Do you prefer solid state or tubes...

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
As far as range of hearing as we get older goes, I remember having a discussion with a guy who was actually research studying it a long time ago and he told me something along the lines of "no musician in a horn section over the age of 40 hears anything above 6K".

"As far as range of hearing as we get older goes, I remember having a discussion with a guy who was actually research studying it a long time ago and he told me something along the lines of "no musician in a horn section over the age of 40 hears anything above 6K".
Different process than aging—it's like evel knievel's doctors suspecting he had osteoporosis because he had so many broken bones (Guinness Book of World Records at 433).

As far as range of hearing as we get older goes, I remember having a discussion with a guy who was actually research studying it a long time ago and he told me something along the lines of "no musician in a horn section over the age of 40 hears anything above 6K".
I rode in a lot of helicopters, while in the military. So I went to the VA for hearing aids. After the test, I said, "so I bet my hearing starts rolling off at 8, or 10k." She said, no, about 1k. Yikes!

justme

homo economicus
The concept of "High Fidelity" was and has been a marketing gimmick.
Completely agree. Over the last few years I’ve transitioned from not believing that it was possible to buy on measurement to just not caring.

If people really wanted High Fidelity recordings would be made with one pair of stereo microphones
I think ECM did a bunch of that, too.

Also a friend who had these nifty mics that clipped to his eyeglasses.

justme

homo economicus
Yes, the recordings my friend made were attempting to approximate binaural recording. He went direct to DAT and recorded hundreds of shows in the late 90’s.