Colonoscopy

Started getting them every 3 years at 30 after something was discovered. Moved to every 5 years at 40. Really not a bad procedure, you’re out of it the whole time. And the colon blow, well, it’s a good way to shed some bloat!! I used to do the colon blow recreationally before I’d attend some bi-swinger parties on Long Island back in the early 2000’s!!!

As for results it's very likely they will only find 1 or 2 polyps which they will remove and send for biopsy along with diverticulosis which everybody eventually gets. If you have hemorrhoid issues they will fix that and they also check your prostate. Probably the best medical exam one could have along with a doppler ultrasound of the heart.

@joeyboy
I have found that it is best to do the clear broths for two days instead of the day before. This way your body clears out solids naturally ( and is pretty empty on the prep day) instead of the solids being blasted out by the prep stuff (of course you still need to do the prep).

Here's the worst thing that can happen with the whole deal: you do the prep and get to the dr's office the next morning; they put you under and when you wake up the dr says "sorry but you wren't cleaned out enough to do the exam — schedule another appointment". I know of people that it happened to. That will never happen if you do the two day routine I do.

When I had my 1st one I told the dr I wanted to watch and could he turn the monitor a little more toward me. He already had the IV in my arm. He smiled and said "sure" . The next thing I remember is I woke up in the recovery room. They say you need someone to take you home - I don't know why as when I woke I wasn't groggy at all - actually I felt refreshed.

Ps. Do not put this off. It is a very effective test and if they find anything brewing they nip it right then and there.

I did my first colonoscopy three years ago. The stuff they give you to drink was pretty bad tasting, but not horrible. I was expecting to spend A LOT of time in the bathroom, so I loaded up with lots of old comic books and magazines. My first dump was a bit much, but after that, nothing. The colonoscopy itself went fine, nothing unusual was found (well, maybe a crayon or two). I must say, the anesthetic they gave me is the same one that Michael Jackson OD'd on and boy, does that stuff work like a light switch. One shot and you're OUT!

Meat especially beef takes a long time to process. Eat normally and 4 days before stop any red meats. As genius said 2 days before hit the liquids and broths leading up to fast time. Have had 5 or 6 of them learned after the second to do the prep more naturally to avoid the " peeing out of the ass' prep experience.
The bloat/stomach discomfort/gas like pain from air being pushed in via tube does affect me sometimes and other times no issue.
Again to confirm Genius worst thing is to do prep/fast/procedure to have to do it again and with more aggressive prep ( drink, pill and enema as per a family member).
I try to get both colonoscopy and endoscopy done at same time. To save on time/anesthesia/etc

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Apparently it's been decided that after 60 if you haven't had any issues/family history it's every 10 years instead of 5.

I'm terms of dangers there's supposedly a slim chance it will trigger diverticulitis/appendicitis if you're already predisposed.

Apparently it's been decided that after 60 if you haven't had any issues/family history it's every 10 years instead of 5.

I'm terms of dangers there's supposedly a slim chance it will trigger diverticulitis/appendicitis if you're already predisposed.
Yup, got my first case of diverticulitis within a month of my first colonoscopy, history in the family.
Prep is easy now, no bad taste and the procedure is simple.

Joey - It is different nowadays. They have a new prep (maybe 4-5 years old now - it is only 16 ounces you have to drink. My doctor sent me to a medical building where that's all they do all day. It's like a factory .. you walk in they say you will be out of here in an hour. You sit in the waiting room , then you give your info, then you go in say take off your clothes, put on your gown, someone will be back for you in 5 minutes and take you in, then they wheel you into a room where the doc is sitting there waiting for you, The anesthesia knocks you out in like 3-4 seconds. You wake up and it's done. I was a little nervous about it too. Believe me ... when you wake up - you will say to yourself - that was nothing. The shitting out water till your empty is a bit much ... but it was not as bad as I had in my head. Good luck!

Li Steve if you don't mind me asking, what town was the place that you went to in? A few that were recommended to me use the local hospital,which I am trying to avoid.

Joey - It is different nowadays. They have a new prep (maybe 4-5 years old now - it is only 16 ounces you have to drink....!
It depends on the MD what they prefer. Mine didn't like the 16 oz once - something about hard on the kidneys. So you need to ask.
About only clear broth for two days instead of one - big deal, if you're lucky you will only have to do it every 5- 10 years.
The two day method is a lot easier on your ass hole and you pretty much bring to zero the probability of having to redo the prep.

Li Steve if you don't mind me asking, what town was the place that you went to in? A few that were recommended to me use the local hospital,which I am trying to avoid.
Joey-
If I may-
Who suggested you set the appointment for procedure? If it were your GP or Internist, insist they recommend you to a Gastroenterologist- More then likely the Gastroenterologist will perform these procedures (on-site in his office building ) in a dedicated area.. I am in Nassau County and have had procedures In Pro Health facilities ( they take most insurance)
( Certainly not the Pro here but imho a hospital setting not necessary unless your MD suggests because of underlying condition)

So, my recommendations. While you are under you should also get an endoscopy along with your colonoscopy at the same time. That will rule out Barrett’s esophagus, stomach cancer and you’ll know if you have silent Gerd. if you do have chronic heartburn it needs to be addressed.

They use propofol to anesthetize you. That was Michael Jacksons sleep medication of choice. It’s the best sleep you’ll ever have. You only have to fast for one day not two. Black coffee clear chicken broth lots of Jell-O (not red color) and the new preps to clean you out are much easier. Most GI’s will perform both procedures while you’re under. You were wake up and never know anything happened then go to lunch. I always try to schedule mine early in the morning so I’m not waiting around hungry. Good luck!

Hospitals are dangerous places — they are full of sick people :rolleyes:
( I just have to hijack this post for a second- reminded me of….)

Many years ago a most beautiful provider on LI. - Victoria Monroe slipped once and told me she was an RN at one of the hospitals out East… Needless to say I fantasized about her “taking care” of me in a hospital setting.

Ok- back to Colonoscopies…

Joey-
If I may-
Who suggested you set the appointment for procedure? If it were your GP or Internist, insist they recommend you to a Gastroenterologist- More then likely the Gastroenterologist will perform these procedures (on-site in his office building ) in a dedicated area.. I am in Nassau County and have had procedures In Pro Health facilities ( they take most insurance)
( Certainly not the Pro here but imho a hospital setting not necessary unless your MD suggests because of underlying condition)
My doctor recommended the procedure since I am 53 and never had one before. is it basically a co- pay? Guess I should just call and ask. Been putting it off for a few years...I just gotta do it and get it over with.

My doctor recommended the procedure since I am 53 and never had one before. is it basically a co- pay? Guess I should just call and ask. Been putting it off for a few years...I just gotta do it and get it over with.
You have no choice. just get it done. Men should now get their first one at 40. Its not bad. Clear broth, tea, jello, and eat light, 2 day before.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Just be careful who you choose to do it.
People have had their colons perforated during the procedure and bled to death on the table.

Just be careful who you choose to do it.
People have had their colons perforated during the procedure and bled to death on the table.
That’s why I had suggested earlier he choose a board certified Gastroenterologist- as well as staying away from the “factories” that churn these out by the dozens every day.

Although the risk as you say is real, the benefits outweigh the very slim possibilities of a serious side effect..