Cancer

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
My last two trips have been riddled with that word. Something I use to see as far fetched and only happens occasionally has become a main topic of conversation.

It’s alarming to me how many of my friends and their families are affected by cancer. And it’s not just one kind, I’m talking all kinds… blood, liver, breast, pancreatic, colon, prostate… I mean, holy cow.

Could this be a Long Island problem? Is there something in the air or water that we should all be concerned about? I really don’t know. One thing I do know, is that I am praying for all those affected by this terrible disease. My heart breaks to know that the people I care about are hurting.

All of my encounters and interactions start here on UG… so these are UG family that I am speaking of. It’s really something id like to get some input on. What do you think could be the common cause?

Unfortunately i also have too many friends and relatives who are suffering from this, and they're spread out over a few different states, so i wouldn't say its related to Long Island. That said, there have been articles in the past about higher breast cancer rates in LI but i don't recall if they ever concluded why. It sucks and its been going on too long!

This is a huge topic of discussion in some circles. A Statistician,I knew, brought up how there seems to be a cluster of cancer diagnosis in specific parts of suffolk and it was thought to be related to the transportation of nuclear waste along the railroads at night. Remember she said that studies showed there was no statistical significance found but she and her husband decided to avoid the "cluster" areas any way.

LI has an interesting history with nuclear waste, looking at you Northrop Grumman, and I do wonder if the chickens are coming home to roost.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Moving thread to Health and Fitness forum, as I really don't think this is Industry Related.

There are clusters on Long Island, usually revolving around area's where the ground water has been contaminated by solvents used in manufacturing.

I've heard Jewish woman on Long Island suffer breast cancer at a higher rate than Nationally although I don't don't buy some of the reasons like diet. All speculation.

Unfortunately i also have too many friends and relatives who are suffering from this, and they're spread out over a few different states, so i wouldn't say its related to Long Island. That said, there have been articles in the past about higher breast cancer rates in LI but i don't recall if they ever concluded why. It sucks and its been going on too long!
The breast cancer incidence in Suffolk County, in the years 1994 to 1998, was 118.2 cases per 100,000 women per year and in Nassau County it was 115.6, according to the State Health Department. The rate in the United States was 114.3 cases per 100,000 women, the National Cancer Institute said. That means that the breast cancer incidence in Suffolk County was 3.4 percent above the national average, and in Nassau County it was 1.1 percent higher than the national average. This is a slight increase above average (although cold confort to a women who gets B C)
The highest B C rate in NYS is not on LI but upstate (Warren County by Lake George is the highest).

Note that LI has a higher percentage of Jews than the general population of the US and Jews of a certain heritage (ancestry from certain parts of Europe) have a 1 in 40 chance of having a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation. Those with those genes is about a ten times greater probability than that of the general population.

Moving thread to Health and Fitness forum, as I really don't think this is Industry Related.

There are clusters on Long Island, usually revolving around area's where the ground water has been contaminated by solvents used in manufacturing.
With any large sets of data (data that is randomly distributed) there will be (to use your term — clusters) clusters that will be above, around and below the mean.

I've heard Jewish woman on Long Island suffer breast cancer at a higher rate than Nationally although I don't don't buy some of the reasons like diet. All speculation.
See my post #&.
Note there are modest correlations (note that correlation does not necessarily mean causation) between high fat low fiber diets and B C

Having lived on LI my whole life I have heard all the stories everyone is talking about. Not sure if anything really correlates or holds any water.

Also having an aunt w breast cancer, dad w prostate cancer and my wife with breast cancer I can speak from experience and say this disease doesn’t discriminate. It’s ugly. Aunt lived in city whole life so never near a hotspot. Wife lived in Bronx most of her life.

I wish we could find a root cause or a definitive way to treat and eradicate it from the body bc I wish this on no one.

There are so many variables and mitigating influences in an individual’s life that either prevents and/or welcomes diseases like cancer and so many other discords and diseases.

One must find their own means, methods, beliefs, habits, rituals, remedies to keep one’s self whole and healthy.

Outside negative circumstances of our polluted and overused environment certainly are many.

We must take command of our own destiny. Believe in yourself. Take some time everyday to create yourself as a conqueror of all the potential chaos that abounds, and not a victim.

You are responsible to maintain yourself healthy and whole. Achieving that, you have the ability to help others who are less aware.

I’m a Cancer survivor, and in my case it was third stage Colon Cancer that I managed to catch in the nick of time. I happened to be extremely fortunate in that I had excellent doctors who spotted signs that were totally out of the ordinary. Even with all of that I still underwent cancer surgery and then 6 months of chemotherapy.
Many times it’s not only environmental factors. Although I’ve lived on Long Island a number of years, I was born and raised in Brooklyn and lived there until I was married. Diet is not always the culprit either. I’ve had family members who unfortunately battled cancer as well. Sometimes it’s just the luck of the genetics we’re born with.
All of these factors have an impact on how our biological systems react and adapt. The best we can do is take what we have learned and hopefully lead a healthy lifestyle.

Long Island has more super fund sites then anywhere in the country.

To me it has to be the water.

The two grummans sites leaking jet fuel and anything else in the the ground. There is a study watching the contaminated water moving south through the aquifer.

Brookhaven Lab the first atoms were spilt in that stainless steel centrifuge. There are contaminated sites coned off all over the facility.

Plumb Island “animal disease site” I still say they do germ warfare on that site. They have a boat patrolling the island shooting any animal that tries to swim off the island

And the sumps. What a stupid idea to have rain water collection from roads where cars and trucks leaking everything and anything on the road. Like the sand is going to filter out everything. If it did why are there water treatment plants all over the island before it gets pumped up to a steal water tower, they don’t rust right?

It goes on and on Sofia.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Long Island has more super fund sites then anywhere in the country.

To me it has to be the water.

The two grummans sites leaking jet fuel and anything else in the the ground. There is a study watching the contaminated water moving south through the aquifer.

Brookhaven Lab the first atoms were spilt in that stainless steel centrifuge. There are contaminated sites coned off all over the facility.

Plumb Island “animal disease site” I still say they do germ warfare on that site. They have a boat patrolling the island shooting any animal that tries to swim off the island

And the sumps. What a stupid idea to have rain water collection from roads where cars and trucks leaking everything and anything on the road. Like the sand is going to filter out everything. If it did why are there water treatment plants all over the island before it gets pumped up to a steal water tower, they don’t rust right?

It goes on and on Sofia.
When we were teenagers and we used to do our own oil change, it was legal to just walk down the block and dump the old oil down the sewer.

My last two trips have been riddled with that word. Something I use to see as far fetched and only happens occasionally has become a main topic of conversation.

It’s alarming to me how many of my friends and their families are affected by cancer. And it’s not just one kind, I’m talking all kinds… blood, liver, breast, pancreatic, colon, prostate… I mean, holy cow.

Could this be a Long Island problem? Is there something in the air or water that we should all be concerned about? I really don’t know. One thing I do know, is that I am praying for all those affected by this terrible disease. My heart breaks to know that the people I care about are hurting.

All of my encounters and interactions start here on UG… so these are UG family that I am speaking of. It’s really something id like to get some input on. What do you think could be the common cause?
Some hot spots in areas where military used to operate. Rail cars that transported materials sitting behind homes. Illegal dumping in the potato fields before homes were built. (Maybe that’s why none have basements?). There was a survey years ago where they went door to door looking for baby teeth to analyze. Seeing that all Longisland water comes from underground is why I only drink bottled when dining.

Some hot spots in areas where military used to operate. Rail cars that transported materials sitting behind homes. Illegal dumping in the potato fields before homes were built. (Maybe that’s why none have basements?). There was a survey years ago where they went door to door looking for baby teeth to analyze. Seeing that all Longisland water comes from underground is why I only drink bottled when dining.
Your entire life only bottled and filtered water? Even when showering and brushing teeth?

Don’t forget the 9/11 toxic plume that so many breathed in. I will never forget smelling remnants of all that toxic dust on LI. What exactly everyone was exposed to remains a partial mystery. But it was like 65,000 gallons of jet fuel and 10,000,000 tons of building materials burning at 1,000 degrees and blew east towards LI. Let’s see there was incinerated electric cables, glass, PCBs, cement, drywall, steel, rugs and a lot more in there — even titanium I heard. So many were bathed in the twin towers dust.