Dinner, Drinks with friends ( and the bill)

justme

homo economicus
You can also do separate checks.
A lot of servers will ask large groups if they want separate checks.
Just about every modern POS supports this. It’s not the hassle for servers that it used to be.

I really can’t remember a time where I had to deal with this scenario. I guess I don’t socially dine with people I don’t like that frequently.

You can also do separate checks.
A lot of servers will ask large groups if they want separate checks.
Take in from a former waiter: Separate checks for large groups was a royal pain in the ass — we didnt have POS years ago so can't comment on that.
For some reason when there is a lot of checks, besides all the extra time and work, when there are a lot of smaller checks some of the people have for some reason do not tip properly (at least 15%). I don't care if this is politically correct (as it happened a lot— ask any server) but this was especially true when the table was a large group of women.

Cash for alcohol was actually a lot better as far as tips (which made up for the little more work but was ok if you made change at time of delivery) and when you were done serving the item you were completely done with the transaction.

Just about every modern POS supports this. It’s not the hassle for servers that it used to be.

I really can’t remember a time where I had to deal with this scenario. I guess I don’t socially dine with people I don’t like that frequently.
From my experience, down south the separate check scenario is much more common. Virginia and below, almost every time I have dined with 4 or more people, they have asked on their own if we wanted separate checks when the bill was asked for. In NY it doesn't seem as common.

ditto. For as long as I can remember (and that's a long time) whenever I went out with people I knew, one guy did the math and we just split the checks evenly to the nearest (rounding up) dollar.

BTW, when I'm out only with my SO, unless the credit card transaction can be done at the table, I pay cash. I don't let my credit card out of my sight. Even with such diligence I had a card compromised last year.

A suggestion to you all: I get a text every time my cards are used including my debit card. This is literally zero inconvenience as the text comes in within seconds of me making the transaction. This is how I knew my card was compromised and I immediately notified the card issuer. As far as I can tell all the card issuers offer this feature. I'm also notified when there is a change in a recurring charge, e.g. Sirius, optimum, so I can call and tell them I want the promotional rate extended (does anyone pay more than $6 monthly for Sirius?)

If it’s friends that I look forward to seeing, I really don’t care. Even if I know that they’re hard drinkers and they don’t have a lot of money . I know that walking in. I really don’t mind. It’s not an everyday occurrence. It’s not even a weekly occurrence.

if it’s couples that I’m getting together with for the first time and I see they’re pounding away while I’m nursing one drink to be social, I will indirectly mention that I’m a very light drinker somewhere in the conversation. That way they know. And If they still intend on only paying 1/3, I know not to go out with them again.

ditto. For as long as I can remember (and that's a long time) whenever I went out with people I knew, one guy did the math and we just split the checks evenly to the nearest (rounding up) dollar.

BTW, when I'm out only with my SO, unless the credit card transaction can be done at the table, I pay cash. I don't let my credit card out of my sight. Even with such diligence I had a card compromised last year.

A suggestion to you all: I get a text every time my cards are used including my debit card. This is literally zero inconvenience as the text comes in within seconds of me making the transaction. This is how I knew my card was compromised and I immediately notified the card issuer. As far as I can tell all the card issuers offer this feature. I'm also notified when there is a change in a recurring charge, e.g. Sirius, optimum, so I can call and tell them I want the promotional rate extended (does anyone pay more than $6 monthly for Sirius?)
I actually paid around $500 for a lifetime contract in 2007 and it covered 3 radios. I think I made out on the deal at this point. Lol.

I can’t remember ever going to dinner with people I didn’t know. Splitting the check must have been invented by swingers. Most times I will pay for everyone. not alcohol drinks. I pay the tip as well

justme

homo economicus
If it’s friends that I look forward to seeing, I really don’t care. Even if I know that they’re hard drinkers and they don’t have a lot of money . I know that walking in. I really don’t mind. It’s not an everyday occurrence. It’s not even a weekly occurrence.
Thats what I was trying to get at before. I don’t socially eat with many people who I wouldn’t feel okay covering.

I have a ton of friends where we switch up paying. For some, I usually insist it’s their turn when we’re out somewhere cheap. That way it’s my turn at nice places.

When I go out to eat it is usually taking employees out so I will always pay. One time I had some POS ( as in piece of shit) order a steak to take home to his mother. and another POS buy steak knives for all the employees. Talk about nerve!! We nixed both right there and then. When it comes to going out with others ... I usually order surf and turf and tell everybody at the table - I know I order the most expensive stuff and get drinks so I will make sure I contribute my fair share. I then always put in too much so as to avoid my other friends barking at each other. There is always one or two cheapskates. I know it and don't care. It is never egregious ... and I know going in so it's expected but if they weren't good enough friends I wouldn't be going out to eat with them in the first place.

When I go out to eat it is usually taking employees out so I will always pay. One time I had some POS ( as in piece of shit) order a steak to take home to his mother. and another POS buy steak knives for all the employees. .....
I don't understand. From you post I assume that you have control over raises, work assignments and hiring and firing of employees.
So I'm confused as to why you still have stupid employees working for you

justme

homo economicus
I’d never let my friends’ lack of income keep me from enjoying their company at an occasional nice meal. It’s a win for me, so I’m not sure I deserve praise.

As far as my friends who have done as well or better than me… usually that just works with trading tabs since the value of the relationship far exceeds the value of any meal.

I’d never let my friends’ lack of income keep me from enjoying their company at an occasional nice meal. It’s a win for me, so I’m not sure I deserve praise.

As far as my friends who have done as well or better than me… usually that just works with trading tabs since the value of the relationship far exceeds the value of any meal.
Well said :)

I don't understand. From you post I assume that you have control over raises, work assignments and hiring and firing of employees.
So I'm confused as to why you still have stupid employees working for you
They were salespeople. They made me plenty of money and this behavior was corrected and not repeated. Young salespeople usually have crappy attitudes. This was a long time ago. Generally speaking I don't take the entire office out anymore for dinner. Now it's smaller groups for lunch. - those guys haven't worked for me for years. My salespeople now are older and all around better people.

Another lesson I’ve learned.. Never volunteer your CC and offer to buy staff lunch.. Did so once and my jaw dropped when I found the office treated themselves to takeout from a 5 star place..

The non expensible bill cost me a few visits to higher end talent :)

When I let them order in and I pay it is usually pizza - WHen I take them out I do take them to a nice restaurant. SInce Covid I think I have only done it once.