and wait days until my post was approved, only to see that the comments had moved on.

Over time I did come to appreciate the active monitoring. I have been on message boards since they first started 40 years ago. Maybe longer. Many boards devolved into name calling and useless information. Every other comment became spam posts, advertising various things, that had nothing to do with the original post.

The information on UG is accurate and can be trusted, because the rules are strictly enforced. When I see a thread going sideways and the comments turning nasty, I steer clear. I know that the moderators will be deleting them when they get to it.

This hobby can be a bit lonely. It’s not like we can publicly talk about what we do. It is nice to have a place were we can talk freely and share stories, as long as we are polite and behave.

A tip, from someone who's been there.
Even i, as wonderful a contributor as i am, have been in moderation. I was also banned for "pimping" a few years back as well.
The ban was obvious to me after i read all the rules again. I had promoted a gathering that i hadn't attended, and they hadn't advertised on utopia guide, so yes, i 100% deserved what i got. I was given access to the site again only after i read the rules thoroughly, emailed slinky, apologized for my indiscretion, explained i reread the rules, and it wouldn't happen again. After a 2 week ban, i was permitted to post reviews again. I openly apologized to the board upon my return, thanked slinky, and resumed my reviews/comments.

My cause of my moderation is still unknown to me, but i had learned a valuable lesson from my banning. I kept my mouth shut about the moderation on the board, and continued to contribute as much as i could. After 2 weeks, i emailed slinky, apologized for whatever i had done, asked him politely if, when he felt i had proven myself again, my moderation could be lifted, and never bothered him again. I continued submitting relevant posts for the next 2 weeks, without asking about, or commenting on moderation, and after the month long moderation, i was off moderation.
Moral of the story is, take it like a man. I didn't know what i did the second time around, but i had done something wrong. I contacted the owner of the site, treated him with respect, and left it in his hands, end of story. This might not work for everyone. I'm a very active, long time contributor. But give it a shot, see where it leads.
Good luck.
Most people aren't doing all that. I've been in moderation after a few months or so here. It is what it is. I don't complain, however I'm sure it bothers some and causes em to not contribute much.

When I first joined the site, I was in moderation. As a new member I understood that decision. But I did find it annoying. Sometimes I would comment on a post and wait days until my post was approved, only to see that the comments had moved on.

Over time I did come to appreciate the active monitoring. I have been on message boards since they first started 40 years ago. Maybe longer. Many boards devolved into name calling and useless information. Every other comment became spam posts, advertising various things, that had nothing to do with the original post.

The information on UG is accurate and can be trusted, because the rules are strictly enforced. When I see a thread going sideways and the comments turning nasty, I steer clear. I know that the moderators will be deleting them when they get to it.

This hobby can be a bit lonely. It’s not like we can publicly talk about what we do. It is nice to have a place were we can talk freely and share stories, as long as we are polite and behave.
From what I see from those here in reform school; they seem like a pretty nice lot of people. They write nicely and make sense. Many of the posters also gave a great many “likes” as a proportion of their posts.
Those in moderation should aim to write posts which garner “likes”; I believe likes will lead to liberation. Let’s go for liberation through “likes”!

billyS

Reign of Terror
Most people aren't doing all that. I've been in moderation after a few months or so here. It is what it is. I don't complain, however I'm sure it bothers some and causes em to not contribute much.
Let me make something clear; I for one never thought you should be in moderation.
I think Bana-shit had a personal problem with your style and campaigned for your moderation.
That said I have approved 99.9% of your posts and think you represent a typical monger.

But that's just me.

Let me make something clear; I for one never thought you should be in moderation.
I think Bana-shit had a personal problem with your style and campaigned for your moderation.
That said I have approved 99.9% of your posts and think you represent a typical monger.

But that's just me.
I think it's good you are mod. You are a true hobbyist and I rarely ever disagree with you. It's not a job that gets too much glory and recognition.

"Hear, hear! For he's a jolly good fellow!"

And, further, I will say that you have grown into the job, and have become a superb moderator who takes his job very seriously and is fair to all.

Not that you are soft, by any means, (no pun intended) because I have seen you put the hammer down, but only when it was truly warranted. (And, this is not a ploy to get out of moderation, because I am in there with some good guys. I wear it as a badge of honor. I will do my time with dignity)

True there is a sense of decorum on this site. The senior members and present moderators have honed an efficient vehicle to facilitate our proclivities.