Colonoscopy

So, my recommendations. While you are under you should also get an endoscopy along with your colonoscopy at the same time. That will rule out Barrett’s esophagus, stomach cancer and you’ll know if you have silent Gerd. if you do have chronic heartburn it needs to be addressed.

They use propofol to anesthetize you. That was Michael Jacksons sleep medication of choice. It’s the best sleep you’ll ever have. You only have to fast for one day not two. Black coffee clear chicken broth lots of Jell-O (not red color) and the new preps to clean you out are much easier. Most GI’s will perform both procedures while you’re under. You were wake up and never know anything happened then go to lunch. I always try to schedule mine early in the morning so I’m not waiting around hungry. Good luck!
I do have frequent heartburn.

Anybody try Cologuard? It’s always advertised on TV. You send them a poop smear. No prep. They do a DNA check for cancer. Supposedly 92% accurate. If they find something the. You have to do a traditional colonoscopy.

Hate to ressurect an ancient thread, but I just turned 53 and doctor told me I am overdue for a colonoscopy. Besides prep the day before ( which I know about) .is there anything else I should be concerned with? I am kinda scared to get it done, but I know I have to. Also hopefully looking to get it done in an office setting instead of a hospital. How were your experiences?
Piece of cake

Joey-
If I remember correctly , you once mentioned you work for USPS..

Take a month off, at taxpayers expense—

I just received returned piece of mail marked undeliverable- sent out 5 months ago!!! Don’t worry about the extra days off- No one will miss ya…
( I am jk)

Stay well and healthy my fellow monger :)

Joey-
If I remember correctly , you once mentioned you work for USPS..

Take a month off, at taxpayers expense—

I just received returned piece of mail marked undeliverable- sent out 5 months ago!!! Don’t worry about the extra days off- No one will miss ya…
( I am jk)

Stay well and healthy my fellow monger :)
Lol sorry about that! I don't work at the offices I am at the processing plant unloading and loading trucks of mail.

So I probably need to take 3 days off? Day before,day of, and day after?
No...

schedule your appointment first thing in the morning... I've had three colonoscopies done all at 8:00am

The evening before start the prep as early as you can, I'm off work at 3pm, so I start my prep 4 ish..

Cleanse all night, up early, head to the appointment, You're done by 8:45

Head to the diner for a big breakfast (even though they tell you to take it easy)

The preps I had have been Prepopik, and ClenPiq, you only drink like two cups..

Colonoscopy is really no biggie..

Li Steve if you don't mind me asking, what town was the place that you went to in? A few that were recommended to me use the local hospital, which I am trying to avoid.
It was out east ... Bay Shore? I think further ... I can't remember. It wasn't a a hospital though. They do something like 40 colonoscopies a day.

Just be careful who you choose to do it.
People have had their colons perforated during the procedure and bled to death on the table.
Billy, I don't know why you had to post that.
I never heard of such happening. Although there is a very small risk of perforation, if such happens it would be identified during the procedure.

Anybody try Cologuard? It’s always advertised on TV. You send them a poop smear. No prep. They do a DNA check for cancer. Supposedly 92% accurate. If they find something the. You have to do a traditional colonoscopy.
Major drawback to Cologuard vs regular colonoscopy:
Colonoscopy: The vast majority of colonoscopies will not find cancer as cancer at age 50 is rare. A colonoscopy will find precancerous polyps that can be removed right then and there so they will never turn into cancer.

Cologuard: it does a DNA check for cancer; this means a precancerous polyp, that would have been simply removed during a regular colonoscopy has become cancerous.

@joeyboy , maybe you should put your big boy pants on and get the colonoscopy.

Couple points:
Of the people I know personally (friends, relatives, neighbors) who have died before age 70 from diseases:
2 have died of colon cancer: both were in their 50's and only had a colonoscopy because they had cancer symptoms. (I know of at least 10 people, including me, who have had precancerous polyps removed during routine colonoscopy.)
2 have died of breast cancer: 1 had it found during exam, in her 40's, 1 never had exams , in her 50's
3 have died of lung cancer: all smokers, cancer found because they had cough and went to MD to check it out; all dead within 6 months
1 has died of a stroke at age 70, had high BP all her life and was on pill during fertile years.
1 in his 60's died of COVID
2 died in 50's from stomach cancer, found out because went to MD for stomach problems; both dead within 4 months

Trust me on this: other than the 1 who had a stroke (she didn't know what hit her and died on the spot) all those who died of the cancers I listed died painful and disgusting deaths.

We all have to go sometime but I have preventive testing and proper exercise and diet (not foolproof but the best anyone can do ) such I can reach my goal of dying from a gunshot wound thru my heart at age 97, inflicted by a jealous husband when he caught me climbing out his young wife's bedroom window.

Billy, I don't know why you had to post that.
I never heard of such happening. Although there is a very small risk of perforation, if such happens it would be identified during the procedure.

Major drawback to Cologuard vs regular colonoscopy:
Colonoscopy: The vast majority of colonoscopies will not find cancer as cancer at age 50 is rare. A colonoscopy will find precancerous polyps that can be removed right then and there so they will never turn into cancer.

Cologuard: it does a DNA check for cancer; this means a precancerous polyp, that would have been simply removed during a regular colonoscopy has become cancerous.

@joeyboy , maybe you should put your big boy pants on and get the colonoscopy.

Couple points:
Of the people I know personally (friends, relatives, neighbors) who have died before age 70 from diseases:
2 have died of colon cancer: both were in their 50's and only had a colonoscopy because they had cancer symptoms. (I know of at least 10 people, including me, who have had precancerous polyps removed during routine colonoscopy.)
2 have died of breast cancer: 1 had it found during exam, in her 40's, 1 never had exams , in her 50's
3 have died of lung cancer: all smokers, cancer found because they had cough and went to MD to check it out; all dead within 6 months
1 has died of a stroke at age 70, had high BP all her life and was on pill during fertile years.
1 in his 60's died of COVID
2 died in 50's from stomach cancer, found out because went to MD for stomach problems; both dead within 4 months

Trust me on this: other than the 1 who had a stroke (she didn't know what hit her and died on the spot) all those who died of the cancers I listed died painful and disgusting deaths.

We all have to go sometime but I have preventive testing and proper exercise and diet (not foolproof but the best anyone can do ) such I can reach my goal of dying from a gunshot wound thru my heart at age 97, inflicted by a jealous husband when he caught me climbing out his young wife's bedroom window.
@genius
Given this track record, I think I’ll choose to remain your acquaintance on this board only..

On a serious note though- Yes, Cancer is a horrible disease and the suffering that comes with it is not pretty..Annual visits to competent MD’s is a precautionary start. For those who have family history, there are genetic tests available too

Hate to ressurect an ancient thread, but I just turned 53 and doctor told me I am overdue for a colonoscopy. Besides prep the day before ( which I know about) .is there anything else I should be concerned with? I am kinda scared to get it done, but I know I have to. Also hopefully looking to get it done in an office setting instead of a hospital. How were your experiences?
have no worries…..it’s an easy process and of course medically & personally important…..the part I look forward to and enjoy the most is when the IV is in and you get that groggy rush….

@genius
Given this track record, I think I’ll choose to remain your acquaintance on this board only..

On a serious note though- Yes, Cancer is a horrible disease and the suffering that comes with it is not pretty..Annual visits to competent MD’s is a precautionary start. For those who have family history, there are genetic tests available too
LOL
Here's the thing I have learned over my many years on this planet: there are no sure things, the best you can do is only improve the odds in your favor.

yeah, yeah, says someone, my grandfather never say a doctor, smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day, drank like a fish and ate hotdogs, sausages and french fries every day — and lived to 97.

Other than wasting my breath telling that someone that what he is saying is probably BS I just say:

The winner of the race my not always go to the fleet of foot and stout of heart — but that's where I place my bets.