Coffee and coffee houses

billyS

Reign of Terror
Don't get me started. Girls aren't smoking anymore. I miss that smokey taste on her tongue and down her throat.
I smoked cigarettes in High School and college. I used to hear guys who didn't smoke say it was a deal breaker when dating girls. They wouldn't date girls who smoked.

Then when I quit smoking I found out why. It was disgusting. It was literally like licking an ashtray. And since full tongue on tongue kissing was the thing back then it amplified it.

I enjoy my coffee black, no sugar

The only coffee I find acceptable at home is Gevalia House Blend . I used to buy it in whole beans and grind as needed but I found that the ground coffee is just as good providing you use the 12 oz bag up in a couple of days (I usually throw out 1/3 of a bag). Ground coffee gets stale in 4 days or so once the bag is opened (refrigeration/freezing doesn't help). I make my coffee using cone and brown paper filters (traderjoes @ 100 for 1.99) with water just below boiling (teakettle tweets and I add short squirt of cool water to bring temp down slightly before pouring over grounds)

I have yet to find coffee house that makes coffee to my liking — possible exception is Sweeie Pies in Cold Spring Harbor (they have a very large area behind the shop with tables with umbrellas or teak benches with coffee tables — perfect for covid rules and nice under their shade trees after a hike at the CSH State Park.

Copenhagen Bakery in Northport has decent coffee and if you go there be sure to get an espresso cookie.

Starbucks colombia was acceptable but they stopped making that couple years ago.
Believe it or not, McD's coffee is not bad and IMHO better than the coffee houses. I usually pick up a cup on my way to Flushing on Sunday mornings.
BTW, when I park my car I take a swig of mouthwash to get rid of coffee breath.

Never smoked and never went out with a girl who was a smoker (deal breaker so why even start)

Decaf coffee is an oxymoron and the concept of flavored coffee is absurd IMHO.

I smoked cigarettes in High School and college. I used to hear guys who didn't smoke say it was a deal breaker when dating girls. They wouldn't date girls who smoked.

Then when I quit smoking I found out why. It was disgusting. It was literally like licking an ashtray. And since full tongue on tongue kissing was the thing back then it amplified it.
For me, it triggers a notion, a thought, when I was younger, she smokes, she'll do anything, she's game. And, once being a smoker years ago, I liked my cigarette break, and going into tobacco shops, taking in the varieties of tobacco products, foreign cigarettes, cigars, pipes, bidis, chewing tobacco, (Skoal) etc.. I tried them all way back in the 70's and 80's. Everybody smoked. Airplane cabins resembled a hashhish den.

As far as breath on a girl, there is a lot worse, garlic, fish, gastric problems, unflossed teeth, etc.

Recently met a cutie who smokes and I didn't know that she smokes. Went to kiss her and realized "smoke heaven" on her breath and it was like a shot of adrenaline. She noticed that I became crazed with passion and she didn't know why, but she liked the attention. But, she is cute, a cute girl who smokes.

I only drink the zero calorie energy drinks. They are not bad at all. They’re probably melting my insides , but I do like them. Orange tastes like Sunkist , Grape tastes like grape crush. They got rid of my favorite flavor (black cherry). I also go with diet Mountain Dew, diet Dr Pepper. Etc..... occasionally I get a diet Red Bull. But They’re pricey....
Bang energy, which if you have time google "Bang Energy CEO" he looks exactly like the person you would assume that runs a company called Bang energy.

But, Bang has a black cherry vanilla that is good. Zero calories.

I can only drink the yellow can of red bull.

You know those were magic tricks. Not really what happens from energy drinks
No. I am totally ignorant of that. I believed the video to be true. Maybe I should do my own experiments. Not by drinking it, experimentation. I might end up with mutated organs.

I spent a day working with a guy who was taking a can every hour. He was sweating uncontrollably, but of course the caffeine, B12 and only God knows what in the beverage, kept him focussed like an arrow to its target.

But, the downside of being so jolted for so long, must be a monumental collapse. I fear its negative side effects on Mr. Junior. It might then require an erection drug to compensate. The vicious circle has been entered into where one is balancing chemicals.

Chain coffee and tea drinking with cigarettes was and is a lifestyle of some of the older generation, and I am talking about 10 to 15 cups of coffee a day. My parents were of that ilk and the friends and neighbors around us grazed on those substances from sunrise to sunset.

My father was a manual laborer. He could fix or build anything. I spent a summer with him building a huge field rock retaining wall every night after he finished his day job, stripping metal by hand with a straight-edge as a machine rebuilder. Under the hot sun, he would chug quarts and quarts and quarts of iced coffee prepared by my mother and he would yell up to her to keep em coming, as he dug a four foot foundatin and moved bolders weighing hundreds of pounds.

Those World War 2 vets were studs. I grew up around those men in machine shops. They had awesome mature power like old mules. You didn't get in their way. They were fearless. In his 70's my father dismantled some young thugs with weapons as they attempted to roll him. There were two of them working in tandem. The old Marine knocked one unconscious with a right cross, and the other one fled for his life. (guys in their twenties)

Following that, my father went to his Dunkin' Donuts hangout for coffee and laughed with his WW2 vet friends about the fun he just had taking care of the punks. That was child's play for Marines that fought their way through the jungles, ravaged by malaria, starving and fighting sometimes hand to hand combat.

The man had but two pleasures in life, coffee and the New York Yankees.
Love you, Dad. "Semper fi." (I notice tears welling up)

No. I am totally ignorant of that. I believed the video to be true. ......I spent a day working with a guy who was taking a can every hour. He was sweating uncontrollably, but of course the caffeine, B12 and only God knows what in the beverage, kept him focused like an arrow to its target.

But, the downside of being so jolted for so long, must be a monumental collapse......
Here is another video that may be relevant to energy drinks. As funny now as when I 1st saw it years ago.

Here is another video that may be relevant to energy drinks. As funny now as when I 1st saw it years ago.

Thanks, Genius. Jim Carrey is so unbelievably talented.

I acutally never tried a Red Bull. But, I once had to pull an all-nighter and I went to GNC to try and find a healthy alternative to coffee. Found something like "All Natural RX8 with mahuang." (Mahuang has since been banned) Well, the all-nighter turned out to be 48 hours with my eyes totally unshuttered, wide-open with my heart beating like a sump-pump during a monsoon. At one point, I thought I could levitate.

It was then that I learned that coffee in moderation is a pretty safe drug when used in moderation. My Peruvian beans right now are offering me great solace. I also have some Costa-Rican beans on deck, as an experiment.

You seem to have a very nice coffee ritual laid out, keeping your water just a smidgen below boiling, and a premium blend of Gevalia with crude brown paper filters. I can envision a very pure cup. I have become used to percolating the coffee for a very robust flavor. But, the real coffe connoisseurs would find my method surely uncouth.

Thanks again for the video. Be well.

...... I have become used to percolating the coffee for a very robust flavor. But, the real coffee connoisseurs would find my method surely uncouth.

Thanks again for the video. Be well.
Not so much uncouth as can be unhealthy for some. Coffee should be brewed at around 200deg F. Better coffee houses will have a way to regulate water to that temperature. Boiling water will over-extract and result in a more bitter brew (same with tea — read the box).

Also, paper filter absorbs cafestol, a potent cholesterol-elevating compound, leached from the coffee (my unhealthy for some reference above). The paper has little effect on caffeine.

So percolating and French press brewing may be an issue if you have elevated LDLs to start with. Keurig pods have a paper filter in the pod I believe. Other than the cafetol, drinking several cups of coffee daily has a significant lowering the risk of liver cancer regardess of the brewing process.

Some purists swear by the Chemex coffee pot ( the coffee house on main street in Farmingdale across from Farmingdale meat market) uses only that and also has temperature controlled water for brewing — so don't go there if you want a quick cup of coffee as their process takes time for each cup.)

I don't think the Chemex method is worth the trouble compared to just using a coffee filter with cone sitting right on the mug you plan to drink from.

Not so much uncouth as can be unhealthy for some. Coffee should be brewed at around 200deg F. Better coffee houses will have a way to regulate water to that temperature. Boiling water will over-extract and result in a more bitter brew (same with tea — read the box).

Also, paper filter absorbs cafestol, a potent cholesterol-elevating compound, leached from the coffee (my unhealthy for some reference above). The paper has little effect on caffeine.

So percolating and French press brewing may be an issue if you have elevated LDLs to start with. Keurig pods have a paper filter in the pod I believe. Other than the cafetol, drinking several cups of coffee daily has a significant lowering the risk of liver cancer regardess of the brewing process.

Some purists swear by the Chemex coffee pot ( the coffee house on main street in Farmingdale across from Farmingdale meat market) uses only that and also has temperature controlled water for brewing — so don't go there if you want a quick cup of coffee as their process takes time for each cup.)

I don't think the Chemex method is worth the trouble compared to just using a coffee filter with cone sitting right on the mug you plan to drink from.
Fascinating info
What ever happened to “ large, milk and sugar” ? :)

I heard it told that Henry Ford, the great car manufacturer, the very man that transformed the world from horse and carriage to a very reliable and affordable Model T, invented the coffee break.

The powerful industrialist and business magnate, who built a city around his car manufacturing plant with housing, allowing men and women the ability to devote their lives to his dream of creating cars for the masses, found that in the final hours of the day, his assembly line lost vigor. Production output decreased dramaticcally by the end of the day when compared to the morning and afternoon.

He perched himself high above the plant with a birdseye view of his thousands of employees, and realized that his production of car bodies and engines depended upon the energy level of his employees. But, it was just human nature for their energy to dwindle as the long day wore on.

Now, Henry Ford was extremely frugal and he was already paying his employess very well by 1920's standards, and he was producing a brand-new reliable car for about $950, so he really could not afford to stop the assembly line and give the workers a rest.

But, he pulled a brilliant move; he initiated the coffee break, paying his employees to sit and drink coffee. But, after the caffeine fix, the assembly line returned to full-production as Old Henry perched high above his servants watched with delight, the full swing of his assembly line moving frantically to keep pace with engines being mounted on bodies. His morning assembly line output began to match his late day output.

I heard it told that Henry Ford, the great car manufacturer, the very man that transformed the world from horse and carriage to a very reliable and affordable Model T, invented the coffee break.

The powerful industrialist and business magnate, who built a city around his car manufacturing plant with housing, allowing men and women the ability to devote their lives to his dream of creating cars for the masses, found that in the final hours of the day, his assembly line lost vigor. Production output decreased dramaticcally by the end of the day when compared to the morning and afternoon.

He perched himself high above the plant with a birdseye view of his thousands of employees, and realized that his production of car bodies and engines depended upon the energy level of his employees. But, it was just human nature for their energy to dwindle as the long day wore on.

Now, Henry Ford was extremely frugal and he was already paying his employess very well by 1920's standards, and he was producing a brand-new reliable car for about $950, so he really could not afford to stop the assembly line and give the workers a rest.

But, he pulled a brilliant move; he initiated the coffee break, paying his employees to sit and drink coffee. But, after the caffeine fix, the assembly line returned to full-production as Old Henry perched high above his servants watched with delight, the full swing of his assembly line moving frantically to keep pace with engines being mounted on bodies. His morning assembly line output began to match his late day output.
Didn’t work out so well for his Jungle Utopia. Fordlandia was a bust. Needed a better moderator

Didn’t work out so well for his Jungle Utopia. Fordlandia was a bust. Needed a better moderator
Well, you win some; you lose some. He got sick of buying rubber at a high price from the Brits for all those tires and gaskets used on the Model T. It seemed like a good idea. Cheap Brazilian labor, plenty of rubber trees.

But, he was an industrialist and not an agriculturalist and he failed to understand the Amazon forest and the Brazilian mentality.

To cut this short and forgetting about the expert's reasons for why he failed which are different than mine, He really f'___'d up by forbiding his Brazilian employees the use of alcohol and brothels. How dare he? Just stupid. No alcohol and no whores, after working all day in his sweat shops!!!!!!! WTF was he thinking????? And, then he tried to push American poetry and square dancing on these already high-spirited, highly sensual beautiful people. Oh, Jeez.

Fordlandia would have been a huge success had he built an onsite distillery and a red light district on premises. Now, I would have moved down there and worked for minimum wage with those perks.

Anyway, to keep this on track, he should have been a real trendsetter and developed Brazilian coffee instead of rubber in Brazil.

But, I digress. We were talking about his mammoth success in Dearborn, Michigan, and his successful use of the drug caffeine to keep the assembly line moving.

Southdown coffee (Huntington, north port, oyster bay and glen cove)
Flux Coffee (farmingdale)
and The Witches Brew (west Hempstead)

are the only ‘boutique’ coffee shops worth going to. That became a good trend for entrepreneurs to dip their feet in and is now an over saturated market with crap like the microbrew gastro pub flavor of the week spots

Well, you win some; you lose some. He got sick of buying rubber at a high price from the Brits for all those tires and gaskets used on the Model T. It seemed like a good idea. Cheap Brazilian labor, plenty of rubber trees.

But, he was an industrialist and not an agriculturalist and he failed to understand the Amazon forest and the Brazilian mentality.

To cut this short and forgetting about the expert's reasons for why he failed which are different than mine, He really f'___'d up by forbiding his Brazilian employees the use of alcohol and brothels. How dare he? Just stupid. No alcohol and no whores, after working all day in his sweat shops!!!!!!! WTF was he thinking????? And, then he tried to push American poetry and square dancing on these already high-spirited, highly sensual beautiful people. Oh, Jeez.

Fordlandia would have been a huge success had he built an onsite distillery and a red light district on premises. Now, I would have moved down there and worked for minimum wage with those perks.

Anyway, to keep this on track, he should have been a real trendsetter and developed Brazilian coffee instead of rubber in Brazil.

But, I digress. We were talking about his mammoth success in Dearborn, Michigan, and his successful use of the drug caffeine to keep the assembly line moving.
No brothels ! That’s why it was so remote