Colonoscopy

I’d like to also add
All men over 50 should have their PSA checked. It is a quick blood test that screens for Prostate Cancer

There are a number of reasons why a PSA could also be elevated.

Caught and treated early, it does not have to have catastrophic conclusions

billyS

Reign of Terror
I’d like to also add
All men over 50 should have their PSA checked. It is a quick blood test that screens for Prostate Cancer

If you have a family history then start at 40 to establish a baseline.

I’d like to also add

I've done a lot of research both online and with my urologist (IMHO, do your research prior to seeing your urologist so you can know what to ask and how to interpret answers)

I have my PSA checked every year when I have blood work done for my annual.

That said there are some downsides to having it done.

First, a clarification on what you posted: PSA test does not check for prostate cancer; what it checks is for the level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in your blood.

PSA is a protein produced by both noncancerous, and if there, cancerous tissue in the prostate.

Non cancerous prostates tend to produce higher levels of PSA as men age and is characteristic of the prostate enlarging. PSA result can also be higher for all kinds of reasons such as recent sexual activity or strenuous physical activity (some of us lucky guys have both at the same time).

The problem arises when PSA increases or is at a certain value, currently 4.0. Some urologists want to do a biopsy "just to be on the safe side" to check for prostate cancer. The biopsy takes a bunch of tissue from different spots (6-12) in the prostate and if cancer exists the needles might hit where the cancer is — or not.

There are always after effects (look them up). I know of two guys who had the test and both have said they insist that they will not have it done again and another (early 50's who had family history of aggressive prostate cancer, had the test, found cancer and had prostate removed.

In my case, when I turned 70 my PSA slowly increasing over the years and crossed over 4.0 to 4.5. My GP said I should see a urologist.

The urologist did a much, much more thorough prostate exam the the 2 second swipe done by my GP during my annuals. He said I have an enlarged prostate and that it is normal for men my age. He said that what he recommend is that I take Finasteride. It blocks the enzyme that turns testosterone into DHT. (interesting it also has been shown to slow, stop and even reverse the hair loss). If the PSA doesn't go down after 6 months then a biopsy should be discussed. If the PSA goes down it probably means I just have an enlarged prostate.

So after 6 months my PSA went from 4.5 to under 1.0.

Finasteride has side effects (look them up). One such side effect is it shortens your dick. (ummm —SAY WHAT!!)

And it did indeed do that and noticeably — however only in the flaccid state — erections are still the same size. Other than the effects on ego when locker room changing at the gym, the only other side effect I noticed is that even though circumcised, the remaining foreskin slides over the head when flaccid and I have to spend a lot of maintenance preventing fungal infections.

It all boils down to: "You pays your money and you takes your choice"

Joeyboy - every single person you talk to will tell you it is no big deal. Everybody thinks it is worse than it actually is. You will too. Just get it over with.
Im hoping to get it done by years end. It can't be much worse than watching 2 teams that I hate Houston and Boston playing each other in the Playoffs lol

I have mine this Friday
Your knocked out the whole time
Kinda fun except for prep
I do the clear liquids fasts for 2 days instead of the prescribed 1 day for a couple of reasons:
1. There is less stuff to blast out (a really appropriate phrase) as by the 2nd day most is already gone naturally.
2. The prep is by far the worst part — you do not want to have the MD say when you wake up (as happened to someone I know) "you were't cleaned out enough and I couldn't complete the procedure so we need to repeat in 2 weeks."

Important: get a tube of A&D Diaper Rash Ointment and use it during the prep after every blast (those of a certain age who remember the
Brylcreem commercials "A little dab'll will do ya"). Also get the softest toilet paper you can find.

If you don't you will find out why I recommend such and if you do you will thank me.

Anyone who has acid reflux more than once a week should get an endoscopy. It makes sense while your under / asleep to get this as well. It only takes an extra 15 minutes but you’ll never know since you’re sleeping. Ask your doctor about it. Better safe than sorry guys.

Anyone who has acid reflux more than once a week should get an endoscopy. It makes sense while your under / asleep to get this as well. It only takes an extra 15 minutes but you’ll never know since you’re sleeping. Ask your doctor about it. Better safe than sorry guys.
Lots of things can cause reflux
- diet
- overweight
-spicy foods
- allergies to specific foods
-eating bad pussy

Anyone who has acid reflux more than once a week should get an endoscopy. It makes sense while your under / asleep to get this as well. It only takes an extra 15 minutes but you’ll never know since you’re sleeping......
Good idea. Just make sure to tell the doc to do the endoscopy 1st before doing the colonoscopy.

No sauce 6 hours before bed.

Couple simple things:

Sleep on your left side. Gravity will work in your favor on your left side as your stomach stays below your esophagus.

Incline your bed. A block at the rt & left at the head of the bed. It raises the head of the bed a couple of inches so it doesn't look stupid. These blocks can be purchased or you can make them by cutting a square piece of wood and making shallow depression in the center for the bed post to sit — if the posts are round just use appropriate size drill — forester bit is best if you have one but a spade bit will work ok. If the post is not round you may have to make a couple of slices with a chisel to square up the round drill hole. You're not building a piece of furniture — just a block of wood that no one will see that inclines the bed slightly.

Use two pillows for your head.