Grammar and Usage

Since UG is simply not your usual whoreboard, I think it deserves a Grammar and Usage thread. I've decided to include misspellings as a usage error as not to clutter the title.

Misspellings, grammar and usage errors that are clearly the result of the limitations and hazards of posting using a cell phone or the clear indication of the posters level of intoxication should not be included.

In my self-absorbed world, I assumed this thread was started because of my recent correction of someone on that one. ;)
I believe you are correct about that, sir. In the Nikki no drip thread, happyandy made a reference to your including punctuation within quotes, an American style that differs from the British. I commented on that, genius piled on and before you know it the thread was hopelessly hijacked! I recommended a new forum and genius began this. It should be fun.

Hahha my friends in other states often don't know what I'm talking about heh
I was once with a gf who was from MA. We went to a Greek restaurant that had a belly dancer. I was really surprised that the dancer was the owners daughter as he was a conservative (as conservative as a Greek can be anyway) guy. Anyway she said that belly dancing was socially acceptable for women. Asked her jokingly if Greek fathesr only had zaftig daughters. She had no clue what zaftig meant so I explained it was yddish (actually high German) for an alluringly plump, curvaceous, buxom woman. Gotta love the Yiddish words; one word coveys meaning that English takes 5 to describe.
Although commonly used by non-Jewish New Yorkers (genius is a goy) many Yiddish words are slowly being used by other parts of the US. Think of chutzpah, mentsh, bupkes, klutz, schlemiel and, of course, schmuck as common examples.

The em-dash can be created on computer keyboard by using holding down the ALT key and typing 0151 on the numeric keypad with num lock on. It looks like this — as opposed to double hyphen -- that looks stupid. Total pain in the ass on smart phones.

Not worth the trouble, IMHO, unless you are sending something out for publication.

[quote="WizardOfAhhs, post: 1148228, member: 118033
http://107.170.79.139/forums/thread...ommit-one-crime-at-a-time.53876/#post-1148020

The possessive form of a word ending in s.
Most newer style manuals have the 's as it tends to be more natural in terms of pronunciation. Either genius' or genius's is acceptable.[/quote]

Actually... genius's shows possession, as in, that review of that hooker is genius's... whereas genius' shows plural, as in, happy mongering from the genius' (like the entire genius family). I believe...but I isn't no grammar professor.

Actually... genius's shows possession, as in, that review of that hooker is genius's... whereas genius' shows plural, as in, happy mongering from the genius' (like the entire genius family). I believe...but I isn't no grammar professor.
The form genius' was taught many moons ago (when I was in primary school) to indicate possessive but updated style manuals, e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, uses genius's to keep it more normal looking or less awkward in terms of how it is pronounced. Both appear to be acceptable and in use today. The plural of genius, as long as I remember and in my style manual (note that I always used a style manual specifically written for technical writing), has always been geniuses.

The form genius' was taught many moons ago (when I was in primary school) to indicate possessive but updated style manuals, e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, uses genius's to keep it more normal looking or less awkward in terms of how it is pronounced. Both appear to be acceptable and in use today. The plural of genius, as long as I remember and in my style manual (note that I always used a style manual specifically written for technical writing), has always been geniuses.
Showing our ages are we? Oh my...!

The em-dash can be created on computer keyboard by using holding down the ALT key and typing 0151 on the numeric keypad with num lock on. It looks like this — as opposed to double hyphen -- that looks stupid. Total pain in the ass on smart phones.

Not worth the trouble, IMHO, unless you are sending something out for publication.
Actually, adding em-dash and other non-standard punctuation is not that much of a pain in the ass on a smartphone. In some cases, simply holding down the hyphen key and selecting will do the job, but in those cases that it doesn't, switch to the numerical keys and press on the minus key. That typically generates a choice of three: hyphen, em-dash and en-dash. I really don't think the double hyphen looks all that bad, though, and gets the point across pretty easily.

Remember that the ALT codes only work on keyboards with a dedicated numerical keypad on the right, not the number keys along the top. This can be an issue with smaller laptops that don't have a separate numerical pad. In this case, Character Map (in all Windows systems) is another method that you can use to input non-standard characters. But pretty much any word processor worth its salt (Word, LibreOffice Writer, WordPerfect, etc.) will differentiate the hyphen and dash for you automatically.

I'll admit I thought the idea of adding a "Grammar and usage" thread to a mongering board was pretty stupid.

But since it is here I had a question, I''m trying to find the correct spelling of load, as in she sucked my cock until i was about to pop then i shot my load on her face. Is this the correct spelling?