Heroin, drug addiction and other related topics

Similar experience here. I didn’t need to go to AA although I did struggle psychologically to overcome those cravings after work and on weekends. It’s understandably tough. Like someone else pointed out, sometimes people grow out of their shitty lifestyle choices and/or grow tired of the burden it brings into their life; more money for mongering, hobbies, groceries, gas - things of that nature.

I first got serious quitting last summer in 2021. I spent three months clean as a whistle from booze (June-Sept) which was the longest time I’d gone without a drink ever since I picked up a drink! Then as the weather got cooler, days got darker, and the stress from the pandemic came back to haunt me (amongst other problems), I caved and relapsed later that September. I haven’t drank hard liquor or even wine since 2019, and never have been in trouble legally, but I have just learned throughout the years I can’t control my alcohol intake — no matter what kind of drink it is — and that my body is much better off without it.

Spent my birthday last October getting drunk by myself, it was really depressing that I undid all that hard work and wasn’t happy. The pluses to quitting, I had lost all the lockdown weight, my skin cleared up, I slept better, no worrying about if I’m “good enough” to drive or anything. Now I have another 3+ months in the bag and intend to keep it that way.

I have no urge/s to drink at all anymore. I think I’ve gotten everything I could out of it at this point. Slip-ups and relapses are quite common amongst seasoned drinkers/dry alcoholics, but it’s about how you learn from it. I took each mess up as a learning experience and just grateful it wasn’t anything worse. Now there is no turning back for me, either.
You outlined so many points that struck home in so many ways. Thank you for that, i needed it.

You are certainly right about dwi you can’t get just one. Visits in the South when young I saw first hand what they do to drunk drivers. Friend said you couldn’t put a gun to my head and make me take a sip of liquor and get behind the wheel of a car. Nosireebob
I was in Munich once on business. My rep there picked me up at hotel to go out for dinner.

So he drives me about a mile to the restaurant.

Next door was another place were they play German music, serve wurst and the waitress (blonde with pigtails) is dressed in traditional outfit with large tits and low cut white blouse. (I wasn't that hungry and would rather go there if he didn't mind.) Wonderful sight seeing her approach our table with a large beer stein in each hand and tits almost popping out. Then she came back with the wurst.

Anyway, we had our beer and wurst, talked about the busy business day ahead and headed out. He said "Sorry, but we have to walk back to hotel, its hard to get a cab in this area and I had a beer. I'll pick up my car in the morning."