Best Pizza in NYC (Queens, Brooklyn, Bx, Manhattan, SI and Long Island)

FWIW: WSJ today Section D2 Off Duty, has major article "Pizza Quest".
Gives history of pizza in US, regional differences, etc. Interesting read.
This was a good read, thank you for the heads up. Not sure how this appears in print, but the online edition has some good pictures to go along with some of the places profiled.

Your home oven does 800?
A self cleaning home oven typically operates at 900 deg F and some at 1000 deg F during self cleaning mode. So yeah it is possible that a home (residential consumer type) oven has the capability to do cooking at 800. However I don't think such a high temperature is allowed for cooking in residential consumer type ovens as they lock the door during self cleaning mode when such high temperatures exist. I think the maximum allowed cooking temperature (where you are allowed to open the oven door) is 550 deg F. Some people have commercial grade ovens — maybe they can operate at 800 deg F?

Also note that chrome plated oven racks can be discolored at such high temps — although grey and porcelain-coated racks will be ok.

World famous Di Fara Pizza was closed by NYS due to owing $167K in taxes.

The news releases mentioned their Williamsburg store was still open, which I had no idea existed. The old man doesn't even make the pies any more apparently.

It's the best slice I ever had consistently. My local pizza place on long island is a buck or two cheaper than difara but a hundred times worse.
The real value is booking the place for three hours for an all you can eat pizza party for 20 people. You can bring your own alcohol and pes come out every 7-10 minutes. I believe it works out to about 20 a person.

pokler

Power Bottom
It's the best slice I ever had consistently. My local pizza place on long island is a buck or two cheaper than difara but a hundred times worse.
The real value is booking the place for three hours for an all you can eat pizza party for 20 people. You can bring your own alcohol and pes come out every 7-10 minutes. I believe it works out to about 20 a person.

In the Daily News some loyal customer said it can take 3-5 hours to get a slice but it’s worth it because it’s fresh. Can someone explain to me this ?
It’s does not take that long to cook pizza. Does he mean the line is a 3-5 hour wait? WFT does he mean ?

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Confession: about a decade ago I was dating a woman who worked at Ophelia's (Mickey's) who lived near there, we had a pie, walked out and I forgot I hadn't paid when I picked the pie up off the counter.

I don't understand this new fascination with waiting in line. Maybe it's that people can't afford NY anymore so it's become "something to do" but people are waiting in line for everything. This cookie dough place opened on LaGuardia Place and in the snow there was a line across the street down the block like people were waiting to get into a concert at MSG.

....I don't understand this new fascination with waiting in line. Maybe it's that people can't afford NY anymore so it's become "something to do" but people are waiting in line for everything. ....
Ditto.
Take a look at the thread Bubble Tea.
The place is called Tiger Sugar and it is a tiny place (actually just a service window at the sidewalk at Main Street between 40th rd and Roosy in Flushing). There was a line on the sidewalk about 30 people long standing around waiting for the window to open (the place opened at 11am and I walked by at just after 10). When the place opens the line is around the block. After you get to the window and place your order there is another wait (another line of people waiting after they order) while they make it (odd because the Brown Sugar Boba that everyone seems to order only comes in one size at $6)

Here is a review by some customer (I guess a customer and not a shill) named Xaveer Xiong
"Honestly, I was getting really annoyed waiting online for about 2 hours especially due to the humidity. I was not expecting much out of the drink and thought it would taste like most generic bubble tea places. However after my first sip, I was shocked and instantly became a fan of their beverage"

In the Daily News some loyal customer said it can take 3-5 hours to get a slice but it’s worth it because it’s fresh. Can someone explain to me this ?
It’s does not take that long to cook pizza. Does he mean the line is a 3-5 hour wait? WFT does he mean ?
Place opens at noon or 1. Some days 30 or more people are on line outside waiting for it to open. It's the smallest pizza place with a tiny oven. Dom ( original owner/pizza maker) is very slow and methodical in his pizza making. He pumps out aporox 10-15 pies an hour. Most customers get a whole pie as its legendary right out of the oven and cheaper ( 5 a slice 35 a pie iirc) so person 10 and above on the line waiting for place to open have a 45 to 1 hour wait if not more. If 30 or more are waiting before opening the 2 or 3 hour wait comes into effect most of not the entire day.
If a accident/vehicle with siren/kids playing Dom is distracted for a few minutes.

DiFara puts out a good slice..Fuck no! not a $5 slice.. they can charge that because of the nit wit yelpers/influencers who post on social media platforms how great the pizza is...also since other media outlets consistently rank DiFara in the top 10

I worked in that area for almost 3 years... have seen them shut down 2X by health dept..and have also been able to walk up and grab a slice with no line..Bagel Hole is right across the street.. wonder how they escape the vermin findings that shut down Difara..

Anyway social media blows these places up...like Xi'an lamb burger place downstairs... where the spanish chick speaks Mandarin...

DiFara does make a nice pizza though..

but then again so do I

Attachments