DWI laws and discussions

File under stupid is as stupid does :The Carousel Night Club was issued two ABC law violations for disorderly premises and no employee handwashing signs in the bathrooms, police said. Vincent Zaccaria, 23, of West Islip, was arrested while driving in the parking lot and charged with driving while intoxicated, third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, fourth-degree criminal possession of marijuana and resisting arrest.

One of the vets here had a great rule - only break one law at a time. I have visited this place often but never leave in a state of DWI and I don't do drugs anyway. I wonder what happened with this guy. DWI while in the parking lot? Sounds brazen to be scouting the place looking to bag poor bastards.

When I worked her a few years back there was an older gentleman in there one evening. He refused to pay the fee for the atm inside the club. He left to go to a bank and get some cash from an atm. When he pulled back into the parking lot after visiting the bank he got nailed by a cop for a dwi. He resisted arrest as well. Was comical when a female officer got him with a taser, while two other cops held him down. All three got a taste of the taser LOL.

One of the vets here had a great rule - only break one law at a time. I have visited this place often but never leave in a state of DWI and I don't do drugs anyway. I wonder what happened with this guy. DWI while in the parking lot? Sounds brazen to be scouting the place looking to bag poor bastards.
You can be charged with DWI if you're sitting in the front seat of your car, engine off, and your over the limit (key's in your pocket or in console). If you're sleeping it off in the back seat and are over the limit, your going to the pokey. Old days of letting anyone off are long gone. Limits are getting lower and lower, grab an UBER if you think you're even close. All those commercials on TV now saying "Buzzed" driving is drunk driving. Strictly a 2 drink limit for me anywhere I go, its not worth the headache and getting caught up in the system.

...... DWI while in the parking lot? Sounds brazen to be scouting the place looking to bag poor bastards.
Actually, sounds like LE just wants to get the drunks before they get on the highway at high speeds and before the drunk kills himself or worse someone else just driving home from work after finishing the late shift. Just sayin.

You can be charged with DWI if you're sitting in the front seat of your car, engine off, and your over the limit (key's in your pocket or in console). If you're sleeping it off in the back seat and are over the limit, your going to the pokey. Old days of letting anyone off are long gone. Limits are getting lower and lower, grab an UBER if you think you're even close. All those commercials on TV now saying "Buzzed" driving is drunk driving. Strictly a 2 drink limit for me anywhere I go, its not worth the headache and getting caught up in the system.
I guess they changed the part about keys.I though as long as the keys were not in the ignition you were ok.

SUPAMAN

Not here for the bear hunting
I can't stress this anymore, anytime you're tipsy and not driving but using your car to sleep in or as shelter, always hide the keys where cops can't find them. I heard many horror stories of drunks sleeping it off in their cars being jostled and harassed by cops who find the keys on the drunks' person and put them in the ignition to get the dwi bust. Hide the keys good and no matter what the police say you must at all costs refuse to admit they are in your possession. They can't get a conviction without the ignition key!

SUPAMAN

Not here for the bear hunting
They changed it right around the time all the cars started going keyless.
Sounds tenuous to me that they can arrest you for dwi just for being outside of a legally parked car while inebriated. In that scenario your can could be parked in front of your home legal!y, you are in your yard enjoying cocktails and be arrested for driving under influence.

I usually drink only one or maybe 2 at most beers when I go here ... at 250 lbs ... I am not at the limit. I will remember this story as I certainly don't need a DWI. I had one approx 30 years ago. That is an event I prefer to not happen again.

I stay in my area only , less than a mile from home.Take the warden out for a few,head home
From your post starting this thread "Vincent Zaccaria, 23, of West Islip, was arrested while driving in the parking lot and charged with driving while intoxicated....", do you walk the "less than a mile" to wherever you go "out for a few" or do you take your vehicle?

Just curious.

Ps @NINE-LIVES post #4 was an eye opener — thanks

The engine has to be running to be operating the vehicle. The cop can always lie and say that it was running but the legal definition of operating the vehicle requires a running engine. Of course if you are the only person in a car sleeping on the shoulder of the road. there is circumstantial evidence that you operated the vehicle.

I would not recommend this at all, in the midst of dealing with one now, just moving from Queens quickly released that there was no way I could have more than 2 at any event since I would have to drive back home, the island is huge. Made the mistake of thinking i was fine after sleeping it off and eating, blew a .09 and now have to deal with the consequences, not to mention Nassau county harsh DWI laws it’s going to be a long road ahead, would not recommend!