Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Kimmie just read this thread. Sorry to hear of your condition. Hope you are not in pain today sweets. I actually had that in my right hand and had the operation at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital about 5 years ago. Have a pretty good scar from the operation on my right hand. If you have any questions feel free to ***** me. Hope you feel OK sweets.

I think with the advent of the computer age the number of CTS cases has increased dramatically (although the first cases documented were on assembly line employees). I know that if I have a full day of typing on the computer (days where I am actually working and not surfing on UG), I will start to feel numbness in my fingertips and sometimes if it is really bad, the numbness will migrate up the hand, past the wrist and sometimes all the way up to the elbow. Do I think I have CTS? Yes. But since I am the type who would have to be on death's bed before I will actually go to see the doctor, I doubt I would ever get it taken care of, unless the pain was too much.

Originally posted by jseah
But since I am the type who would have to be on death's bed before I will actually go to see the doctor, I doubt I would ever get it taken care of, unless the pain was too much.
You know what's funny J? The same is true for me. I'm not scared of hospitals (ok, maybe my heart rate goes up a bit when it's time to get a shot), I think I'm just so dumb that I'll let whatever's happening work itself out over time. I also think that my dad's influence of not letting much stop him from work or his responsiblilities. The thing is that he goes to the doctor regularly now that he is older. Weird.

Originally posted by akshun

You know what's funny J? The same is true for me. I'm not scared of hospitals (ok, maybe my heart rate goes up a bit when it's time to get a shot), I think I'm just so dumb that I'll let whatever's happening work itself out over time. I also think that my dad's influence of not letting much stop him from work or his responsiblilities. The thing is that he goes to the doctor regularly now that he is older. Weird.
yeah, usually when I am sick, I will just crawl into bed....maybe take a couple of OTC pills, and wait for it to pass.....although a couple of years back I had suffered a bout of migraines....and wished that I was dead. my dad is the same way, although he has to regularly see doctors now because of he is diabetic, and is fighting prostate cancer......gee, my future looks bright.

When I was a unemployed for a while in the mid 90's I was clicking links on the web constantly. I had (undiagnosed) CTS in my right wrist for around 6 months. It hurt all the time & made it difficult for me to sleep. I even tried the brace for a while. I learned keyboard shortcuts & now use the mouse as little as possible. Even though I'm on computers even more now, the problem hasn't re-occurred.

Hey J is your dad overweight? In general there are 2 classes of diabetes called cleverly enough type I and typeII. Type I (used to be called juvenille) affects you as a young person and you are thin. YOu genetically make no insulin (your beta islet cells just dont work). Type II "basically" occurs by "wearing out" your beta islet cell. These pts are affected later in life and are overweight.

My cousin has type II. Diabetes (WHEN UNCONTROLLED) is a disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone I know (not to mention care about). Encourage your dad to follow his PMD/endocrinologists advice and you should just try to eat well.

As for the prostate CA, if you don't mind, how far along is it? Has it spread? Prostate Ca is one of those "slow grow" cancers and it is not uncommon for men to die of natural/other causes and have prostate ca diagnosed on autopsy. It can be resected through the urethra (TURP) and you stay in the hospital until your urine turns yellow again (~2-3 days).

As for you, you can take a PSA (prostate specific antigen) test. THis measures a chemical inyour blood. One test alone can't tell you if you have Ca, but if it rises from base line this can give you early warning.

In genreal if you are in your fifties go get the test (about 40- 45 for African American men). Men should be as concerned about prostate Ca as women are about breast Ca.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
actually, my dad has type II.....and it was brought on by old age (he is 85) and not being overweight (he is thin as a rail)....apparently this is very common for asians.

as for the prostate cancer, it had already spread to his hip and one of his legs, and also because of his age, my brother (he is a doctor) recommended against surgery and chemo. His quality of life would have been nonexistent. They didn't discover it until one day he just collapsed while walking.

I think they did put him on some sort of program of hormone injections to help boost his strength and manage the pain and now it is about 18 months later, his strength and energy has come back (although he did look like he aged 10 years in the past 2). so whatever they did seem to work, as test has shown that the cancer hasn't spread (and in fact seemed to have diminished). Not bad since when he was first diagnosed the doctors estimated that he would only have about a year left.

thanks.....

he has had a very full life......still hearing stories from him that blows my mind....

thing is like the saying goes that we don't imagine outliving our kids, we also don't imagine our parents not outliving us (not being around).

Very funny P and jseah very fing funny :rolleyes:

Thanks Vegas Jim. Any of your experience you can share with me would be appreciated.

I really really REALLY dont want this to have to cum to surgery. But it sounds like it might be the only solution..

I hate being cut up, unless it is by a plastic surgeon..

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Originally posted by Kimmie
I hate being cut up, unless it is by a plastic surgeon..
You dont really want to be "cut up" by a plastic surgeon, rather, sculpted, nipped, tucked and tightened. And BTW, if you ever get the opportunity to see, a "tummy tuck", it might change your mind about cosmetic surgery completely.
take care
hp

Originally posted by Kimmie
Thank you for the info guys, and those who e*mailed me privately.

The reason I wrote the thread today was because today the pain was most painful ever. From my fingers to half way up towards my elbow on my right hand. I wore my brace today when I went shopping.

Today the pain was the worse it has EVER been, but I want to avoid surgery and I HATE HATE these damn braces!!!

But if I have to get it, akshun can you do me please? ;)
Kimmie try using Arnica Montana pellets that you place under your tongue. It also come in creme or gel form and it helps speed up the heeling process. You can get it at any healthj food store.

Follow up

This is for Kimmie...
FYI, I mentioned that a friend had surgery on her right hand for CTS, and she complained how it hurt like hell. Spoke to her today and asked the status, no more pain, hand feels great and shes decided that getting the left hand done would be a good move. Of course YMMV.

Thanks Justbill.

I had a doctors appointment yesterday but kinda forgot.. Thanks for everyones advice and input. My wrists are not as bad as the day I started this thread so I must be doing something right..