Fios Vs. Optimum

Got an email from my apartment complex saying that Verizon FiOS will be available in the future here. They will be installing an adapter in each apartment so if current ( or future) tenants want to switch we have the option. My Q is what does this adapter look like? Any idea where it gets installed? Googled no answer...called office at complex left a VM.

Got an email from my apartment complex saying that Verizon FiOS will be available in the future here. They will be installing an adapter in each apartment so if current ( or future) tenants want to switch we have the option. My Q is what does this adapter look like? Any idea where it gets installed? Googled no answer...called office at complex left a VM.
It's a square box that they run wires to. That along with the router is needed for fios. They usually set it up in the living room against the wall..

Not sure if the roll-out install ends up being much different from a single family residential (I have FiOS internet for over 12 years now)

Technical install hardware:
  1. Verizon Optical Network Terminal (ONT) - this translates the fiber optic signals into electronic signals that go to the Router, and converts back to fiber optic light signals the electronic signals from the Router.
    1. From the Telephone Pole wires to the house is Fiber Optic Wires that connect to the ONT
      1. For a large apartment complex, I would assume that they have switch closet to run individual Cat 5/6 runs to each unit, as most no-commerical/residential routers have 4 wired outputs.
    2. The ONT also has Coaxial and Cat 5/6 connector to connect to your Router/TV "cable" box.
Looking at Verizon's Hardware, it appears the "Adapter" box is for the TV Set, and not for the Cat 5/6 cabling to a router.
https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/

I have some family that lived in Town of Islip, and they allowed Verizon to install in hamlets as free market demand would recoup the cost of deploying. I have friends in Bayport and Sayville that are watching FiOS TV.

I live in Town of Brookhaven - Crookhaven, officials having been bribed for decades by Cablevision family; won't allow Verizon a Municipal TV license to roll-out their TV services unless Verizon will commit to and guarantee 100% roll-out availability to all of Brookhaven's 50 Hamlets, in less then 18 months. Crookhaven's 9 Villages get to determine municipal licenses without Crookhaven's "ok", thusly Village of Lake Grove has it)

In a house I had, it had Verizon. The box was in the garage on outer wall. I didn't go with Verizon and they said leave it there in case I ever decide to switch. Never did and I ripped it out and tossed it. Apartments I would assume it would be on a wall that is an outer wall.

Not sure if the roll-out install ends up being much different from a single family residential (I have FiOS internet for over 12 years now)

Technical install hardware:
  1. Verizon Optical Network Terminal (ONT) - this translates the fiber optic signals into electronic signals that go to the Router, and converts back to fiber optic light signals the electronic signals from the Router.
    1. From the Telephone Pole wires to the house is Fiber Optic Wires that connect to the ONT
      1. For a large apartment complex, I would assume that they have switch closet to run individual Cat 5/6 runs to each unit, as most no-commerical/residential routers have 4 wired outputs.
    2. The ONT also has Coaxial and Cat 5/6 connector to connect to your Router/TV "cable" box.
Looking at Verizon's Hardware, it appears the "Adapter" box is for the TV Set, and not for the Cat 5/6 cabling to a router.
https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/

I have some family that lived in Town of Islip, and they allowed Verizon to install in hamlets as free market demand would recoup the cost of deploying. I have friends in Bayport and Sayville that are watching FiOS TV.

I live in Town of Brookhaven - Crookhaven, officials having been bribed for decades by Cablevision family; won't allow Verizon a Municipal TV license to roll-out their TV services unless Verizon will commit to and guarantee 100% roll-out availability to all of Brookhaven's 50 Hamlets, in less then 18 months. Crookhaven's 9 Villages get to determine municipal licenses without Crookhaven's "ok", thusly Village of Lake Grove has it)
In a house I had, it had Verizon. The box was in the garage on outer wall. I didn't go with Verizon and they said leave it there in case I ever decide to switch. Never did and I ripped it out and tossed it. Apartments I would assume it would be on a wall that is an outer wall.
Don’t ask me how I know. I just know ;). In apartment complexes, Verizon hires a separate company to run a tube that they call “micro duct” to each apartment. Usually in a closet , not really an eye sore since it’s very much out of the way. Then…. When you order Fios , a technician will run a fiber optic fiber through that micro duct into your apartment. It’s a very thin wire that looks like an iPhone charging wire. Then, They install what they call an ONT (optical network terminal). This is where all your services come from. Your typical one family unit Ont holds one data circuit 2 telco lines and can provide for up to 10 tvs. If the apartment is prewired, Verizon will usually run the micro duct to meet with the connections in the apartment for an easy installation.

In older developments, Verizon usually runs the fiber to a central location. Sets up the Ont (which is really small now ) near a main tv. Install the router telco line and main tv in one location. And the next 4 cable boxes can be installed wirelessly.

Years ago, Verizon was negotiating with the town of Brookhaven. Negotiations were going nowhere and then Mayor Bloomberg offered Verizon 6 billion to wire up NYC. So Verizon pretty much gave the town of Brookhaven the middle finger and force transferee their techs to the 5 boroughs. A lot of guys were pissed……

Don’t ask me how I know. I just know ;). In apartment complexes, Verizon hires a separate company to run a tube that they call “micro duct” to each apartment. Usually in a closet , not really an eye sore since it’s very much out of the way. Then…. When you order Fios , a technician will run a fiber optic fiber through that micro duct into your apartment. It’s a very thin wire that looks like an iPhone charging wire. Then, They install what they call an ONT (optical network terminal). This is where all your services come from. Your typical one family unit Ont holds one data circuit 2 telco lines and can provide for up to 10 tvs. If the apartment is prewired, Verizon will usually run the micro duct to meet with the connections in the apartment for an easy installation.

In older developments, Verizon usually runs the fiber to a central location. Sets up the Ont (which is really small now ) near a main tv. Install the router telco line and main tv in one location. And the next 4 cable boxes can be installed wirelessly.

Years ago, Verizon was negotiating with the town of Brookhaven. Negotiations were going nowhere and then Mayor Bloomberg offered Verizon 6 billion to wire up NYC. So Verizon pretty much gave the town of Brookhaven the middle finger and force transferee their techs to the 5 boroughs. A lot of guys were pissed……
That is what they did! Came today,they ran the duct type thing in my bedroom closet (which has a small attic that they went into also).The guy told me in like a month or 2 go in the website ,put in zip code to see if it's "ready".

I am in CT so no FIOS. Cablevision sucks, shitty services/no fiber/expensive. Frontier ran fiber on the street so gave them a try, nothing to lose. Doing 1 Gb both ways for $50/month for the next 3 years. Just stream everything else I want. Switched the home phone to Omma for $5/month (wife wants it), alarm system uses the internet. Went from paying $300/month to Cablevision to $120/month now. Took a while to teach the wife home to find what she wants to watch using the apps but it is working.

Cablevision even with their fiber offering is only doing 1 GB down, 30 Mb up. Shitty when moving stuff into the cloud.

I am in CT so no FIOS. Cablevision sucks, shitty services/no fiber/expensive. Frontier ran fiber on the street so gave them a try, nothing to lose. Doing 1 Gb both ways for $50/month for the next 3 years. Just stream everything else I want. Switched the home phone to Omma for $5/month (wife wants it), alarm system uses the internet. Went from paying $300/month to Cablevision to $120/month now. Took a while to teach the wife home to find what she wants to watch using the apps but it is working.

Cablevision even with their fiber offering is only doing 1 GB down, 30 Mb up. Shitty when moving stuff into the cloud.
Verizon owns just under half of the stock in Frontier (I believe it’s 45%). Frontier is Verizon (but for Union purposes under a different name). Same equipment, just with a different logo.

You may not realize it, but you will probably no longer have copper-paired POTS service, you'll now be ONT POTS service. FYI, on a technical note, the copper carries power and the ONT needs a power source to work (plug-in and/or BBU), so during power outages you are further impacted - many of the older units when on Battery Back-up will disable the VOIP services to conserve power or ensure that the it connects to a UPS under your control.

Verizon isn't spending any money it doesn't have to maintain the copper-paired phone service. When they came to install the ONT/FiOS service at my house and business back in 2010, they cut all copper pair wires back to the pole. As more people converted over the years I live on a short street (17 houses) with the last house went over to FiOS/Cablevision, they reclaimed all the copper paired wiring on the poles, so you can't even get POTS anymore even if you wanted to from Verizon at least.

Depending what you are using for Internet/TV right now it might be worth switching.

I have the FiOS "Gigabit" connection plan (up to 940/880) worth every penny and run 3 HD Streaming TVs, 5 laptops (that all 5 of us can be on zoom/webex/teams video calls for work/school), 3 ring devices, CC streaming security camera set-up (12 cameras), numerous family devices such as kindles/cell/printer/ipads that connect when we are at home and no issues with latency or dropped connections issues.

You may not realize it, but you will probably no longer have copper-paired POTS service,
... POTS , believe it or not, refers to Plain Old Telephone Service, where there is actually a copper wire connection (via switches) between you and the person you are calling.

Unless you are in some rural place in Podunck it doesn't exist anymore in the US.

I don't care about all the technical stuff...just want a cheaper bill.
Cheaper bill, tell Verizon you'll switch (they are cheaper then Altice/Cablevision for faster speeds), but the switch from Copper POTS to FiOS/ONT POTS has an impact especially in areas prone to blackouts, you definitely need a separate UPS or a generator backup.

You can also push back on Verizon to provide a landline for $5/month
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123483395304696039