Gallbladder surgery

Hi all,

Recently I had to goto the hospital for gallstones in my gallbladder. Although I came out ok cause it passed, the doctors are suggesting that I should get surgery to have it removed. Thats not a problem but I've heard TONS of stories that your weight gain will be tremendous! Does anyone know of someone who had this surgery and if the weight thing is for sure? Its a common problem from what I hear...

Hi all,

Recently I had to goto the hospital for gallstones in my gallbladder. Although I came out ok cause it passed, the doctors are suggesting that I should get surgery to have it removed. Thats not a problem but I've heard TONS of stories that your weight gain will be tremendous! Does anyone know of someone who had this surgery and if the weight thing is for sure? Its a common problem from what I hear...
Sorry to hear that, I heard it's painful. My Mom gained alot of weight when she had hers removed but she was not skinny before that. Maybe they will give you something to decrease your appetite if you really need it. I always talk to doctors about weight gain concerns with certain drugs and they usually try something else when they know how serious the issue is.

I have acid reflux and the last really bad attack messed up my gall bladder. They also told me if it happens again I will need to get my gallbladder removed, maybe they just tell everyone and sees who does it. Avoid things that might aggravate it (running, certain foods) take zantac everyday (plus other things more realated to avioding gall stones) to keep and see if you can dodge the surgery. It been many years and I have been fine, do not so anything until you researched the other options thoroughly. My Mom is the type that just listens to everything doctors say but I like to question.

I've had it removed almost 20 years ago...they still did it the old-fashioned way back then, meaning I have a foot long scar. As far as weight gain is concerned - didn't happen at all. If you maintain a reasonable diet, quantity wise, there should be no problem.

Or could be a good time to try the master cleanse diet.
The Master Cleanse might send the digestive system into shock. You could develop too much stomach acid from the overload of citrus acid (not to mention the spicy cayenne pepper) and lack of absorbing food. You could then go into what is known as non cardiac arrest and damage the gall bladder even further.

Better a consult a nutritionist because certain foods produce more stomach acid disrupting the balance. Coffee, eggs, anything fermented, citrus, spicy food should all be avoided or consumed in moderation. Master Cleanse is good if you have alot of toxins or parasites (yuck!) in your intestines. Some people really believe in it. I tried it just for the heck of it was in so much pain from acid reflux I lasted a day.

Classically, many symptomatic patients with gallstones have "fatty food intolerance." i.e. they become symptomatic when they eat fatty food. With the gallbladder gone there is no longer this negative reinforcement. That being said I am not aware of an association between cholecystectomy and subsequent weight gain.

I did a gall bladder cleanse recently. I took Chomper by Arise & Shine for two weeks - or you can use Turkey Rhubarb and then drank Apple Juice w/Ortho-Phos for three days. You also have to have a colonic on the third morning of the 3 day juice part. It also cleansed the liver. Felt great afterwards.