Does Ortiz Deserve To Be In The HOF

Albert Belle and Kenny Lofton are 2 players that got clearly passed on for the HOF.

Belle was a Monster from 1991-2000 . And in 1995 he had a babe Ruth like year leading in doubles, home runs, RBI’s , runs, slugging percentage and total bases.

Lofton 5 stolen base titles 299 career batting average over 17 years.

Johnny.Marr

Unabashed Shill
While I admit I am a Yankee fan and maybe biased, I feel Mattingly belongs in the Hall. There was talk during his best years of him being the best player in baseball and he was a Gold Glove first baseman. With some of the guys being voted in lately, I just think he's a candidate that has waited a long time.

While I admit I am a Yankee fan and maybe biased, I feel Mattingly belongs in the Hall. There was talk during his best years of him being the best player in baseball and he was a Gold Glove first baseman. With some of the guys being voted in lately, I just think he's a candidate that has waited a long time.
If your service was as good as your written opinion on Mattingly you would be a top 3 provider on Long Island.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I love Donnie Baseball. He is my favorite Yankee of all time. He was the best player in the game for an approximate 4 year - 5 year stretch. Unfortunately - he got hurt and his production dropped. He does not get in. But I think the HOF has been watered down. When Harold Baines gets in the HOF something is wrong.
Well said. I agree 100% about Baines. Nice player, All-star, but not an all time great.
To me he lowered the bar for the Hall.

Also Kirby Puckett. Go compare his stats to Mattingly.

I love Donnie Baseball. He is my favorite Yankee of all time. He was the best player in the game for an approximate 4 year - 5 year stretch. Unfortunately - he got hurt and his production dropped. He does not get in. But I think the HOF has been watered down. When Harold Baines gets in the HOF something is wrong.
I agree with everything you said.

I think those who cast their ballots that decide who should or who should not be elected to the HOF should weigh a players contributions on what they have accomplished off the field - One's character is just as important

Instead of commenting on each person mentioned here. I'm going to take a different road on the whole subject.
When peole argue HOF /GOAT /MVP etc. To me it's just like a scientific or mathematic evaluation in a way. Well ..
IT all depends on the criteria.And in most of these discussions, unlike a scientific or mathematical evaluation there has NEVER been a set of Criteria. Which will inherently muddle the evaluation(maybe on purpose now) So now if that's the case. What do you do? Well let's simply analyze the words themselves.
HOF = Hall of FAME ie. not Hall of Achievements or HAll of Longevity or even Hall of Good Behavior
In essence it was and has been an HONOR to be a HOFer.
Now someones ACHIEVEMENTS more often than not, are what got them there. But to be a HOFer is an HONOR not an Acheivement. Being the HR or Hit King is an Acheivement. Noone is takiing that away.
So, I've over time changed my stance on whether or Not guys like steroids users get in or a Pete Rose etc. ...I Don't give a shit! and what I would say to them is TOUGH SHIT!
Your ACHEIVEMENTS.. ARE Noted in the HAll of fame, You earned that. But you simply don't have the HONOR of having a bust & a ceremony.
To those that say ...well you can't tell the story of the game, or just put an asterisk ...Well
You can tell the story of the game without giving them the HONOR in fact if you go to the HOF there is plenty of Pete Rose Information & memorobilia. Just No Bust.

However NOW with all that said. If now they've decided that the unwritten criteria does NOT Preclude a steroid user. Well then WTF might as well let them all in....right!

But how do you then allow a Sosa or Palmeiro in? who were the 2 that "most" agree were not nearly on a HOF trajectory before PEDs.
Then how do you discern that?
So I was Actually happy with the all are Out option. It kinda kept the "Evaluation process clean" as it were.
NOW Voting in Big Uninteligible Papi really fucked everything up worse. And I'm lost.