Free Tourneys

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Lately a new fad has emerged at the bars in my area. Theyve been having poker nights with free entries and a small prize pool. (100 dollars top prize and gift certificates for the next 3 places) The top 4 winners of the last 5 weeks then play in a tournament of champions that wins a trip to vegas.

Ive played in about 6 tourneys so far and theyve been very popular and since they can only let 80 play at once (with 10 reserves) the blinds go quick since you have to eliminate 80 to 1 within 4 hours.

I must say that although its free and Ive met some fellow poker players, this style is more luck than any poker Ive played due to the blind structure. Still, its fun and a good night out. and did I mention its free?

Are these poker night tourneys emerging in NYC also or is it just in the Philly area so far?

I've never heard of this in NYC, but then again I don't get out that much....

I'd be interested if this exists in Manhattan though... sounds like fun. (and you said it was free, right?)

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Since gambling is illegal in PA (except horse racing and slots in designated buildings) they cant have an entry fee. But since its free, it becomes a competition or contest.

There's one big group in particular who is running these tournaments. I guess they get the bars to pay them money for running the games since they bring in alot of customers. And they use a part of the money to give prizes.