Better Call Saul

billyS

Reign of Terror
Finally got to binge it on Netflix last week.
Even though I saw S6 on AMC, watching it uninterrupted with the ability to quickly rewind and go over key moments is the only way to watch this show.

Like the gun battle with Lalo and the pivotal scene when Carol Burnette puts it all together because Gene slips up on that phone call and compares the legal systems of Albuquerque and Omaha.

I might have mentioned it before but the recasting of the cab driver who recognized Gene/Saul caused some confusion at the start the second half of S6.

After I finished the last episode I went to the Breaking Bad episode titled Better Call Saul, where his character is introduced and it's amazing how well they blended the the scenes from BCS with the ones in this one.

Gotta be honest I binged the whole series over a month & 1/2 in March/April.
Thought it 1/2 Sucked! & 1/2 was Great

Anything about Saul, His Brother(He'll always be Lenny) and the GF /Wife who never in real life would have been with a douche/dufus like him....Sucked!!!
The only one in that part of the show I kinda liked was Howard. I mean Of Course I would have like to Rail Kim 7 ways to Sunday but even she turned stupid.

Anything about Mike, Nacho and the rest of the Cartel ....AWSOME!!

I literally Fast Forwarded 1/2 the series cause I couldn't take it.

So the end result ....Not Nearly worth all the accolades.

Just Sayin

Gotta be honest I binged the whole series over a month & 1/2 in March/April.
Thought it 1/2 Sucked! & 1/2 was Great

Anything about Saul, His Brother(He'll always be Lenny) and the GF /Wife who never in real life would have been with a douche/dufus like him....Sucked!!!
The only one in that part of the show I kinda liked was Howard. I mean Of Course I would have like to Rail Kim 7 ways to Sunday but even she turned stupid.

Anything about Mike, Nacho and the rest of the Cartel ....AWSOME!!

I literally Fast Forwarded 1/2 the series cause I couldn't take it.

So the end result ....Not Nearly worth all the accolades.

Just Sayin
Just sayin!? Just spouting truth!! I began watching with anticipation bc of Breaking Bad but was quickly disappointed.
I totally agree with your review. The cartel and Mike (great character!!) Nacho were awesome.
Sal, his brother and the wife were forgettable.
Id get in line behind you to nail Kim!!

Just sayin!? Just spouting truth!! I began watching with anticipation bc of Breaking Bad but was quickly disappointed.
I totally agree with your review. The cartel and Mike (great character!!) Nacho were awesome.
Sal, his brother and the wife were forgettable.
Id get in line behind you to nail Kim!!
o_O
Hey Hey do I gotta watch out now with you back there?!? Let's just say we split roast her.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I think because I binged BCS before I binged Breaking Bad I was better able to appreciate the whole story of Jimmy McGill.

I think if you watched in the natural progression you might have gone into BCS just looking for an extension of BB, hence the parts unrelated to the BB timeline boring.

I think because I binged BCS before I binged Breaking Bad I was better able to appreciate the whole story of Jimmy McGill.

I think if you watched in the natural progression you might have gone into BCS just looking for an extension of BB, hence the parts unrelated to the BB timeline boring.
Nahhh I really just thought the characters were unwatchable. Clearly in any good movie or TV show you can have characters that are unlikable, but interesting. I found him and his brother completely unlikable and not even interesting.
Simply put they were both a couple of miserable assholes. And the more times he tricked someone, each other or the system, instead of it, developing his character, it simply made him more unlikable and not any more interesting.

Nahhh I really just thought the characters were unwatchable. Clearly in any good movie or TV show you can have characters that are unlikable, but interesting. I found him and his brother completely unlikable and not even interesting.
Simply put they were both a couple of miserable assholes. And the more times he tricked someone, each other or the system, instead of it, developing his character, it simply made him more unlikable and not any more interesting.
You are entitled to your opinion, sir. But it is wrong!

billyS

Reign of Terror
You are entitled to your opinion, sir. But it is wrong!
Opinions, especially when it involves your taste on things like TV shows is subjective.

I respectfully disagree with @LorenzoDeMedici on BCS but I don't think he is wrong. It's only his opinion.

I went into BCS with no set expectations just on the recommendation of my SB who always has the same taste in movies and TV as me.
I enjoyed the character development. Although of all the arcs I did prefer the ones that involves Gus and Mike the most.

The episode named Breaking Bad where it intersected with the Episode of BB named Better Call Saul was brilliant.
I recommend watching them back to back

While I enjoyed watching it, I can understand Lorenzo's criticisms as I had the same concerns. Saul is such an asshole I can't see how any human would interact with him. Kim loving him is so farfetched it's a joke.

Opinions, especially when it involves your taste on things like TV shows is subjective.

I respectfully disagree with @LorenzoDeMedici on BCS but I don't think he is wrong. It's only his opinion.

I went into BCS with no set expectations just on the recommendation of my SB who always has the same taste in movies and TV as me.
I enjoyed the character development. Although of all the arcs I did prefer the ones that involves Gus and Mike the most.

The episode named Breaking Bad where it intersected with the Episode of BB named Better Call Saul was brilliant.
I recommend watching them back to back
I'm really just kidding, but I love the show and think it was a close second to Breaking Bad in terms of all time great shows, so I felt the urge to chime in against the criticisms. Saul was my all-time favorite TV lawyer and I think BCS only enhanced and deepened my understanding of the character.

billyS

Reign of Terror
While I enjoyed watching it, I can understand Lorenzo's criticisms as I had the same concerns. Saul is such an asshole I can't see how any human would interact with him. Kim loving him is so farfetched it's a joke.
She was equally damaged as shown in her flashbacks in the final season. She shared his mischievous tendencies, she loves to scam people also. They understood each other.

See heres my issue. Like I said Hollywood, the media, even in daily Life we love to villainize good guys & justify bad guys. We understand it and so it can be entertaining. So many times we will enjoy content where the Protagonist is a REAL Scumbag that has done heinous things. But the character is either developed so that you can feel bad for them because of the social issues they've faced or their horrid upbringing. Mommy issues whatever. Or they are a genuinely good guy / gal that just snaps because of lifes pressures. We can relate to that. The villain is'nt all bad and the hero is not completely a saint. Just look at all of us. Every once in a while we encounter a Phsychopath or really a Sociopath who seems to have No conscience. And even that we can marvel just a bit as to "How someone is just born wired that way?"
I think of Breaking Bad and it is the perfect cast of characters that are all flawed in this design. Heisenberg is the everyman who snaps in a way that is greater but not inherently different than most of us would but maybe just maybe have thought about many times. But always felt "We,ve got too much to lose" (Can't we all relate to that).
Well what if we had nothing to lose...ie. The first movie I really felt that portrayed this & was Great! Was "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas. Fuckin Loved it!.
With BCS but specifically Jimmy (Saul) himself. He's really none of that? I saw nothing in his childhood that illustrated he had a hard life, Mommy issues, dady issues, bullyed, social ostracism, racism, or anything that remotely justifies him simply being an asshole. Now is he then a sociopath? That might be interesting. But then they try to portray him as almost a "Robin Hood" which indicates he has compassion that a sociopath would not. He's just a selfish self centered asshole and for no good reason.
So I just Can't relate!
Is he a sociopath...Nope?
Is he just Nuts?(not sure if that's a socially acceptable term)...Nope
Is he funny?...eghh not so much.
Every other character you could say that about except him and Lenny( I'm sorry Chuck).

Now Many of You and clearly MANY others found him entertaing anyway... But tell me what I'm missing in my assesment above.