Browse discreetly with Firefox Portable

I have noticed that a lot of members complain about privacy and worry about leaving a trail on their PC where someone could follow and see what they been upto. I'm sure many of you are aware of this but still if this helps someone here is a NOOB's guide written by Chris Wiles of computeractive.

If you’re used to working in different departments, you’ll soon find the biggest restriction is that most operating systems are based around multi-user technology and you won’t want to browse personal information, on the web, through someone else’s computer. Sure, you could ask them to set you up with your own account, but if you only want to use their computer for a few minutes, perhaps to check your *****, there’s little point.

Mozilla Firefox Portable edition is a transportable version of the popular web browser. You could ‘install’ this to an external USB key and then take this USB key with you, connect to a computer, then use Firefox Portable without leaving any trace of your web use on their machine.

Mozilla Firefox Portable is self-contained software which means that all your browsing history, bookmarks and other cookie information is taken with you, on external USB key. When you browse the web using Firefox Portable, the data is written back to the key. This makes is very useful for taking your own personalised version of the web browser with you, wherever you work or travel. (Chris Wiley April18, 2008)

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Due to the poplularity of mac this is for mac users.

http://www.freesmug.org/portableapps/firefox/

So basically you will need to buy a USB thumb drive which can be found for less than $10 since prices have fallen recently.

Last edited:
I have noticed that a lot of members complain about privacy and worry about leaving a trail on their PC where someone could follow and see what they been upto. I'm sure many of you are aware of this but still if this helps someone here is a NOOB's guide written by Chris Wiles of computeractive.

If you’re used to working in different departments, you’ll soon find the biggest restriction is that most operating systems are based around multi-user technology and you won’t want to browse personal information, on the web, through someone else’s computer. Sure, you could ask them to set you up with your own account, but if you only want to use their computer for a few minutes, perhaps to check your *****, there’s little point.

Mozilla Firefox Portable edition is a transportable version of the popular web browser. You could ‘install’ this to an external USB key and then take this USB key with you, connect to a computer, then use Firefox Portable without leaving any trace of your web use on their machine.

Mozilla Firefox Portable is self-contained software which means that all your browsing history, bookmarks and other cookie information is taken with you, on external USB key. When you browse the web using Firefox Portable, the data is written back to the key. This makes is very useful for taking your own personalised version of the web browser with you, wherever you work or travel. (Chris Wiley April18, 2008)

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

So basically you will need to buy a USB thumb drive which can be found for less than $10 since prices have fallen recently.
This is only available for Windows (you need Wine if you run Linux), and not available for the Mac. This was my misgiving about Firefox in the Apple vs. P.C. thread.

There's portable browsers available for both Windows and Mac. There's also an anonymous browser called xB Browser, (used to be known as Torpark).

This is only available for Windows (you need Wine if you run Linux), and not available for the Mac. This was my misgiving about Firefox in the Apple vs. P.C. thread.
dude...there must be less than 5% of UG members who uses so called "LINUX" here. You should be hanged by your balls if you can't hide your trails and can brag about using linux. This thread is for members who are not proficient users and who need a simple solution to hide what they don't want others to see. And also get your fuking facts straight..firefox portable for mac has been available for a long time. A guy named Carlo Gandolfi came up with the first version in 2006. It was called 1.5r1.0.

This is the last warning i'm giving you. I don't care if Steve Jobs is your daddy... if you bring this apple/mac shit here again you will not be able to post here anymore.

Last edited:

billyS

Reign of Terror

This is exactly what I do. I bring home my work laptop. and use it to surf the net in whatever part of the house I want I work off a thumb drive with Firefox loaded from the above link so I leave no trail of UG or CL on my harddrive.

I down loaded the mobile version of Firefox for Windows, which I'm using now. It looks and feels exactly like the standard version of Firefox except it runs slightly slower as it has to load different parts of itself from the thumb drive which is slower then my SATA hard drive.

justme

homo economicus
dude...there must be less than 5% of UG members who uses so called "LINUX" here. You should be hanged by your balls if you can't hide your trails and can brag about using linux. This thread is for members who are not proficient users and who need a simple solution to hide what they don't want others to see.
What about users whose use of Linux is limited to a work computer that they do not administer? Wouldn't the information, if true (I don't know), that Firefox potable doesn't work on Linux be relevant?

I'm as eager as you are to avoid fanboy flamewars, but until it's actually an issue I tend to think that trolling should be narrowly interpreted.

Boy you can sure learn alot there. Thanks for the information. I'm a Mac users, so I use Safari in the Private Surfing mode, so it will not save any of my surfing information. But I definately will try the portable firefox, when I visit my friends who have a PC.

thanks...

What about users whose use of Linux is limited to a work computer that they do not administer? Wouldn't the information, if true (I don't know), that Firefox potable doesn't work on Linux be relevant?

I'm as eager as you are to avoid fanboy flamewars, but until it's actually an issue I tend to think that trolling should be narrowly interpreted.
I believe you are asking if you want to use firefox portable on a work computer that is admin by the IT...well I hate to tell you firefox portable is only discreet at your home (not true if you are not the admin of your router). I assume you already know that just adding it here so others would know.

Even if you run firefox portable from your work computer (windows/apple etc) thinking that it will only show that you are accessing firefox that's not the case. IT dept will be able to see every site you are accessing. Also at home after running firefox portable if you login to your router and check the logs it will show all the sites you have visited.

Well portable firefox works (test version) on linux but due to license issues it's been delayed since last year. But you will be able to find it on underground communities. Ihave used it but not pretty still need some fixes. You can read about it here.
http://portableapps.com/node/9364

Also coming back to the fanboy...I have warned him several times and yet he doesn't seem to understand enough is enough and yes he is becoming an issue if you read the previous threads you will understand why.

Last edited:

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
I believe you are asking if you want to use firefox portable on a work computer that is admin by the IT...well I hate to tell you firefox portable is only discreet at your home (not true if you are not the admin of your router). I assume you already know that just adding it here so others would know.

Even if you run firefox portable from your work computer (windows/apple etc) thinking that it will only show that you are accessing firefox that's not the case. IT dept will be able to see every site you are accessing. Also at home after running firefox portable if you login to your router and check the logs it will show all the sites you have visited.
Unless, of course, you know how to set up an ssh tunnel and route your traffic through it. :)