Blu-Ray DVDs

iusedtobeone1 said:
I own both. As of right now I am more pleased with the HD-DVD as opposed to the Blu-Ray. A lot of this whole battle will be settled when the ps-3 hits the stores.

You own both? Which two do you own?

I know HD players are out, but I didn't know there were blue rays avalible.

I switched BACK to cable after being a direct TV customer for 8 years... the main reason was because of the internet connection, but another factor was HDTV... I had the TV but not the service, I think the difference is amazing, I am a sports nut, so that is a reason, but the sound quality is better as well... I have been agonizing over the Blu-Ray, and the HD- DVD... I am about to purchase a new Laptop and the G35-660 is on the top of my list, it comes with the HD DVD... the sony is right behind...I really didn't notice much of a difference between the 2 formats when I was in the shop looking at both Laptops... It is just another way to pull the loot out of our pockets, I will probably end up with the new MacBook Pro... Fuck both of them

Actually the reason for extra storage of information is for the Hi-Def quality and not to store multiple movies. Problem is there's very little in the way of true hi-def material on the market or airwaves.... So right now HD anything is mostly an expensive waste of technology unless one of the few broadcasts that are in actual HD is something you're really interested in. Give it another two-three years before the motion picture industry starts filming more hi-def material and hi-def broadcasts become the norm. By then the prices will come down and till then the DVD you have now will suffice.
Assuming you have a large screen hi-def Plasma TV, then it seems to me that if you want to take full advantage of the hi-def capabilities, you must have blu-ray versions of movies.

You can use any format for hi-def... but none are going to turn The Godfather, Terminator or Star Wars into hi-def movies. They weren't filmed in hi-def thus they'll never will be "true" hi-def. Same goes for any other movie made before 2001 or so.

You can use any format for hi-def... but none are going to turn The Godfather, Terminator or Star Wars into hi-def movies. They weren't filmed in hi-def thus they'll never will be "true" hi-def. Same goes for any other movie made before 2001 or so.

That is true, but software in either your av/reciever or Blue ray player will "upscale" any dvd into a higher def picture. It may not be 1080p but it will be either 720p or 1080i

I think I read somewhere that Blue Ray was outselling HD about 2:1. Don't read too much into this because certain formats have exclusive rights to some best sellers. I think Transformers is one of them.

The movie studios are lining up to back one format or the other. Currently, Blu-Ray has a larger number of studios pledging to only release Blu-Ray than HD-DVD has. I don't doubt that Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVD, as the Playstation 3 comes with a Blu-Ray player. I think what is even more telling is that Blockbuster Video announced that they will only offer Blu-Ray.

It's over.... Officially!

Probably will be announced in the next few days or week and it's no surprise but Blu-Ray is the new standard. It came down to the movie studios (Warner Bros being the final straw this week) abandoning the HD-DVD format due to costs and availability... Toshiba simply can't turn them out like Sony can and Sony is the proven entity in the digital disc market. Warner joined Sony Pictures, Walt Disney and Twentieth Century Fox who made the switch in recent weeks. Toshiba figured it was best to admit defeat and start turning out their own version of Blu-Ray DVD's. It was basically a two against one fight with Sony and Matsushita aka Panasonic supporting Blu-Ray vs only Toshiba who never could persuade RCA or any of the other electronics giants to join them

So throw out those expensive and now useless HD-DVD players and all hail Blu-Ray.

Last edited:
btw... No word on what will happen to Universal Studios, Paramount and DreamWorks who all are all under contract to release movies in the HD-DVD format.

If you do have an HD TV the difference between HD/BlueRay and standard DVD is as noticable as DVD is to VHS if not more so. There is certainly a noticable difference in resolution between HD and standard DVD.

But aside from investing heavily in a Blue Ray or HD DVD, you can still bump up your picture quality a bit if you have a 'progressive scan' DVD player which although specifically designed to work with HDTV will still show a noticable improvement when playing on a standard TV and will greatly improve your picture quality on an HDTV.
I had a nice Toshiba 1080i TV that I was getting a little tired of looking at a 4:3 screen, so I ended up buying a 1080p LCD Sony Bravia over the holidays. I was extremely happy with the picture on HD channels and even standard broadcasts looked acceptable. PS3 looked really cool too. My standard DVD's sucked balls. Very grainy and I was contemplating having a professional come and calibrate my TV just for the standard DVD player. Before I decided to do anything, I tried some newer, action based movies on the PS3 to see how the upconverter made them look. Still nothing like I was used to. I just assumed that because my DVD player was progressive scan and highly rated back in 2001 and the PS3 didn't give such a great picture either, that the TV was what needed the tune up.

Well I did a search online and found settings provided by someone who just had their same make and model calibrated by a professional. I figured I had nothing to lose by using the same settings on my custom menu and if worst came to worst and I didn't like them, I'd make the call to a professional. I tried them out and because I still had a DVD in the PS3, I used that as my DVD player first. Excellent picture...I was very happy with the settings and have to say that the PS3 is not only a nice BluRay player but also a pretty good upconverter as well.

As for my DVD player, I didn't realize that progressive scan circa 2001 is not the same as a progressive scan player produced within the last year. It provided an excellent DVD player for the first six years on my 1080i TV but of course failed with my current TV. I guess I was so stubborn after dropping $700 when I bought it that I didn't want to face reality. Now I have a $700 CD player sitting in my home theater and use my PS3 exclusively for movie viewing.

I'll probably use BluRay for my Netflix rentals and buying action movies or movies where I think it will make a huge difference. For the most part I'm really happy with how my DVD's upconverted and will still buy that format as well.

Didnt meat to ressurrect this thread but had a question about dvd's.I have a playstation 4 which up till now i just played games on.when i went to put a dvd in i was unable to view it.do i need a router to watch dvds on the ps4? not sure how it works.Thanks in advance!

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I bought a ps3 even though I don't play games because at that time it was the best Blu-ray player for the money. But it no longer plays discs- apparently from talking to Sony customer service it's a common issue. My guess is the same thing happened to your ps4 - you don't need anything (router, etc.) But you could check on the setup menu to make sure the output stream from the ps4 is compatible with the input stream your TV is expecting. (Settings ==> displays settings)