Best Pizza in NYC (Queens, Brooklyn, Bx, Manhattan, SI and Long Island)

its more a a specialty item found in authentic italian delis. Also you don't want to dine on it freshly made they actually taste better cold or room temperature after its had some time to settle. Most people serve it as an appetizer cut up for easter. Da Vinci & T&F in franklin square make them and so does little lorenzo's in floral park. The recipes vary like mentioned by TheRicker. Its called Pizza rustica but its not meant to be a Pizza and at the end of the day sure it is similar to a quiche but not as eggy the egg is just for binding- in a quiche the egg tends to be part of the main event. Also no idea why anyone would add butter. I prefer the version without the dough cold or room temperature after its had a day to settle and firm up in the fridge. basic recipe for is Fresh ricotta and or basket cheese ( i like to mix them) a lot of shredded mozzarella and grated cheese, and a variety of diced italian coldcuts and then the eggs for binding. then just bake it with an eggwash on top.
Uncle Giuseppe's sells it around Easter also.

Half a lifetime ago you could get real home made prosciutto bread in Bensonhurst and Bathbeach. So when it became impossible to find an old lady from the neighborhood suggested I make it myself and told me what to get. Get quality ingredients. No supermarket stuff. I’m hungry now

Half a lifetime ago you could get real home made prosciutto bread in Bensonhurst and Bathbeach. So when it became impossible to find an old lady from the neighborhood suggested I make it myself and told me what to get. Get quality ingredients. No supermarket stuff. I’m hungry now
Some of the fresh ravioli places made that.
there was a place on smith street. (I think and don’t remember the name) made the prosciutto bread. It was still warm when I got it.
Omg.

that old lady was a saint, cant remember her name. She was a joy to see and would offer free samples of anything. The fresh mozzarell was liquid gold.

Her fresh heros were amazing even though the wait was long. They made them fresh in the back.

Why did they get shutdown, anyone got the scoop? Her daughter was always in there with her, I thought she would take over.

Mama's is still on 104 but CHPS was a nice treat, I dont if better than Mama's as far as mossarell or heros?
Just saw this thread this morning. Been reading it throughout the day. A lot of old aquaintainces are mentioned throughout the various post.

The Corona Heights Pork Store was owned and run by Frank and Mary Lu. A nicer couple would be hard to come by.

I have many fond memories of her telling me " tell me how you and your family are, before you eat"

Inevitably, I'd always arrive home late and not hungry.

Yes but after time they substitute other hams and use bootleg mozzarella. When you know the real thing you know.
Bootleg Mozzarella…
I think we can have a while topic on this—
I’ve always found significant differences from place to place on their mozz.. Some people swear by fresh mozzarella .. fairway used to make their own.. never cared for theirs

Since almost every conversation is about food, sex, or money. It’s only appropriate to address all these topics here on UG!

My favorite pizza out here in Smithtown the Sicilian at Branchinellis on route 111.

Bootleg Mozzarella…
I’ve always found significant differences from place to place on their mozz.. Some people swear by fresh mozzarella .. fairway used to make their own.. never cared for theirs
You can go to EATALY at WTC they have classes to teach you how to make it. Worth a visit.

Bootleg Mozzarella…
Or kick it up a notch and get some di bufala

Bootleg Mozzarella…
If the place doesn’t make their own fresh mozzarella don’t bother getting any. Unless their importing it from Italy. Also diff kinds have their diff uses. Sometimes fresh or Buffala are too wet for the purpose you need and a low moisture mozz is needed.

SO I have been drooling looking at the IG of Mike's Underground in Amityville, has anyone had the pizza here?
Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed. It was good, not something I would drive 45 minutes for and wait in a parking lot.

Dough was thick and dense, I like a lighter, thinner, airy dough. Maybe a tad on the salty side. Again, not bad, but not the OMG I thought I would be getting after having my eyes fucked daily by their IG.

Anyone??

Scarrs pizza 22 Orchard st. Not far from several of my favorite places. The ingredients are top notch. They make the flour for dough on site.
“They make the flour for dough on site.“

Wowww, you mean they actually mill the grains of wheat on their premises to roll into dough?

That’s incredible. That goes back to the earliest concept of Italian pizza, where the grain was the mainstay of the pizza, and the toppings were far less important, and used quite sparingly.

American pizza reinvented pizza to make the bread portion but a carrier for the lavish toppings.

If this place is milling flour, that is something really phenomenal for pizza lovers. Old Old Old school - or shall I say “ANCIENT SCHOOL PIZZA,” because you won’t even find that very often in Italy.

For LI, Suffolk County.

Aegean Pizza & Italian Restaurant (had the best square pizza) formerly located @ the Sunvet Mall, 5801 Sunrise Highway, 11741, Holbrook NY, - I haven't tried their "rented" oven location under the Carlo's Pizza Oven store front 480 Patchogue-Holbrook Rd #23, Holbrook, NY 11741

La Scala (and their other locations with different names) 34 Vanderbilt Motor Pkwy, Commack, NY 11725, they also make awesome house salad dressing and their pasta combo meals are excellent.

Nassau County
Borelli's 1580 Hempstead Tpke, East Meadow, NY 11554

For LI, Suffolk County.

Aegean Pizza & Italian Restaurant (had the best square pizza) formerly located @ the Sunvet Mall, 5801 Sunrise Highway, 11741, Holbrook NY, - I haven't tried their "rented" oven location under the Carlo's Pizza Oven store front 480 Patchogue-Holbrook Rd #23, Holbrook, NY 11741

La Scala (and their other locations with different names) 34 Vanderbilt Motor Pkwy, Commack, NY 11725, they also make awesome house salad dressing and their pasta combo meals are excellent.

Nassau County
Borelli's 1580 Hempstead Tpke, East Meadow, NY 11554
Carlos in Holbrook makes a good pizza and is always busy. I'm surprised that they rent their oven to Aegean.

Carlos in Holbrook makes a good pizza and is always busy. I'm surprised that they rent their oven to Aegean.
I have had a few slices from Carlos', never a fan it was just close and convenient (my sister's kids danced at the dance studio next door) and would meet up with them for a quick dinners every once in a while. I would have rather driven the 8 minutes to Aegean - I hope to make it one day to try the Aegean Pizza in the Carlos oven.

https://greaterlongisland.com/peopl...-pizza-again-this-time-at-carlos-in-holbrook/