Originally posted by nycstripclubs
SUNDAY ONLY

VIP Power - Hitter Special

UNLIMITED trips to the VIP Room
for a $30 flat fee.

CYA there.

The Champagne of Private Parties
“If it's better than this...you must be dreaming."
Will Cassidy (cute, short, lite-skinned PR with curly hair and glasses) be working there on sun. or wed.?? I know she worked for the old ass-con back in march. When i was last there in may i didn't see her. I would make a special trip now just for her.

Originally posted by nuthin
And surely you don't think it coulda been started by the other guy & was a response in kind, do you?
It's still ad hominem, whether the other guy started it or not. Shame on you. :)

As for the other issue:

I think you assume you know exactly what I was referring to in regard to "style and manner." You are wrong in that regard.

I gave you an example (Al Sharpton) and you still don't seem to understand this kind of affect on discussion. That's OK. I'm willing to elaborate (in a later post) so you can understand.

You unleashed a string of strongly worded statements, saying I was being "bizarre in the extreme... totally irrelevant & useless in the extreme" which I find quite unnecessary.

Of course, if I respond to you in the same manner (saying that your posts are "bizarre in the extreme... totally irrelevant & useless in the extreme") then that would be responding in kind as well.

But will that help us understand each other?

Originally posted by danger-us
You unleashed a string of strongly worded statements, saying I was being "bizarre in the extreme... totally irrelevant & useless in the extreme" which I find quite unnecessary.
I would consider this hyperbole, which is acceptable, isn't it?

Part 1

It's still ad hominem, whether the other guy started it or not. Shame on you. :)

Hey, I never said I was against flame wars, for chrissake! I engage in more than my share & consider them one of the few valid reasons for living. I like to think I usually engage in them in response to attacks, rather than pre-emptively, but I'm sure my (almost always) vanquished opponents (see "VV" above for a recent typical case) prefer to view things otherwise.

What I said--or certainly what I at least intended to say--was that responding to an argument with an ad hominem attack was pointless & useless in advancing the discussion or your own assertions. It also tends to be counterproductive, cause I think most people tend to view such responses as revealing an insecurity with one's own position & an inability to explain & defend it.

For example, I coulda responded to jl's assertions in this thread by calling him a malodorous discontent, an illiterate ignoramus, an insufferable whiner, a transparent pretender, or a despicable lowlife of the rankest variety. This is not to deny that he is all those things & more (or should I say "less"?), but taking that tack would hardly have made my own point of view any more credible, imo.

As for the other issue:

I think you assume you know exactly what I was referring to in regard to "style and manner." You are wrong in that regard.

Well, this is what you said:

Thorn,

Actually, I think the moment you decide to re-think they WAY you write things (I find them pompous, rude and self-absorbed), people will "get" your posts with greater frequency. I feel that some of your posts in this thread and the WAY you've written them are more part of the PROBLEM than they are the solution.

I'm sorry to be so harsh. Just want you to know how you come across through my filters.
It's hard to know exactly how I "misinterpreted" that, but I'm sure you'll be glad to explain.

Aside from that, if Thorn had accepted your "analysis" as correct, it's hard to figure out exactly what the hell he was supposed to do to remedy this "shortcoming".

Was he supposed to submit drafts of his proposed posts to you first for vetting prior to putting them up here?

Was he supposed to write on the blackboard a hundred times "I shall not be rude, pompous & self-absorbed?" & hope that would somehow reveal to him how he was exhibiting this rudeness, pomposity & self-absorption so that he could self-evaluate & hopefully correct his instincts in time to prevent this tragic display of himself?

Or perhaps you've prepared a short pamphlet that rude, pompous, self-absorbed folks like him & Al Sharpton & no doubt even worse such "hypocrites" like myself could obtain from you for a modest charge with a SASE?

I gave you an example (Al Sharpton) and you still don't seem to understand this kind of affect on discussion. That's OK. I'm willing to elaborate (in a later post) so you can understand.

If you think the folks who object to what Al Sharpton says do so simply because of his style & not the substance of his remarks, I would humbly suggest that you still don't have the slightest clue what that particular discussion's all about.

Perhaps when you elaborate later, you can specifically name some of those folks out there who hold Sharpton's positions & are fully accepted by his critics because their "style" is kinder & gentler. Off-hand, I can't think of any.

You unleashed a string of strongly worded statements,

Hey, I never objected to strong words! In fact, any word that can bench press 150 pounds is okay in my book!

Last edited:
Part 2

saying I was being "bizarre in the extreme... totally irrelevant & useless in the extreme" which I find quite unnecessary.

To paraphrase or mimic a line from "North by Northwest", I think you're seeing a "Sharpton" here where there ain't no Sharpton. What I in fact said was:

Not sure what you mean by his "attitude", but to say that his "writing style" is somehow detrimental to furthering the concept of racial equality strikes me as bizarre in the extreme.
&

As I understood it, your objection was to what you felt was Thorn being "pompous" or "self absorbed" or something of that nature in his "writing style". I think my point is that even if that were true, what the hell does saying that have to do with furthering the discussion of the issue here? All saying that does, IMO, is reduce the discussion to an ad hominem back & forth. Which IMO is totally irrelevant & useless in the extreme.

So, I was (I think pretty clearly) saying I considered your ASSERTIONS to be "bizarre in the extreme" & that the act of making those assertions didn't further the discussion of the issue in any way & was "totally irrelevant & useless in the extreme" in that regard.

If you look at those statements carefully, I think you'll find NO words of any strength describing YOU as bizarre, pointless or irrelevant to any extent.

Of course, if I respond to you in the same manner (saying that your posts are "bizarre in the extreme... totally irrelevant & useless in the extreme") then that would be responding in kind as well.

Please feel free to. Who asked you not to?

Not me, certainly. Why should you be any different from the overwhelming majority of the resta the literate, civilized world which, to the infinitesmal degree it's even aware of my existence, considers both me & my posts to be bizarre, irrelevant, pointless & useless in the extreme--not to mention excessively long, pedantic, tiring, boring & over-the-top obsessed with stylistic flourishes like itals & caps. Mosta them also have a few choice words about my appearance, facial features, hygiene & lineage.

The point is, I have no objection in a discussion of issues to satirizing or ridiculing your [/i]conclusions[/i] & having you do the same with mine. Shit, that's part of the fun of these debates & I think it serves a useful purpose as long as it's accompanied by an explanation of why said opinions are ridiculous. And I certainly don't see the point of pretending an opinion has more validity than you perceive it to have.

But for me--or you or anybody--only to assert a position is bizarre or pointless or stupid or whatever & simply leave it at that doesn't seem to me to serve any purpose in terms of discussing or clarifying the underlying issue.

OTOH, rank personal back & forth shit is entirely appropriate to a flame war--in fact, that's the very essence of a flame war, tho I happen to think most flame wars are crude affairs that totally lack any elan or joie de vivre & I try hard to inject such elements into my own contributions. Of course, most folks see me engaging only in mental masturbation, but what they fail to realize is that it's accompanied by a substantial amount of physical masturbation as I sit here both typing & stroking at such an astounding & furious rate that by tomorrow I'll probably have as little dick left as I have mind today.

But will that help us understand each other?

I don't see why we should have any trouble understanding each other. It's that Sharpton guy who seems so inscrutably indecipherable & seems to be causing all the confusion!

Finally, to be perfectly clear (& what historical figure used to say that[/] all the time & what did he know & when did he know it?) what I said at the conclusion of that "strongly worded" post was this:

If you're saying you'll filter out (i.e., won't consider) the views of those whose personality you find somehwat offputting--well, that's up to you, of course. But frankly, I think you'll miss out on a lot, cause a great deal of the real IMPORTANT achievements in art, science, culture & philosophy thru the ages & continuing into the present day have come from folks whose personalities & characters left a lot to be desired.

Nuff said.

That still comes across to me at least as a completely straightforward, non-inflammatory & above all clear expression of what I was saying. If there's a clearer way of saying it, I don't know what it is. Maybe to find it, I'll just have to get over myself. Shouldn't be too hard--everybody else in the world got over me long ago.

But don't worry. That's OK. We've all been hypocrites at one time or another on this board! (Me included) :)

Somebody who disagrees with you is automatically a "hypocrite"? If you'll notice in even my bizarre, pointless, irrelevant & totally useless (not to mention overly long, incoherent & unbelievably boring) 2-part strongly worded response above, I didn't call you a hypocrite nor an idiot nor anything else (of either a positive or negative nature). I simply responded to your points as best I was able.

Do you think you're still perhaps engaging in some of that behavior you find so objectionable about Thorn, Al Sharpton & now clearly me as well?

Just something for you to consider--clearly & objectively, of course.

I'm sorry to even respond again, but you're just too funny.

Doesn't take much to get rid of you, does it?

Then again, not much there to get rid of, was there?
If you only had a clue....

Hey, I never said I was against flame wars, for chrissake! I engage in more than my share & consider them one of the few valid reasons for living. I like to think I usually engage in them in response to attacks, rather than pre-emptively, but I'm sure my (almost always) vanquished opponents (see "VV" above for a recent typical case) prefer to view things otherwise.

First, you couldn't vanquish me on your best and my worst. It's just that after reading one or two posts it's obvious to everyone (even me), that you're someone who can't be reasoned with.... So why bother?

And if you knew half of what was going on here (which you don't), or who I was (which I'm sure MOST here do).... Then you would know… 1) What a fool you sound like. 2) That I never ran from a fight on this board EVER!. 3) When it comes to flame wars on this board I wrote the book.

Have fun...

PEAAAASSSE:)

Last edited:
Re: I'm sorry to even respond again, but you're just too funny.

Originally posted by VV
3) When it comes to flame wars on this board I wrote the book.
Oh YEAH!!! I did have nothing to do this weekend... but NOW I will quit my job, leave my family, and pay for a LIFETIME subscription to both the DSL company AND Utopiaguide, since we are now in for such a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-)

Originally posted by VV
You too have no clue.
In case you think I was attempting to "join the battle" here, I'd like to try to point out exactly what I meant by that comment.

Seriously, I wasn't being sarcastic in an attempt to belittle your ability to carry out a flame war. Seriously. What I meant was that if you are correct, this is about to become a battle of epic proportions.....

Just don't leave! That's all I ask!

My apologies then.

But there will be no epic battles fought on this battle field (by me anyway).

And not for nothing but, "Nuthin" is no epic battle.

Re: I'm sorry to even respond again, but you're just too funny.

Originally posted by VV
I'm sorry to even respond again, but you're just too funny.

Something, you'll never have to worry about being accused of, obviously.

If you only had a clue....

OK, I fully admit it I had no clue as to how little it took to get rid of you & how little there was to get rid of. I had no idea there were fractions that close to zero.

Now that you've enlightened me, I'll get out the electron microscope to better survey the landscape.

First, you couldn't vanquish me on your best and my worst.

You mean that wasn't your worst?

You mean there's less??????????

My God, that is impressive!

It's just that after reading one or two posts it's obvious to everyone (even me),

EVEN you?

My God, it MUST be obvious!!!!!!!!!!!

that you're someone who can't be reasoned with.... So why bother?

No reason to bother--especially since reasoning ain't what a flame war's about, you nincompoop!

It's about FLAMING, you idiot!

It's about getting as insulting & offensive as possible thru the use of consummate parody, wit & irony--or, in your case, childish schoolyard-like retorts. But it AIN'T about "reasoning".

Then again, of course, neither are you.

And if you knew half of what was going on here (which you don't),

Don't worry, once I get the requisite lobotomy I'm sure I'll understand completely whatever the hell it is you're trying to say.

or who I was (which I'm sure MOST here do)....

Is that you, Mr. Secretary General?

Are those the oohs & aahs of the assembled UG multitudes I hear in the background, or a yawn the size of Alaska?

Who gives a flying fuck who you are? If you are what you say, you're gibberish. If you are what you do, you're squat. And if you are what you eat--well, so far, you're shit.

Take some incredibly helpful advice & stop worrying about how many here know who you are & try finding somebody who cares! If necessary, I'll agree to a 6 month continuance to allow you to conduct a search.

Then you would know… 1) What a fool you sound like.

Somebody has to know who you are to know what a fool they sound like? Then I take it your knowledge of your foolishness must be complete!

2) That I never ran from a fight on this board EVER!.

Right, before you were really advancing in the opposite direction!

Probably the crafty old "Einstein attack": You know, in a curved universe, if you could see forever, you'd see the back of your own head. I guess you figured if you ran away hard & fast enuf, in about 14 billion years you'd sneak up behind me & take me by surprise!

And that yellow streak I could see receding as you sped off into the distance--that was really your badge of honor!

Right...

3) When it comes to flame wars on this board I wrote the book.

A match book, I take it.

Have fun...

I'm trying to. But this is just way too easy to really enjoy.

PEAAAASSSE:)

Is that the full text of your book?

Re: Re: I'm sorry to even respond again, but you're just too funny.

Originally posted by Justin Thyme
Oh YEAH!!! I did have nothing to do this weekend... but NOW I will quit my job, leave my family, and pay for a LIFETIME subscription to both the DSL company AND Utopiaguide, since we are now in for such a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-)

Didn't I already tell you on another board about being a sadist who tries to rile up everybody else & start wars? Are you the guy who fanned the flames between Bush & Hussein?

BTW, pass the popcorn...

Originally posted by VV
You too have no clue.

That's the whole book right there, Justin. Just shake, stir & repeat ad nauseam.

Now you too can fight a flame war!

Available on steet corners everywhere from junkies trying to score some spare change.

Seriously, I wasn't being sarcastic in an attempt to belittle your ability to carry out a flame war.

If you ever studied physics, you'd know it's impossible to belittle VV's "ability" to do anything, since according to quantum theory there's a limit to the smallness of things & VV's "ability" is already about as small as it gets.

Seriously. What I meant was that if you are correct, this is about to become a battle of epic proportions.....

That's like saying if Hussein was correct, we'd all be speaking Iraqi by now (or whatever the hell they speak over there).

This "epic" was over before it started. Hard to wage a "battle" with somebody who ain't there.

Just don't leave! That's all I ask!

It's falling on deaf ears, Justin, he's running away too fast. Unless he can hear at the speed of light.

Originally posted by VV
My apologies then.

No need to apologize. You were willing to play the total fool for a moment or two anyway. Who could reasonably ask for more?

But there will be no epic battles fought on this battle field (by me anyway).

Yes, the consummate example of how you never run away from a flame war on this board. After all, you're too busy waving the white flag of "victory"!

And not for nothing but, "Nuthin" is no epic battle.

Not without an epic opponent, certainly.

Or at least an opponent of some kind!

But that's okay, you need the time to go back & work on your book anyway. What's Chapter 2--"Winning Thru Losing"?

Don't let the browser hit you in the ass on the way out, now!

Re: Re: Re: I'm sorry to even respond again, but you're just too funny.

Didn't I already tell you on another board about being a sadist who tries to rile up everybody else & start wars
If I didn't already know you so well, I'd warn you to be careful that you don't "spread your troops thin" as some say could happen with Iraq, Liberia and North Korea.

By my count, there are three things "in play" right now.

Just don't let me get in the way!!!!!

Dollars to dounuts I'll be here long after you're gone.

And knowing the APM the way I do... and how he won't let stupidity get too out of hand on his board for too long.... I'd set the over/under on you at about a month.

Personally, I'll take the under.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm sorry to even respond again, but you're just too funny.

If I didn't already know you so well, I'd warn you to be careful that you don't "spread your troops thin" as some say could happen with Iraq, Liberia and North Korea.

By my count, there are three things "in play" right now.

Just don't let me get in the way!!!!!

Don't worry, I'm asking Congress for supplemental funding.

But I'm not sure there's anything left in play at this point.