Help with Google Voice?

I recently got a Google Voice number but I'm not sure how it will help in this hobby. I understand that I can give someone my GV number as my phone number, and they dial it and it transfers the call to my cell phone (or whatever other phones I have it linked to). But is there a way where outgoing calls from my cell phone register on the receiving end as my GV number instead of my actual cell phone number?

Google voice

I recently got a Google Voice number but I'm not sure how it will help in this hobby. I understand that I can give someone my GV number as my phone number, and they dial it and it transfers the call to my cell phone (or whatever other phones I have it linked to). But is there a way where outgoing calls from my cell phone register on the receiving end as my GV number instead of my actual cell phone number?
THere are no shortage of "how to" videos on the google voice website that will walk you thru any process. My experience is you can set it up and customize it how ever you want. As far as making a call from your GV number you have to add the app to your smart phone which I minimize inside a cluster of technical apps incase S.O. looks at my phone screen. Then from the app just use the dial pad and it will dial from your phone via GV #. Also you can text from your computer or dial if you have microphone capability,once again you have to open google voice.

MINE IS SET UP AS FOLLOWS. NOTHING GETS FORWARDED TO MY PHONE...NOTHING! IT ALL GOES TO EMAIL THEN I MARK IT AS SPAM SO IT DISSAPEARS FROM MY REGULAR MESSAGES .OPEN THE GV WEBPAGE AND ALL MY STUFF IS SECURE IN GV NOT FORWARDED TO MY PHONE. JUST A MATTER OF SETTINGS AND TAKING TIME TO WATCH INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS,THEN I TESTED IT USING ANOTHER PHONE.

It's all about the set up

I did all my set up on a computer-I dont even have an icon for google voice. I use google chrome and open "incognito window" under file then I go to GV website. I control everything from there . Since I use GV "incognito" search tool I don't need to erase this search it does it automatically. The only time I access GV on my phone is using almost invisible icon in group of icons rarely used on Iphone and then it's only to retrieve texts or send texts from GV not my regular text.

Well worth learning how to use but training The girls is another story. I blocked the ones I didn't want to see on my regular account and gave the ones I did want to see my GV number resulting in a couple of days of small mishaps that I ironed out with them. When it comes to GV it's real easy to block someone and much easier than blocking #'s on regular carrier.

When contacting "new " people the advantages of GV are numerous. Happy mongering.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
I have an iPhone, and while the GV app is convenient, it has a few problems. If you call from the app, your GV number does not show on the receiving end. Also, DO NOT make international calls using the GV iPhone app!! You will not get the cheap GV rates. Instead, your regular cell carrier will bill you whatever their rate is.

I nearly always make my calls by clicking "call" on the GV web site. That way, my number shows, and I get the good rate if I'm calling international.

I have an iPhone, and while the GV app is convenient, it has a few problems. If you call from the app, your GV number does not show on the receiving end. Also, DO NOT make international calls using the GV iPhone app!! You will not get the cheap GV rates. Instead, your regular cell carrier will bill you whatever their rate is.

I nearly always make my calls by clicking "call" on the GV web site. That way, my number shows, and I get the good rate if I'm calling international.
Bottom line.. If LE wants to find out who your calling and getting calls from they can just as easily subpoena Google as they can Verizon. Do not be thinking you are hiding from LE radar. If that's the objective only solution is burn phone .

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Every time I have made a call from the GV app on my phone, the recipient saw my google voice number in the caller id.

Even without a smart phone, you can make calls from your google voice number. You dial into your own number and then use the menu system to initiate a call.

Also, if you receive a text message from someone to your google voice number, then if you call back the number the text came from it will ring through to the person you want, using your google voice number in the caller id.

My understanding is that when I call someone using Google Voice, that that number appears to the provider, not my iPhone number. I haven't actually seen the other end of this, so if anyone knows for sure, I'd sleep better knowing that it's anonymous.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Yes, when you initiate a call from within the Google Voice system (whether by the web, by an app, or by dialing into the system from a non-smart phone) then the recipient sees your Google Voice number on their caller ID.

It's free, so get a number and test it before you actually use it.

I use GV app on IP 5 and the person I am calling def gets the GV number. I used to have a hobby phone but that was a pain. GV is very convenient. When I am done, I just delete all the history in it but then my SO would never figure out how to use it. Good way to go.

I use GV app on IP 5 and the person I am calling def gets the GV number. I used to have a hobby phone but that was a pain. GV is very convenient. When I am done, I just delete all the history in it but then my SO would never figure out how to use it. Good way to go.
Are you assuming they are forever deleted? Think again .

My understanding is that when I call someone using Google Voice, that that number appears to the provider, not my iPhone number. I haven't actually seen the other end of this, so if anyone knows for sure, I'd sleep better knowing that it's anonymous.
It does show up as another number but it also doesn't work very well, the calls rarely go through to speak to anyone live, it's a very unreliable system.

GV is really only good for texting. I tried GV for a short while for a text option but and after a few frustrating sexting incidents I went back to my standard system. The problem with any free is it usually not such a great service. I'm at the point that if I get a number and it's GV I might not respond. I just had someone recently that provided only a GV number that of course he never answered after several attempts and then wrote me to send my number instead, like that's going to happen. GV definitely has it's place but I think if you want to contact an established provider it's not the best show of faith and trust to her.

Off topic, I was very impressed with your posts regarding tipping.

Last edited:
I've used Google Voice for a long time and have had very few problems with reliability. One thing to keep in mind is that since GV phone calls are routed through the internet, it will only work well if you have a decent internet connection.

The person you are calling through GV will never know that you are calling from a GV number unless you tell them.

I've used Google Voice for a long time and have had very few problems with reliability. One thing to keep in mind is that since GV phone calls are routed through the internet, it will only work well if you have a decent internet connection.

The person you are calling through GV will never know that you are calling from a GV number unless you tell them.
They will know if you use a GV number as your call number with a provider who is email only because an automated voice says the goggle voice prescriber is not available state your name and we will try and find them. If a provider or agency posts a number which could also be a disposable number like GV and you actually get through on the first time no they will not know but if you leave the GV number on their VM and they call back and you don't answer they will know, it's really confusing. With all these new phone methods caller ID will become obsolete, it's gone back to pre-caller ID pay phone style days but without the pay phone. I have personally had difficulty receiving and calling through GV but I don't use a laptop and the sexting became annoying. I can see the temptation but it should be a two way street, I'm not their girlfriend. I thought it would be more convenient way to schedule guys I knew but it turned into a mess and caused uncomfortable moments ending connections that didn't have to happen. I think the less ways you can screw something up the better, keep things simple and straightforward.

They will know if you use a GV number as your call number with a provider who is email only because an automated voice says the goggle voice prescriber is not available state your name and we will try and find them.
There are options in the Google Voice settings, accessible through a browser, that allow users to allow or disallow the automated messages. (In the case you describe, it would be turning off "Call Screening.") It is possible to set GV up to function just like any other voicemail/answering machine.

There are options in the Google Voice settings, accessible through a browser, that allow users to allow or disallow the automated messages. (In the case you describe, it would be turning off "Call Screening.") It is possible to set GV up to function just like any other voicemail/answering machine.
I guess I didn't get that far and it's been a few years, my only experience is calling guys who have GV now although I still keep my account open. I gave up on Twitter too, like I wrote the less to complicate things the better.

Well the question was answered, the number is different when calling someone from GV, it looks like a telemarketer number. I actually has a guy I know call md from GV and I didn't answer because I thought it was spam.

Well the question was answered, the number is different when calling someone from GV, it looks like a telemarketer number. I actually has a guy I know call md from GV and I didn't answer because I thought it was spam.
It's possible to control which number appears on somebody's caller ID when calling from a GV account. Again, it depends on how your settings are configured.