Has money “changed the game” and your feelings towards it?

I’d like to ask opinion here—

The amount of money being thrown around nowadays towards salaries, sponsorships is mind boggling.

There is much discussion, debate and love for the game here-

Do any of you feel the money has “changed the game” and your feelings towards it?

billyS

Reign of Terror
No not really for me.
Once the game starts I could give a shit how much players make.

And I think too much is made of it. When I was commuting to work I'd listen to the sports talk and I'd always hear these crusty old guys saying how much they hate the game today because it's all about money blah blah blah blah.

The fact is TV networks are willing to pay what they do so that affords owners the ability to pay these ridiculous salaries.

People bitch about how expensive it is to go to a game yet both the Mets and Yankees have no problem selling their tickets so obviously someone is buying them.

I'm just scratching the surface here.

This topic can go in so many directions.
Which is why I felt it deserves its own thread.

The real question will be how will direct streaming change the game? Right now networks still have the upper hand, and will for another 3-10 years (really depends on a variety of factors, but I can see them losing the grip in 5 years or so). Streaming is going to change everything. The ability to watch only your team will give individual teams a lot of earning power and cause a rift with the networks.
The leagues may have to alter the breakouts based on streaming. Consider the possibility of having one app and paying a flat fee to the leagues directly to see only your team, potentially without ads (highly unlikely, but possible).

This is a very real possibility, and it just comes down to timing of contracts and willingness of leagues (and teams) to invest in the tech which is getting cheaper by the day.

As for people going to the games, that is true that SOME teams have no problem selling tix. But lots of teams do have a problem. It wasn't too long ago that the Washington Nationals were selling tix for $5 just to get asses in the seats. In fact, it was only 10 years ago that a home game against Philadelphia was really a home game for Philly...fans would swoop up all the cheap tix and drive down.

Covid has caused an uptick in ticket sales, I imagine. A day at the park as a respite has been long awaited. But I don't think any increased sales of tix to be long-lived. And if streaming becomes widespread, going to the game will be a luxury. Why go when a day at the beach with your mobile device gives you fun and a game at the same time?

Times are changing. Gotta wonder if the leagues are really prepared for this. In a way, I think baseball (more than other sports) would benefit by setting itself up like the English Soccer Leagues and have teams promoted and relegated. Makes every game more interesting.

I know the question is whether money changed the game - but the reality is the game has always been changing. If it wasn't money, it was something else (live ball vs dead ball, free agency, foreign players, steroids, etc.).

No not really for me.
Once the game starts I could give a shit how much players make.

And I think too much is made of it. When I was commuting to work I'd listen to the sports talk and I'd always hear these crusty old guys saying how much they hate the game today because it's all about money blah blah blah blah.

The fact is TV networks are willing to pay what they do so that affords owners the ability to pay these ridiculous salaries.

People bitch about how expensive it is to go to a game yet both the Mets and Yankees have no problem selling their tickets so obviously someone is buying them.

I'm just scratching the surface here.

This topic can go in so many directions.
Which is why I felt it deserves its own thread.
Interesting read about the state of the game .

https://nypost.com/2021/08/19/steve-cohen-should-have-known-the-mlb-he-was-buying-into/

The amount of money being thrown around nowadays towards salaries, sponsorships is mind boggling.

Do any of you feel the money has “changed the game” and your feelings towards it?
Best games are watching your kids or grandkids play.

I don’t know I couldn’t sit infront of tv for hours watching grown men. Now if it was female volleyball I’m there

D

Deleted member 128262

Ever notice how every other ad seems to be a sponsor for sports gambling these days?