Don't Let This Happen To You!

For those who haven't read the linked text, the "bug" it talks about is this:

When using Firefox, whenever a site promps you to enter a user name and password, Firefox automatically asks you whether you'd like to save the log in info: now, not now or never. If you choose to save it, you can view a list of the saved sites in preferences. If you choose "never," however, you can also see the list of these sites in preferences.

So, for example, if you go on UG, log in and choose the "never" option, thinking you're protecting your privacy, in fact, the computer has a very obvious record of you having used the site. If you choose "not now," however, you can avoid this altogether. Which is what I do with all hobbying sites. It means I have to keep track of my passwords and such, but I'd rather cover my ass.

(I know, I know -- there's a record of cookies, etc., etc., too.)

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Set your Firefox preferences to not ask to save it in the first place, then there will be no record the site. Also, set your preferences to clear everything when you quite Firefox.

Set your Firefox preferences to not ask to save it in the first place, then there will be no record the site. Also, set your preferences to clear everything when you quite Firefox.
An empty Firefox history is actually pretty suspicious. If I saw that my SO had her browser set that way I would wonder why. Better to have a completely separate browser secured behind some unbreakable encryption!

-nycoder

An empty Firefox history is actually pretty suspicious. If I saw that my SO had her browser set that way I would wonder why. Better to have a completely separate browser secured behind some unbreakable encryption!

-nycoder
I agree about an empty history being suspicious.

I use a version of Netscape that requires a password. I do not have an ICON for the it on the desktop which means I have use my WINDOWS Explorer to go PROGRAM FILES then NETSCAPE BROWSER then I click on the NETSCAPE executable. I could further bury it if I had the Browser's folder named to something innocuous.

Version 8.1.3

Last edited:
If you choose "never," however, you can also see the list of these sites in preferences.
I just discovered a similar situation with pop-up blocking in Firefox. When you click on "allow pop-ups from this site" that URL is automatically added to a list of exceptions visible within the "options" menu. So if you allow pop-ups because you're just dying to see those pics make sure you clear the list of exceptions when you're done.

This issue appears to have been resolved very recently.

on a wholey completely undrelated topic. Its a good idea not to use your handle here on U.G. anywhere else on the net or as the prefix to a non-monger e*mail address.

I agree about an empty history being suspicious.

I use a version of Netscape that requires a password. I do not have an ICON for the it on the desktop which means I have use my WINDOWS Explorer to go PROGRAM FILES then NETSCAPE BROWSER then I click on the NETSCAPE executable. I could further bury it if I had the Browser's folder named to something innocuous.

Version 8.1.3
..but then nycoder's recommendation of running Portable Firefox on a USB key with encryption is a lot more convenient than your system. USB keys are dirt cheap and portable Firefox is free. Don't know what TrueCrypt costs, but often USB keys come with encryption on them.

There's also an add-on for Firefox called Distrust that suspends tracking during a session.

Most guys get away with no security because they don't have to worry about sophisticated snooping from their SOs, but good habits never hurt anybody.