Coffee and coffee houses

Getting back to NEW Amsterdam, my longtime fave is "Fairway Blend" from (surprise!) Fairway. IIRC its >$5/pound.

Their "Cross Bronx Espresso" is pretty damn good too and probably the best coffee name in the city, if not the world.

Juan Valdez is a chain. It's all over the city. It beats Starbucks, I'll say that.

Veermy goes to one on 57th after he hits Bloomie's with his girls.

Last edited:
Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Brasil Coffee House, Vernon Blvd., LIC
Mr WetWooly - Since you seem to be in my neck of the woods quite a bit, there is a coffee house on the SE corner of 39th PL and Queens Blvd.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I did stop in for a smoothie. Place use to be a laundromat / luggage store / arcade in it's other lifetimes. There is internet connection, comfy leather chairs, and a young blonde latina behind the counter :). Has a feel of a yuppie/hipster joint - something you would find on the UWS.
They have a kitchen with some sort of menu - I do recall paninis though. Have seen some nice eye candy lounging around on occassion

no, i just give them $20 and send their ass to H&M.

where are the other juan valdez stores?

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Juan Valdez is a chain. It's all over the city. It beats Starbucks, I'll say that.

Veermy goes to one on 57th after he hits Bloomie's with his girls.

DoNotDisturb said:
Mr WetWooly - Since you seem to be in my neck of the woods quite a bit, there is a coffee house on the SE corner of 39th PL and Queens Blvd.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I did stop in for a smoothie. Place use to be a laundromat / luggage store / arcade in it's other lifetimes. There is internet connection, comfy leather chairs, and a young blonde latina behind the counter :). Has a feel of a yuppie/hipster joint - something you would find on the UWS.
They have a kitchen with some sort of menu - I do recall paninis though. Have seen some nice eye candy lounging around on occassion

Funny you mention this place. I walked by it last Thurs. night on my way to Sidetracks and saw some artsy young professionial types in there.

Time to revive this old thread.

What are your coffee habits, blends, country of origin, coffee spots, et cetera?

The only reason I bring it up, I gave up coffee for a while and switched to tea because the coffee I was drinking was so drab and after drinking it, I felt glum, lazy and foggy. (maybe just some bad beans) There are such a myriad of beans and blends and countries of origin and methods of preparation.

Anyway, on a whim and a hunch, I bought some beans from Peru and brewed it up and, wow, what a great cup of coffee and I felt so light and spirited after drinking it. My calmness and concentration was quite nice and even my liveliness and desire to exercise was elevated. Maybe just lucky beans.

But, I realized the great variation and chemical compositions of coffees grown in different climates, lands, valleys and mountains.

Your ideas, habits, suggestions, favorites would be much appreciated.

Time to revive this old thread.

What are your coffee habits, blends, country of origin, coffee spots, et cetera?

The only reason I bring it up, I gave up coffee for a while and switched to tea because the coffee I was drinking was so drab and after drinking it, I felt glum, lazy and foggy. (maybe just some bad beans) There are such a myriad of beans and blends and countries of origin and methods of preparation.

Anyway, on a whim and a hunch, I bought some beans from Peru and brewed it up and, wow, what a great cup of coffee and I felt so light and spirited after drinking it. My calmness and concentration was quite nice and even my liveliness and desire to exercise was elevated. Maybe just lucky beans.

But, I realized the great variation and chemical compositions of coffees grown in different climates, lands, valleys and mountains.

Your ideas, habits, suggestions, favorites would be much appreciated.
And those beans from Peru were named/ purchased what/where?

And those beans from Peru were named/ purchased what/where?
Sorry, Mr. Jizz. I am in a foreign hot country and I had a choice to buy bulk beans with a scoop from a number of different countries like Colombia, (which I usually buy) Brazil, Guatemala, and the like. I just took a shot on the Peru beans, not being happy with my consistent Colombian-grown coffee beans.

For me, the Peru coffee just seemed lighter and brighter. The taste was still deep and strong, but the effect on my energy level just felt nice. My exercise program today went smoother and I stayed pretty lively all day, despite the oppressive heat.

Many stores have coffees from all over the world. Coffee plantations impart unique characteristics to their coffee beans, depending on soil, altitude, climate, roasting process. Your brewing method also affects the coffee greatly.

My brewing method is undoubtedly the worst. I use an old electric Farberware percolator like my parents used. Old habits die slow. Percolators are known to make coffee bitter and more robust. I travel with it. It is the first thing I pack before traveling. A while back, I brewed coffee with it high in the Himalayan Mountains and I drank with my mountain driver in the lower regions when there was still electricity. I like the little powerful device unchanged very much from the 1930's

But, it keeps the coffee hot all day for multiple cups. I was using a simple French press for a while, and that is really nice for a purist but you must consume your coffee immediately, but no doubt a nice fresh cup of pure flavorful coffee.

I am sure that some of the guys here could offer much more by way of expertise and knowledge on beans, country of origin and brewing methods. I am just trying to get by on a fairly decent cup without constantly running out to coffee shops. And, recently COVID restrictions don't allow in-store dining, so I am better off making my own. It is also more economical and more efficient. By the time I buy a cup at at a Starbucks or the like and bring it home, it lost its peak of freshness.

I don’t get it. I find coffee repulsive. Yeah, it wakes you up. So does a Red Bull , Monster or even a Mountain Dew. (My three go to’s in the morning)

I remember going to see Angel Baby’s sister Christina years ago . And she had a cup of that horrid “Cafe Bustelo” . The room stank. Before I could do anything, I asked her to brush her teeth and then down a few dozen tic tacs...... Then and only then , could I get crazy hard and bangs her out. I miss her. Damn. Does anyone hear from her?

I remember thinking my divorce lawyer was really hot. We were at our last hearing signing the paperwork. I wanted to ask her out. But her breath was that of cold coffee and cigarettes. I couldn’t come close to her , I wanted to vomit.

Gross........

billyS

Reign of Terror
I don’t get it. I find coffee repulsive. Yeah, it wakes you up. So does a Red Bull , Monster or even a Mountain Dew. (My three go to’s in the morning)

I remember going to see Angel Baby’s sister Christina years ago . And she had a cup of that horrid “Cafe Bustelo” . The room stank. Before I could do anything, I asked her to brush her teeth and then down a few dozen tic tacs...... Then and only then , could I get crazy hard and bangs her out. I miss her. Damn. Does anyone hear from her?

I remember thinking my divorce lawyer was really hot. We were at our last hearing signing the paperwork. I wanted to ask her out. But her breath was that of cold coffee and cigarettes. I couldn’t come close to her , I wanted to vomit.

Gross........
Agree with most of what said about coffee and cigarettes breath.
But I don't like getting my caffeine from carbonated drinks. Makes me feel bloated and I notice at work that guys who do drink soda or energy drinks all have big belly's.
Plus Red Bull to me tastes disgusting. It's like that red tart candy I hated as a kid.
Never tried Monster.
Only time I drink soda is if it has whiskey in it.

Agree with most of what said about coffee and cigarettes breath.
But I don't like getting my caffeine from carbonated drinks. Makes me feel bloated and I notice at work that guys who do drink soda or energy drinks all have big belly's.
Plus Red Bull to me tastes disgusting. It's like that red tart candy I hated as a kid.
Never tried Monster.
Only time I drink soda is if it has whiskey in it.
I only drink the zero calorie energy drinks. They are not bad at all. They’re probably melting my insides , but I do like them. Orange tastes like Sunkist , Grape tastes like grape crush. They got rid of my favorite flavor (black cherry). I also go with diet Mountain Dew, diet Dr Pepper. Etc..... occasionally I get a diet Red Bull. But They’re pricey....

Gross........
Coffee smell or breath repulsive?
Never heard that one before.. :)

Cigarette breath or smell, yes!!

Angel Baby has a sister in the business?
Tell me more :)

Gross........
Don't get me started. Girls aren't smoking anymore. I miss that smokey taste on her tongue and down her throat.

There was an older asian whore close to 60 on Delaware Street in Flushing. She looked exactly like an Asian Mrs. Robinson. Smoked like a chimney, thin, fit, incessant fucking, couldn't get enough, and dressed stately in older style western clothes, similar to Jackie Kennedy and she wore dark sunglasses.

My God, spectacular older woman, confident, like from a back alley bar in Shanghai, a smoking, drinking bar whore trurning tricks for a line of sailors, one after another and smoking an unfiltered Pall-Mall after draining each sailor. She was absolutely insatiable.

Back in the day, my Korean Mamasan girlfriend smoked 4 to 5 packs of Virginia Slims a day. To each his own, I guess.

But, coffee breath, that is no turn-on for me. Not the same. Smoke comes from fire. Different element. Smoke feels more devilish. A devilish woman.