Hacking FOSTA/SESTA

There's an abundance of evidence that a 2018 law aimed at sex advertising has been bad for sex workers, bad for victims of exploitation, and bad for free speech online.

https://reason.com/2022/03/09/the-sex-ad-law-fosta-was-a-mistake-some-lawmakers-want-to-fix-it/

Sadly, Very few members of Congress are ever going to vote to overturn what has been touted as an "anti-sex trafficking" law—regardless of whether it actually works or not—because they don't want to have to defend that vote to their ill-informed constituents or to have it used against them by their unscrupulous opponents in the next election.

pokler

Power Bottom
There's an abundance of evidence that a 2018 law aimed at sex advertising has been bad for sex workers, bad for victims of exploitation, and bad for free speech online.

https://reason.com/2022/03/09/the-sex-ad-law-fosta-was-a-mistake-some-lawmakers-want-to-fix-it/

Sadly, Very few members of Congress are ever going to vote to overturn what has been touted as an "anti-sex trafficking" law—regardless of whether it actually works or not—because they don't want to have to defend that vote to their ill-informed constituents or to have it used against them by their unscrupulous opponents in the next election.
Mongers like us see this from what I'll call the good side of the tracks which are amps and inde girls who are cool with selling themselves. But we turn a blind eye to the bad side which are girls beaten and forced to sell themselves.
These laws are meant to protect them and if some disruption of our world is the collateral damage so be it .

Mongers like us see this from what I'll call the good side of the tracks which are amps and inde girls who are cool with selling themselves. But we turn a blind eye to the bad side which are girls beaten and forced to sell themselves.
These laws are meant to protect them and if some disruption of our world is the collateral damage so be it .
Yes I suspect that as you say there is "the bad side which are girls beaten and forced to sell themselves." I suspect that it is more on the very low end of sex work perhaps involving pimps.

Whoever, consider the cases where the certain DA's with an agenda are exploiting the law to go after the voluntary exchange of sex for money. They go after the low hanging fruit and not the pimps and traffickers, IMHO.

For example the Flush the Johns busts which were made at hotels and over 100 guys had their photos published in the press. The justification for this was to quote DA K. Rice, "Anyone who thinks this is a victimless crime has not met a sex worker. There are victims, and the johns are the ones who are exploiting them,"

This is NOT an example of "if some disruption of our world is the collateral damage"

pokler

Power Bottom
Yes I suspect that as you say there is "the bad side which are girls beaten and forced to sell themselves." I suspect that it is more on the very low end of sex work perhaps involving pimps.

Whoever, consider the cases where the certain DA's with an agenda are exploiting the law to go after the voluntary exchange of sex for money. They go after the low hanging fruit and not the pimps and traffickers, IMHO.

For example the Flush the Johns busts which were made at hotels and over 100 guys had their photos published in the press. The justification for this was to quote DA K. Rice, "Anyone who thinks this is a victimless crime has not met a sex worker. There are victims, and the johns are the ones who are exploiting them,"

This is NOT an example of "if some disruption of our world is the collateral damage"
As I said " so be it "

You want to engage in prostitution knowing full well it's illegal ? Then accept the risk .
Want to mitigated that risk ?
Then never TOFTT. If those 100 suckers had taken Polkers advice they'd not of had their lives ruined by the busts.

As I said " so be it "

You want to engage in prostitution knowing full well it's illegal ? Then accept the risk .......
We like to think that we live in a society where the consequences of our actions are commensurate with the severity of the damage that such actions cause society.

So although it would greatly increase compliance with recycling, it is not commensurate for the government to check someones garbage pail for a plastic bottle that should have been recycled and if one is found arrest the guy, parade him in the press, threaten him with years of imprisonment, and bankrupt him with legal costs. And then have someone say "well you knew and accepted the risk of throwing the bottle in the trash instead of recycling it — you accepted the risk"

IMHO, what DA Rice did was literally a small step above that, wasting taxpayers money and resources that could be put to better use on offenses to society that really matter.

I read an article a few days ago that reported that the original authors of FOSTA/SESTA are disappointed in it. They recognize that consensual sex work is getting caught up in the hunt for sex trafficking. They are in the middle of making an update to it.

I believe that there was such big fanfare in the announcement against trafficking, that LE is under pressure to find it. As I think back over my 20+ years of mongering I can not think of a single provider that I thought was there against their will. There were many that gave the appearance of not liking their job or choices, but that is not the same thing.

It's telling that in all the years since passage there have been few if any convictions for sex trafficking. There have been many press releases about people being charged, but ultimately those charges get dismissed. This tells me that while sex trafficking is a terrible thing it is very rare.

Hopefully with the move towards decriminalization, they can focus more on actual sex trafficking.