Burner Phones

I agree. Slowly but surely all of the phone apps are requiring access to contacts. They used to let you choose whether or not you wish to grant access, but now most of them will not let you make phone calls without it. I still use Burner, and I love it. They are still holding strong, and have a bunch of features. Paid service, but quite nice IMO.

I'd hate to have my boss' wife receive a friend suggestion from "Anal Annie". Not sure I can talk my way out of that...
Woah, wait a minute ...

Who is 'Anal Annie'?? Services? Rates?
Reviews??

Lol, j/k ...!

V

So based on this thread, and the collective knowledge from UG in general, I deleted my Burner App and got a cheap pre-paid.
I got an email about a recurring charge for the Burner App, even after having deleted it. While trying to remove the charge from existence, I noticed that there is a list of every Burner App purchase I've ever made. Rather enlightening.
Lose the app, fellas. Follow everyone else's advice; get a prepaid and treat yourself to a couple of gift cards (paid for in cash).

pokler

Power Bottom
So based on this thread, and the collective knowledge from UG in general, I deleted my Burner App and got a cheap pre-paid.
I got an email about a recurring charge for the Burner App, even after having deleted it. While trying to remove the charge from existence, I noticed that there is a list of every Burner App purchase I've ever made. Rather enlightening.
Lose the app, fellas. Follow everyone else's advice; get a prepaid and treat yourself to a couple of gift cards (paid for in cash).
Bottom line .. No App exists that can hide you from subpoena power. App providers are not going to put themselves in legal jepeordy to protect you. ( unless your name is Trump and provider is Roger Stone )

2G service is being gradually phased out. My $10 Tracfone burner suddenly read "No service" a week ago but it still has minutes and days left. Probably won't bother replacing it with a 4G smart phone since all my calls are to legit places now anyway.

Is there a way to transfer out the burner number, or do you text all contacts that you changed number? (it seems that several places share "good number" data) I would hate to have to re-verify everywhere...

I use TextFree app as it does not require App Subscriptions, has alternate ways to increase weekend minutes and seems pretty good in terms of service. Might need to look at cheap phone per phone recommendation.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
I've been happily using Google Voice for years. The only issues I have had are
1. I can't text another country
2. Sometimes when I send a picture, the recipient never receives
3. I can't receive some MMS texts like videos

2 and 3 are handled by switching to Kik for girls I'm regularly messaging. Basic texting and calling work great. Nothing shows up on my phone bill and, if necessary, the app is easily deleted and reloaded, or accessed via the web.

As for the discussion of subpoenas, who cares. We are johns, hiding our activities from our wives. If you are a mobster trying to hide from the feds, I can't help you. Nor do I want to.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Incidentally, I also have a prepay sim card from tmobile in an old phone, in case I ever need an actual phone other than Google voice. It hasn't come up though. However, the iPhone XS has support for an eSIM. For a recent trip out of the country I moved my number to the eSIM and was able to add a local SIM to the phone on my trip, making it an actual 2 line phone. Now that I'm back, I am toying with the idea of putting my 2nd sim into my phone and making it a 2 line phone like that. Trying to evaluate if there is any advantage to that.

On android I use TextNow. It's free and I delete the app when I don't need it. All the messages are still received when the app is Uninstalled, and visible when reinstalled.

I use text free app. Been using it for years and before that, used to use text now. I don’t talk explicitly in details, but for what I need. It does its job.

Hi all Fellow Mongers, I was just wondering and need advice on a burner phone to Utilize for my Contacts and calls from this Hobby so that certain people in my regular life dont see their calls, or texts on my Main phone.

Which provider do you use, and what would be the excuse for the second phone if caught. (Job, etc)

Thank you

Just download a burner app like textra. When you are home just uninstall the app. And when you reinstall it, if you got a message or text, it will still show up.
You just helped me big time. 2nd phone would never work for me. Will have to check that app out. This problem has stopped me from contacting independent providers and left me with only AMP & LMP options.....

idk apps i think are risky as hell if you have a jealous SO, i've seen girls going through apps you've downloaded.
if they see that app in the download history they will download it and all your crap will be there.
get a prepaid phone, leave it in your office and if you need to bring it home for the weekend hide it in your car.