Favorite Deli Sandwich

pswope

One out of three
Mangaros (the deli;not hero boy) on 9th Ave in high 30"s makes some of the greatest heros in NY. My fave is the Buffalo Mozzarella,with tomato,basil,and olive oil. Everything,including the semolina sub is home made(the tomatoes actually have taste).
Back in the days when Corp Affairs was popularly priced(note Ms M) and staffed by out of town hotties, I'd grab a quality orgasm and then the buff mozzerella sub. That was great indulgence.

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Originally posted by pswope
Mangaros (the deli;not hero boy) on 9th Ave in high 30"s makes some of the greatest heros in NY.
Yes, I heartily concur on this one

MW, I had an MOT shop teacher when I was in junior high that would eat pastrami on white with mayo! Go figure.

Take care HP

Glad we've gotten back to this subject, and away from all those literary blovations. Given the nature of the forum that brings us all here today, I wonder why no one has chosen tongue.
By the way, has anyone noticed that one of this forum's favorite establishments is now located in the same neighborhood as one of NY's best hotdog stands?

justme

homo economicus
Boy, it really depends on my mood...

There's roast beef with aged sharp chedder and horseradish served on a mini baguette. Then there's the properly spiced crawfish poorboy. And of course fajita tortas served with grated queso Chihuahua on fresh pan Fransisco. Hmm, and now that I think about it, there's my probable lunch to day: chruasco grilled beef tips served on a french role with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and that really good (and I'm sure massively unhealthy) tangy white sauce to laddle on.

It's obvious to me that if I only had to eat 'sandwiches' or things that resemble them for the rest of my life, I'd probably still be OK.

I'm hungry.

Not a deli sandwich but....

I'm driving in south France with my girlfriend. We stop in one town that has a boulangerie and get bread. About 10 minutes outside of town there is a farm on the side of the road complete with "chien menchant" sign. The ancient french woman who lives there sells goat cheese; we purchase some. A few miles further, we get a fresh tomato from another roadside farm. Last, we drive into a small town and purchase a bottle of vinager and a bottle of flavored oil. We borrow a knife, cut up the tomato while the store attendant watches, and then make sandwiches and drink white wine from the bottle all the way to Sarlat. That is the best sandwich I've had.

For deli sandwiches, I hafta say Carnegie with their 20$ foot high pastrami.

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
I need to come out of the shadows for this...

"...I had an MOT shop teacher when I was in junior high that would eat pastrami on white with mayo! Go figure..."

what part exactly did you have a problem with - that he was a "MOT shop teacher" or he "would eat pastrami on white with mayo..." ???

frankly, both scare me......

however, one might explain the other.....

My Fav

NewsStand Deli in Melville make s a dynamite hero called "The Sports Illustrated"

Chicken breat, fresh mozzarella, Roasted peppers, Onions all toasted and put on a hero with a Pesto/Mayo sauce.

MMMMMMMMMM

But I laso love to go plain and have roast beef and provalone with lettuce, tomato and italian dressing.

MJC
Eager to try the Sandwich Nazi in SoHo

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Mr NY,
First of all, did the tone of my post give you the impression that I had any kind of a problem? If so then I suppose that I need to communicate more clearly.
Secondly, I was responding to Mr. Wonderful's not quite accurate response to Bill F about a "meatball on white" and how that would eliminate the possibility of him being in the "tribe". Bill actually clarified this for MW.
Now, I was simply reflecting on a memory of a shop teacher( beloved BTW) who happened to be Jewish and happened to like his pastrami on white with mayonnaise, what's to be scared of?

Best word usage on this thread: "blovations" by nypete/ Pete where is the hot dog stand?

take care HP

MrNY

Subject to blackouts
oiy...... i'm going back into the shadows.....

hp - let's relax....... i may have chosen the wrong words, i apologize.....

mjc - the newstand deli is GREAT ! p.s. did you check out the new latino gal that htey hired at there other place on pinelwan and walt whitman road? she is SO hot, especially in the little hot outfits she (pracically doesn't) wear - oh my.......

Re: oiy...... i'm going back into the shadows.....

Originally posted by MrNY
hp - let's relax....... i may have chosen the wrong words, i apologize.....

mjc - the newstand deli is GREAT ! p.s. did you check out the new latino gal that htey hired at there other place on pinelwan and walt whitman road? she is SO hot, especially in the little hot outfits she (pracically doesn't) wear - oh my.......
MrNY...I am all over that tomorrow for lunch!!! Will let you know.

LOL, I'm talking like you recommended a provider!!!

MJC

Getting Proustian here

In the time of my youth, a local deli by the name of Herb's in San Francisco made a masterpiece with the name of "The Herbie Burpie." In is classic, pure form, they would start with an entire loaf of San Francisco sourdough, oil and vinegar, Gallo salami and pepperoni, smoked mozzarella (fresh mozz being somewhat in eclipse during that time, even in the town that gave us the DiMaggios), provolone, peppers, onions, and more. Available cold, but delectable toasted. Ahhh, the Burpie.

The Mini-Burpie was served on a sourdough sandwich roll.

The bread made the sandwich.

Nowadays, finding such perfection unattainable, the Bufalo Mozz, Tomato and Basil combo sometimes known as the Caprese does it for me.

Nice idea for a thread.

Hard to believe noone has yet mentioned Katz's deli on the Lower East Side. While it suffers today and desperately tries to stay open by serving drunks stumbling out of bars at all hours of the evening, I remember it in its heydey.

My father used to own a store on Orchard Street back when they would turn it into a pedestrian mall on Sunday. You would see people from all walks of life bargain hunting.

I used to help out at the store on weekends and summers and would have salami and eggs for breakfast, lunch was pastrami on rye or club followed by a crunchy hotdog.

Although there were signs that said "No tipping" all over the place, we knew all the guys behind the counter and they would pile extra lean pastrami on extra high and while they made the sandwiches they would give tasting plates. We never, ever had waitress service - that was for the tourists.

It was the early 80's, the sandwiches were delicious, life was simple and easy, and I thought my father was the King of Orchard Street.

Ever realize how sometimes memories make the food taste that much better in retrospect?

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Re: oiy...... i'm going back into the shadows.....

Originally posted by MrNY
hp - let's relax....... i may have chosen the wrong words, i apologize....
Mr NY, nothing to apologize for , I took no offense- just striving for clarity is all!
take care HP

prosciuto diparma (prosciugata), hot cappy and mozzarella di bufala...throw on some rosted peppers, whole garlic cloves, olive oil on semolina hero.

if no "mozzarella di bufala" than use arecchio provolone.

and no f*cking mayo.

so i'm half a ginzo

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Prosciutto...

....another reason to be missing my home town- would somebody go down to the nearest Pork and Lattacini store and mail me a care package?
take care HP

102st & 101st ave in queens (across the street from gotti's old club house)...

Furcci's Lattacini! the absolute best there is. stuffed cherry peppers and not stuffed with that bottled mush crap either.

MrNY

Subject to blackouts

hp - we still love each other......

mij317 - GREAT post......

ozzy - i think your last post got me aroused... :)

anyone know this? Leggio's - the dirtiest, most disgusting place - but, ohhhhhhhhhhh the best heros......