Don't be stupid...

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Note to self...

Never, EVER, sit down at NL table where there are people with more than 20x your stack there.

Sorry. Had a stupid experience tonight. Knew I was going in over my head, and didn't listen to the little voice in my head.

Fortunatly, I sat at the table with winnings from earlier on, so I walked out of the club pretty much even. But still stupid.

Dondee

Herbie, DDS
Waterclone said:
...... Knew I was going in over my head, and didn't listen to the little voice in my head......
You should have listened to the little head instead.

Last edited:
Against good players, it's usually wise to buy-in for the max, or at least a sizable stack to prevent yourself from getting bullied around...

HOWEVER, having a short stack at a NL cash game CAN be advantageous, in a couple of ways...

--> You are not going to be given as much respect with a short stack, so you are more likely to get calls from weaker hands than would be the case if you had a large stack -- prime situation to trap people.

--> If you have a hand and your opponent is on a draw, oftentimes when you bet your short stack will create a situation where your opponent will not have sufficient implied odds to pursue his draw. (i.e., there is only so much he can get out of you).

But overall, I agree with you.... Don't be stupid. ;)

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Got to get to a flop though. Can't wait for a high Pocket pair. I'll usually raise pre-flop with pretty good, but not great hands. TJ suited, or KQ. That's not a bluff. Just a normal move. But I wouldn't want to call all in, pre-flop with those hands.

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
slinkybender said:
To some extent, your stack relative to the BB is as important/more important than your stack relative to the biggest stack.

Agree totally, if the blinds dont hit you so hard then you can wait for a hand.

slinkybender said:
To some extent, your stack relative to the BB is as important/more important than your stack relative to the biggest stack.
In a tournament more than in a cash game... but I agree wrt NL cash games as well.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Actually, I disagree. In a tournement you care more about your stack relative to the biggest, because to win you have to get all of his money. In a money game, you can get up and walk away any time you want, like whenever you've got whatever amount you feel like taking off of the table.

Interesting... I was considering that in a cash game with a small stack if you get "blinded out" you can just buy back in for a small amount... (after each hand if you want!), whereas in a tournament, being "blinded out" is fatal -- you're done.

(btw, as short stack at a (nonfinal) tournament table, one's focus is less on getting all of the large stack's money... and more on simply surviving and picking a spot to double up... paying attention to the blinds is paramount, imo)