H-mart, wet market, 7-11 cuisine and other off topic gas station foods.

Before covid I would cruise h-Mart on Saturday, or Sunday, and basically get a free lunch by trying all the samples they offered..

Jolibee has some good fried chicken..

And the was a place on Roosevelt right by the BQE that had the balls to call themselves KFC (Korean Fried Chicken).... The sign didn't last but the chicken was good..

I shop at H-Mart but their prices are actually kind of high compared to some of the Chinatown supermarkets like Hong Kong Supermarket.
I agree with you about the price, and a Chinese supermarket has a much wider range of inventory, especially with respect to spices, herbs, even utensils, varieties of rices from all over Asia, including black and red rices from Vietnam , Cambodia, Thailand, and products from Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan, Macau. Wider variety of cuts of meats, seafood, fowl, internal organs. You can have a closer relationship with the butcher as far as getting something not on display.

H-Mart emphasizes that more simple stripped Asian (Korean-Japanese) staple cuisine, of rice, soybean products, lesser variety of seafood, lesser variety of meats and internal organs, salty, sweet, hot red spice, tangy, vinegary, garlicky.

But, as far as freshness and quality, I will choose H-Mart. More organized, more military-PX mart-esque, very orderly, cleaner, stricter stringent standards, closer attention to expiration dates, and seldom a discounted section. They just want the decaying fruits and vegetables out of sight ASAP. Employees, managers, cashiers, much less relaxed and totally on the ball. More corporate/military structure. Plus, they have their own brand on many of the staples like soba noodles, soy sauce, miso, dumplings, et cetera.

But, to be expected, because they are a big chain all over the US and Canada and even overseas.

And, I agree, MORE EXPENSIVE. But, I do love the H-Mart shopping experience on staples like a 20 pound bag of rice, jug of soy sauce, good quality fresh sesame seeds.

I agree with you about the price, and a Chinese supermarket has a much wider range of inventory, especially with respect to spices, herbs, even utensils, varieties of rices from all over Asia, including black and red rices from Vietnam , Cambodia, Thailand, and products from Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan, Macau. Wider variety of cuts of meats, seafood, fowl, internal organs. You can have a closer relationship with the butcher as far as getting something not on display.

H-Mart emphasizes that more simple stripped Asian (Korean-Japanese) staple cuisine, of rice, soybean products, lesser variety of seafood, lesser variety of meats and internal organs, salty, sweet, hot red spice, tangy, vinegary, garlicky.

But, as far as freshness and quality, I will choose H-Mart. More organized, more military-PX mart-esque, very orderly, cleaner, stricter stringent standards, closer attention to expiration dates, and seldom a discounted section. They just want the decaying fruits and vegetables out of sight ASAP. Employees, managers, cashiers, much less relaxed and totally on the ball. More corporate/military structure. Plus, they have their own brand on many of the staples like soba noodles, soy sauce, miso, dumplings, et cetera.

But, to be expected, because they are a big chain all over the US and Canada and even overseas.

And, I agree, MORE EXPENSIVE. But, I do love the H-Mart shopping experience on staples like a 20 pound bag of rice, jug of soy sauce, good quality fresh sesame seeds.
Seafood and meat selection H marts by me in NJ have a large selection.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator

I used to shop at what I thought was the original location on 32nd St. where they had the big bags of rice stacked up right when you walked in the door. Also one of the one's on Northern Blvd where they were stacked up outside by the entrance. Now the one's in Manhattan you can't even find the largest sizes of most staples at all.

From what I understand the Chinatown places have better prices on produce because they actually have their own networks of somewhat local farmers.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-fruits-and-veggies-are-so-crazy-cheap-in-chinatown-1466762400

I used to shop at what I thought was the original location on 32nd St. where they had the big bags of rice stacked up right when you walked in the door. Also one of the one's on Northern Blvd where they were stacked up outside by the entrance. Now the one's in Manhattan you can't even find the largest sizes of most staples at all.

From what I understand the Chinatown places have better prices on produce because they actually have their own networks of somewhat local farmers.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-fruits-and-veggies-are-so-crazy-cheap-in-chinatown-1466762400
Interesting article ty
Wish there were places like this in LI