How many people do you know who have "suddenly passed away (it the business or not)

When reading posts on UG (and other boards for that matter) it is not uncommon to see a reference to a questions about a provider that someone saw recently and see the answer "sadly provider name passed away"

Sometimes an OD is mentioned and sometime not.

Since these providers are relatively young I have to assume when cause of death isn't given that it is drug related.

I personally know of one provider and 2 others (a woman and a man both under 30 and children of people I know in my legit circle) in the past year or two.

Since my circle is limited until recently (due to covid) and I do not know of any other young people who have died of other than drug causes, I have to assume that others here know of others too.

I fact the only young provider I knew who died was an Asian who,"fell out of a 3 story window" during a LE raid in Flushing. She was the only one in the place at the time and she had prior made formal complaints about one particular cop who she said was shaking her (and others) down. She died maybe 5 years ago I think 3 days after I saw her.

So my question is "Do you guys know of any young people" in the business or not who "passed away" suddenly in the past two years?

Through all my ‘circles’ I know of over 100 people who have passed away in the last two years. All suicide, drug overdose, murder or some type of drunken/drug related accident.
At least 15 were working girls/sex workers.

The leading causes of death nationwide for people under 50 are drug overdose and suicide.

they don’t print them and you’ll never see them in the paper, but the increase in suicide deaths on Long Island is up about 1000%, the drug overdoses have continued on a chart since 2006 into a complete straight up rise. It really starts to become a straight steep incline from 2018 on. Fentanyl started to be cut more heavily around that time. In 2020, the cartels started cutting Cocaine with it which wasn’t as common prior.

Yes, having lived my whole life with knowing nobody who died of an overdose, I have had 3 since May.

All situations were tragic, as the three individuals were smart and driven until the sickness took them.

Two of them were in their mid 30s and the third in their low 20s.

It saddens and infuriates me to think that some heartless animal cut their "medicine" with poison with no regard for human life.

They come to mind almost every day along with the thoughts of what could have been.

Forgot to mention, all non-providers and both male and female

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
My sister died a couple years ago, definitely drugs. It was the saddest thing and still continues to wreak havoc on my step-mom. I’ll say this, addiction is a family disease. And if you know someone that’s struggling, realize that you can truly love them to death - it’s a real thing that happens more often than not. Sobriety is the only answer to getting your life back. Reading threads like this reassures me that #SobrietyRocks!

Once one falls into this category, rest assured that their life is changed forever. The emotional toll it takes on the family unit and those close to the deceased is devastating

Sadly, addiction and the tragic after effects is becoming all to common.. I’m sure most of you know someone in your life who has been affected by this.

( Answering the op post, I know of two providers, one of which succumbed and the other in rehab.. Both were beautiful people.. )

I'm finding the ones that i connected with best, and had the best services from, are the ones that ended up dead via overdose [though 2 were claimed to be Covid-19 deaths in 2020]

Johnny.Marr

Unabashed Shill
Through all my ‘circles’ I know of over 100 people who have passed away in the last two years. All suicide, drug overdose, murder or some type of drunken/drug related accident.
At least 15 were working girls/sex workers.

The leading causes of death nationwide for people under 50 are drug overdose and suicide.

they don’t print them and you’ll never see them in the paper, but the increase in suicide deaths on Long Island is up about 1000%, the drug overdoses have continued on a chart since 2006 into a complete straight up rise. It really starts to become a straight steep incline from 2018 on. Fentanyl started to be cut more heavily around that time. In 2020, the cartels started cutting Cocaine with it which wasn’t as common prior.
Can you show me where you saw the stats for that increase in LI suicides? I have to do a proposal for some charitable funding requests and that would be helpful. A ten-fold increase sounds awfully high and, if true, awfully concerning and I'm sure that mental health and other agencies could use the support. TIA

Can you show me where you saw the stats for that increase in LI suicides? I have to do a proposal for some charitable funding requests and that would be helpful. A ten-fold increase sounds awfully high and, if true, awfully concerning and I'm sure that mental health and other agencies could use the support. TIA
WADR, a tenfold increase (even if true, see text below this paragraph) may be "awfully high" but in actual numbers may be be less dramatic. For example if the number of people killed by rabid raccoons in the US in 2021 (I made this up) is 10 and in 2020 it was 1, that would be a tenfold increase but with numbers that small may be just a statistical fluke and should not require a mass increase in $ funding for controlling rabid raccoons.

Now as far as tenfold increase in suicides — where does that number come from?

Doing a search for tenfold increase suicides I came up with an article about tenfold increase in suicide in IRELAND since the 1960's.

Also from SNOPES:
New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that suicide deaths between 2019 and 2020 decreased by 3% overall (by 2% in males and by 8% in females).1 However, suicide deaths for males in three age groups (10–14 years, 15–24 years, and 25–34 years) increased. And while suicide deaths decreased amongst white and Asian males, deaths increased for Black, American Indian and Alaskan Native, and Hispanic males.

Some info from CDC:
suicide rate in US 2019 8.6/100,000
suicide rate slightly declined each year from 2018, 20119 and 2020.

Although terrible for the families involved is there a problem? IDK

Johnny.Marr

Unabashed Shill
@genius - IDK if there is a problem. If Massy's number is correct, there is.

For example, one report I saw said there were 89 suicide deaths in Nassau County in 2018. That doesn't sound like a problem compared to drug overdose deaths, homicide deaths, automobile accident deaths. If the number jumped to 890, however, that would be a problem.

I need hard numbers for my proposal. Massy must have seen figures somewhere in order to make his claim. No reason he can't publish the actual number here or at least the information he saw that said "UP about 1000%." Otherwise, he just made it UP.

@genius - IDK if there is a problem. If Massy's number is correct, there is.

For example, one report I saw said there were 89 suicide deaths in Nassau County in 2018. That doesn't sound like a problem compared to drug overdose deaths, homicide deaths, automobile accident deaths. If the number jumped to 890, however, that would be a problem.

I need hard numbers for my proposal. Massy must have seen figures somewhere in order to make his claim. No reason he can't publish the actual number here or at least the information he saw that said "UP about 1000%." Otherwise, he just made it UP.
2020, i dont think 2021 has been released yet
https://aws-fetch.s3.amazonaws.com/state-fact-sheets/2020/2020-state-fact-sheets-new-york.pdf

From CDC...
found that Emergency Department visits for suspected suicide attempts among adolescents ages 12 to 17 began spiking in May 2020. And ER visits increased more than 50% in the early months of 2021 compared with 2019, a likely product of the emotional toll of the COVID-19 pandemic on young people

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7024e1.htm?s_cid=mm7024e1_w

Meryl Cassidy, executive director of the Response Crisis Center in Stony Brook, a volunteer-based suicide prevention hotline, said there has been a 30% increase in calls for assistance since COVID-19 began and a 60% spike in texts and chats to their helpline. Overall, the center received 65,000 calls and chats in 2020, compared with 42,000 in 2019, she said.

Historically, females attempt suicide at three times the rate of men — and four times that level in Suffolk — but men take their lives at twice the rate of women, Cassidy said.
"Girls are more social than boys," Reynolds said. "Taking that away from young women put them in a really vulnerable place and that's part of why we are seeing that disparity among emergency visits."

The report found the rate of suspected suicide attempts among adolescent boys and individuals of all genders ages 18 to 25 largely remained stable during the pandemic. And while suicide attempts increased, the report found suicide deaths among young people did not change significantly during this time period.

U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA) report shows that in 2018, more than 10 million adults aged 18 or older thought seriously about trying to kill themselves. More than 1.2 million Americans attempted suicide in 2018, according to the American Association of Suicidology; Of that, 48,344 completed suicide. The rate of suicide is highest in middle-aged white men.

That same year, 100 people in Suffolk and 90 in Nassau took their own lives.

Another source
https://www.livestories.com/statistics/new-york/suffolk-county-suicide-deaths-mortality

https://www.tfah.org/story/new-data...cans-mental-health-substance-use-and-suicide/

The increased rates during the pandemic seem to have only occurred to teenage girls and the incarcerated.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/11/sui...than-50percent-during-pandemic-cdc-says-.html

More government research on the pandemic and suicide
https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2021...sis-further-exposed-by-covid-19-pandemic.html

https://publications.aap.org/pediat...icide-Risk-in-Adolescents-During-the-COVID-19

Change in patterns of behaviors regarding suicide in pandemic vs pre-pandemic era's
https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12888-021-03570-y

Many of you would be appalled at the amount of crime not reported by the ‘media’ and the amount of incidents not even given police reports. There are many reasons for this that I won’t get into at this moment or on this platform.

overdose and suicide numbers in America are not accurately reported, if they were you would see there is an epidemic not a ‘pandemic’.
If you are under the age of 50 both of them are the leading causes of death and only going upward.

both those topics hit my direct home and I don’t really want to talk too much more about my involvement & why I know things. The whole point of this board is well, confidentially. Although I would love to have a beer with some of you.

Many of you would be appalled at the amount of crime not reported by the ‘media’ and the amount of incidents not even given police reports. There are many reasons for this that I won’t get into at this moment or on this platform.

overdose and suicide numbers in America are not accurately reported, if they were you would see there is an epidemic not a ‘pandemic’.
If you are under the age of 50 both of them are the leading causes of death and only going upward.

both those topics hit my direct home and I don’t really want to talk too much more about my involvement & why I know things. The whole point of this board is well, confidentially. Although I would love to have a beer with some of you.
I only liked your post, because I do believe we share a similar story..

The overall decline of sound mentally healthy beings, accompanied with an ever growing population of drug users is just a recipe for disaster..

Indeed ever since I discovered citizens app you come to realize how much craziness is going on all day and night.

@Monty_monty - Thank you for those statistics. I'm sure I can use them for my proposal even though the suicide situation isn't anywhere even remotely close as dire as @Massy claimed.
The 2021 and 2022 reports are now available (2021 is a waste of time, 1 single 1/4 sheet of info)

https://aws-fetch.s3.amazonaws.com/state-fact-sheets/2021/2021-state-fact-sheets-new-york.pdf
https://aws-fetch.s3.amazonaws.com/state-fact-sheets/2022/2022-state-fact-sheets-new-york.pdf

And this link is now updated through first half of 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7024e1.htm?s_cid=mm7024e1_w

In the Last two years I’ve lost more people I know than ever.
I contribute it to the face we’re all getting older and as is our circle of friends, co workers..
I’ve worked with a guy, he was about 75 and finally decided to retire on a random Friday. We had cup cakes and a small give away we collected from everyone at the office. He went home Friday and never woke up in Saturday.
I was shocked and depressed for weeks.

Listing only those in my social circle:

2 neighbors, age 52 male, 62 female) from COVID (pre vaccine).

2 young people (1 was low 20's another high teens) in past 12 months from OD (stuff laced with fentanyl), middle class family kids living at home.