Golden Gypsy bust

I've been there a few times but nobody knows why they were busted. I haven't seen even a credible rumor on the San fran message boards. Somebody said it may have been a Federal thing, maybe taxes, but that's just an idle rumor.

They have actually been operating since 1973 in the same location across the street from a busy supermarket in the middle of a commercial/residential area a couple of miles from the UC Berkeley campus.

Back in the day there were dozens of massage parlors in Berkeley but now there are just a couple of small AMPs.

The Golden Gypsy was unique in that it was run completely like a brothel. When you walked in the girls would line up (just like in Nevada) and the customer would pick a girl, negotiate a price, and have sex.

The local newspaper accounts are pathetic. They say that the place was busted for being a brothel. Not a single local reporter has gotten off their lazy ass to wonder why they got busted when they did, after almost thirty years of providing exactly the same service at the same location.

fish

Well, now I have one less reason to hold off on writing my memoirs... I don't have to worry about getting anyone in trouble any more.

It is a real shame, because that place played a pretty big role in my life. I basically came of age there! (Well, OK, I was an adult when I started, but you know what I mean...)

You're right, Fish - it's lazy of them to not wonder what's been going on in that place for 30 years. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if something pops up in one of the weekly papers in the next few months.

K.S.