Do you still use a land line phone?

Actually, Verizon FIOS VOIP is the best VOIP due to the extreme speed of the FIOS internet, and the speed is consistent unlike Cablevision.
Verizon doesnt have VoIP anymore. Their "voicewing" service shutdown last march. Now, when you sign up for their Triple Play, the FIOS is only for your Internet and TV. The phone service is a landline.

I switched to FIOS in Oct 09' and got their triple play. I DONT use the landline. I use Vonage over FIOS. Its an extra charge, but I like the features. I actually asked verizon if it would be cheaper to drop to a double play and lose the land line. THey actually told me my bill would go up. So, I keep the landline as a backup in case we lose power.

But if one needs a phone in other than a metropoiltan area and where the basic cell phone services don't work very well, are there reliable phone alternatives in those circumstances? For example, my cell service is Verizon and when I am in NYC it works great but when I am at my other base of about 100 miles away my cell is about as reliable as a stripper saying she will call me to get together to fuck OTC.

A land line is a phone that is connected via Phone lines.
If you plug your phone into something like this

you have a land line

VoIP is a phone that connects via your Cable thru a special modem

On Long Island our power lines are above ground.
An ice storm, a hurricane, the power can be out for days,
(Obviously I'm an asshole, I've lived here 35 years and never had my power out for more than six hours at a time.)
Still, I pay Verizon $60 per month (and of course $60 for Verizon is somehow actually $90) for one line while I pay Cablevision $14.95 for the other, and the Verizon line is out every few months and the cable line has never been out.
So, yes.