Favorite Pho

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
It is the broth that makes the pho. If a place gets the other stuff right, but the broth isn't good, it doesn't rate high in my estimation.

My favorite pho place in New York City is Pho Bang on Kissena Blvd in downtown Flushing. The broth is rich with beef and spices. Every bowl I order is so rich, that I cannot finish it, unless I am unusually hungry. If you speak Vietnamese, you can probably order specific combinations of meat accoutrements that are not listed on the menu. The combos listed aren't bad either, but not as complete as I've seen elsewhere. Meat portions are generous. They aren't always careful to cook the noodles right. Sometimes I get a wad of noodles stuck together. There are always more noodles in the bowl than I want to eat. I'd prefer they cook them more carefully and give me less. As good as the broth is, they could stand to serve it a bit hotter.

I decided to try the place immediately next door, Pho Hoang, to compare. On the plus side, the rice noodles were properly cooked, and the broth was really hot. I like a hot broth, because when I throw in the cold bean sprouts and basil leaves, it stays hot. I will not return to Pho Hoang because the pho broth was as bland as I've ever had. Really thin and boring. The meat portions were stingy too, even for little ol' me. Hell, I finished the whole bowl without any trouble, which I almost never do at a pho joint. To boot, the bathroom was so disgusting, I walked back out without even using it. Pho Bang is sparkling by comparison, and that's not saying much.

My overall favorite pho place is still Pho Hoa. It's an international chain, but no New York locations. They do have one in Philadelphia. I've only eaten at the one on Rainier Ave South in Columbia City, Seattle. If the others aren't so good, well I'm really not that sorry, because pho is dirt cheap. Pho Hoa's broth is richly flavored, and served really hot, the way I like it. They have a large variety of beef accoutrements for your pho, and you can either order prearranged combinations, or combos of your own preference. As I said, you could probably do that at Pho Bang, but without a command of Vietnamese, and without an easy menu guide with numbers, you might confuse the waiter and the kitchen staff. Plus, Pho Hoa offers more stuff, like fatty flank, crunchy flank, and meat balls. If you were thinking of ordering something besides pho, don't bother. Pho is what they do. Everything else sucks.

There's one on Baxter in Manhattan's Chinatown, I think. And there's definitely one on Allen Street near East Broadway. And I know I've seen another in that area, but I can't remember exactly where. But, I'm not sure they're truly affiliated, or if it's just a popular name for this type of restaurant.

Pho is great. It's pretty much the only thing I order at Vietnamese restaurants. The one on Baxter that has decent pho is Thai Son, the one with the green awning. They're most likely affiliated with Nam Son on Grand. Both restaurants have the same quality of pho, not much of a surprise there. The one on Allen near East Broadway sounds like the Pho Bang that used to be the one on Pike. I've eaten there for many years and it has always been a good place for pho. I always thought the best pho in Chinatown was served there. Too bad it's gone now. There's a Vietnamese restaurant nearby that one on East Broadway. I believe it's called 86 and has a purple awning. I went there sometime ago shortly after they first opened. Pho is usually made quickly but it took a long time for the pho to come out and on top of that, it was just average to mediocre.

Pho in Chinatown has been declining for many years now. Nowadays, it seems like whenever I order pho, the quality and consistently is lacking. There used to be a bunch of Pho Bangs in Chinatown. Now there's only one left; the one on Mott, north of Grand. The quality of the broth has an immediate impact on its overall taste. The only restaurant on Baxter I would recommend for pho is Thai Son. I've tried the pho at New Pasteur and Nha Trang and while it's decent, the portions are much smaller, which is not saying much nowadays because they used to serve pho in much larger bowls with greater portions back in the day. The other non-pho Vietnamese dishes at those two places aren't too shabby though.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Pho is actually something that Mom or Grandma does not usually make. It's a huge pain in the ass to cook up some pho for a relatively small number of people, so it's normally a restaurant dish. A restaurant can more easily make large quantities to sell to dozens, if not hundreds, of people each day. That also makes it more likely that they'll fuck up something or other, but you still won't get it from Mom--unless Mom is really, REALLY dedicated to making good pho, in which case, she should probably open a pho restaurant of her own.

In college, we used to do Pho party. It wasn't difficult at all, the soup base can be made from soup cube readily available in most chinese grogery store and the rest was relatively easy. For beef we used medium cooked pot roast and ask a Deli guy to slide it for us.