Colonoscopy

Small chance but it happens. I thought we were giving him all the facts he needed to make a decision?.....
Agreed, the intent was to give him all the facts. But WADR, that's not what you did.
Here are the facts:

The average lifetime risk of getting colon-rectal cancer is approximately 1 in 23 men and 1 in 25 women.

Colon-rectal cancers are the second leading cause of cancer death in the United States. The 1st, is lung cancer.

The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy says that there are less than 3 serious complications for every 1,000 procedures done in people of average risk for colon-rectal cancer. These complications include, but not limited to, reactions to the anesthesia and perforation.

intestinal perforation during a colonoscopy is on the order of 1 in 1400.
Survival rate from perforation is on the order of 95%

I haven't found in the literature any reference to "bleeding to death". What I did find was stats on perforation of the bowel where serious bleeding occurs caused by perforation of the colon by cancer i.e., not by colonoscopy. Those stats are not relevant to this discussion.

Here are some causes of death of people I knew not related to disease (and not including two people I knew who died on 9-11 and peoples deaths I posted above):

Reaction to anesthesia during a procedure to remove a bone spur on a guy's heel (he was a runner and in his 40's)

Two people, one a stewardess on Flight 800, and another a guy (body never found) on a regular airline on a flight that crashed into the sea off of Newfoundland.

Does this mean I have second thoughts about minor surgery or airline flights. Nope on flying and for minor surgery I would consider the risk of surgery vs the benefit.

Just as I considered the risk of COVID vaccine vs the risk of not getting it. (I got it the second I found place where I could get it).

BTW, my father-in-law of my 1st wife went to ER with serious bleeding that was determined to be from colon cancer perforating the colon. He was mid 50's and never had a colonoscopy. They operated, stopped the bleeding and removed the cancer (resection of the colon) they could find. He died a year later, a miserable year of pain, chemo effects, and metastasizing of the cancer throughout his body.

Billy, I don't know why you had to post that.
I never heard of such happening. Although there is a very small risk of perforation, if such happens it would be identified during the procedure.

Major drawback to Cologuard vs regular colonoscopy:
Colonoscopy: The vast majority of colonoscopies will not find cancer as cancer at age 50 is rare. A colonoscopy will find precancerous polyps that can be removed right then and there so they will never turn into cancer.

Cologuard: it does a DNA check for cancer; this means a precancerous polyp, that would have been simply removed during a regular colonoscopy has become cancerous.

@joeyboy , maybe you should put your big boy pants on and get the colonoscopy.

Couple points:
Of the people I know personally (friends, relatives, neighbors) who have died before age 70 from diseases:
2 have died of colon cancer: both were in their 50's and only had a colonoscopy because they had cancer symptoms. (I know of at least 10 people, including me, who have had precancerous polyps removed during routine colonoscopy.)
2 have died of breast cancer: 1 had it found during exam, in her 40's, 1 never had exams , in her 50's
3 have died of lung cancer: all smokers, cancer found because they had cough and went to MD to check it out; all dead within 6 months
1 has died of a stroke at age 70, had high BP all her life and was on pill during fertile years.
1 in his 60's died of COVID
2 died in 50's from stomach cancer, found out because went to MD for stomach problems; both dead within 4 months

Trust me on this: other than the 1 who had a stroke (she didn't know what hit her and died on the spot) all those who died of the cancers I listed died painful and disgusting deaths.

We all have to go sometime but I have preventive testing and proper exercise and diet (not foolproof but the best anyone can do ) such I can reach my goal of dying from a gunshot wound thru my heart at age 97, inflicted by a jealous husband when he caught me climbing out his young wife's bedroom window.
Not a question if putting my big boy pants on, I just wanted to see what the experience was like that's all. In the future I appreciate it if you don't respond to my posts. They are useless and a waste if space. Thanks.

I would Only have this procedure in a hospital. If something goes wrong I would not want to be in an office facility
True I was just trying to avoid the overcharging that a hospital does for everything. In an office I just pay co-payment. But can't put a price on health so if hospital bill is alot...I just pay it off...in time .

I would Only have this procedure in a hospital. If something goes wrong I would not want to be in an office facility
You have to weigh that against the fact that hospitals are not a healthy place to visit as they are full of sick people.

Every one I had and everyone else in my circle of friends, relatives, work associates and acquaintances, has had it done in a facility that specializes in them and not in a hospital.

True I was just trying to avoid the overcharging that a hospital does for everything. In an office I just pay co-payment. But can't put a price on health so if hospital bill is alot...I just pay it off...in time .
Ambulatory surgical center can be cheaper. Know the codes and if it’s the first time if you’re over 50 and it’s classified as preventative you’re covered.

You have to weigh that against the fact that hospitals are not a healthy place to visit as they are full of sick people.

Every one I had and everyone else in my circle of friends, relatives, work associates and acquaintances, has had it done in a facility that specializes in them and not in a hospital.
Hospitals are where sick people go to get well. The regulatory safeguards at NSLIJ are far superior to your physician owned ASC.

You're a federal employee, your insurance will surely cover hospital visits. All you should have is a co-pay and maybe your deductible if you haven't already covered it.
You guys are making a big deal about nothing. I've had 4 of these already and no fear ever enters my mind. The only thing I say to myself is "oh fuck, I got to drink that shit again."

billyS

Reign of Terror
I had mine done right in the doctors office
He was a gastroenterologist that my Primary recommended.

Also you're not supposed to drive after being put under for a few hours.

I had mine done right in the doctors office
He was a gastroenterologist that my Primary recommended.

Also you're not supposed to drive after being put under for a few hours.
Yup, one thing to think about: my SO drives me home (and I drive her home for hers) and she has health proxy for me so each time I went and in recovery room, she was given a pile of printouts listing info from my medical records such as results of last colonoscopies — but more important drugs prescribed, recent office visits, results of recent tests — you get the idea.

If there is stuff in your records that she doesn't and and more important shouldn't know about there could be a problem if she reads it.

They do like a hundred a day. You are in and out. They have it down pat. I would highly recommend this place. I was highly impressed with their routine, efficiency and speed. I prefer to avoid hospitals.

Colonoscopy is a necessary evil, especially if you have a family history or just know you are not healthy. The procedure is not without risk. Someone close to me had gotten aspiration pneumonia from the procedure. Stuff got in their lungs somehow. They blow a lot of air in there to smooth out things so they can analyze things. Very serious and antibiotics were needed.

.... The procedure is not without risk. .....
Nothing in life is w/o risk. We hop in our cars and drive the LIE. Southern State or Northern State — very risky; people die on those highways every week. We take risks because the benefits outweighs the risks.(well usually anyway).

Some of us actually stick our bare dicks into the mouth of someone who may have had a couple of them just before us that day and maybe dozens that week.