Flushing - Bayside discussion

Years ago flushing was the border of Long Island which is now called little Neck. If you look at the post office in little neck it says Flushing outside on the building. If you live in bayside and order online the city will come up flushing when the zip code is enter.

I asked a postal worker in Little Neck why does it says Flushing on the building instead of little neck. He explain that years ago the whole area was know as Flushing. As time went by it started getting re named and zoned. To what you have today. But not everyone up to date on this so when ordering online flushing will still show up and you need to change it. If not you still get the package but might be a little delayed.
Just a little history.
Queens is basically split into Flushing and Jamaica, whether rightly or wrongly or through whatever historical artifacts despite the topology of the current specific centric "town" location known as the Flushing and Jamaica propers.

Yes, this often makes an address hard to navigate to but for the most part my rule of thumb is that if I see either of these to give the address a second look because it may not be where I think it is. Seaside Queens is 15 miles from Jamaica Estates and to call both Jamaica except for postal reasons is whack and even for postal reasons is bleck.

Anyway, given these postal definitions where this mythical Flushing is has been blurry for some time, more so than where the mythical Jamaica is. Personally I split Queens into 4 parts using Van Wyck and Grand Central as latitudes and longitude lines to work from and often even that is not sufficient but I still find using the quadrant somewhat mentally useful. Brooklyn is kinda not as bad with this but just as hard to get from place to place can take ages often no matter the means of transportation or route.