Ben Roethlisberger

He got himself into a Motorcycle accident. Don't these dumb bastards know better than to risk their careers riding a bike. Look at that basketball player, Jayson Williams, who lost millions and his career due to his severe injuries suffered in his bike accident. I hope Be crippled himself, so the freaking Steelers are crippled for the next decade. I guess Eli's going to be the better pick afterall.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I was 10 years old and at Game Four of the Isles-Oilers Finals in 1983. It was early in the first period and I yelled out something stupid about Wayne Gretzky (like "hit him in the head" or something stupid like that). My old man gave me a withering look and laced into me during the next stoppage in play. The older lady next to us (a season ticket holder as well) agreed with my father. I remember bot my father and her saying at the same time "respect your opponent." Then my father said something along the lines of never wishing injuries on a player or anyone for that matter.

I always take that with me...

Fast forward to when Brian Leetch broke his ankle in '90 (?) right before the playoffs and my father joked around about that for a while (until they beat us in the first round).

Gavy

All this talk about helmets and Big Ben..... So he lost a few teeth, got a bump on his head but no other damage to the noggin. But he broke a few bones and blew out both his knees. They don't make helmets for that stuff.

I just think he's stupid to even ride a bike and risk his career. I mean look at Kevin Winslow. I mean, when you're retired with millions, you could ride the next 30 yrs. ahhhh, I'm a tubby bitter man.

If Ben got away without any brain damage then he's a very lucky young man. If he did blow out his knees then he's prolly done for this coming season at the least.
You know, I'll never get the pro athletes who do stupid things like that and risk their careers or lives but I just don't get motorcyclists in general. I'm sure there are some motorcyclists on this site but for the life of me I just don't understand you guys. I know it must be exhilerating to ride a powerful bike but one wrong move and you could be toast. It just ain't worth risking your life IMHO. You have almost no protection for your body like you do in a car. You could be the world's best bike rider but there are way too many bad drivers on the road for me to ever consider riding a motorcycle on the busy roads of NY or NNJ. If you lived in an area with wide open expanses like Montana or Wyoming for example, thats one thing but not in heavily populated areas. Thats almost suicidal if you ask me.

If it wasn't for bikers that didn't wear helmets, where would we get heart donors from?

You'd think it would be in the guy's contract that he wouldn't do that.

it is plain and simple, if you dont ride a bike, then you dont understand, there is just something about it that is stress relieving, think about when you were a kid and road around the neighborhood it was a blast right, how about a bike with an engine and you can go anywhere, i wish him a healthy recovery bc i dont like to hear about neone crashing a bike, but for him to not wear a helmet is just completely insane, if he had the helmet on he prob could have walked away with minor injuries as i read he was coherent at the crash scene and trying to stand up, but authorities would not let him

Bandaid said:
You'd think it would be in the guy's contract that he wouldn't do that.
In reading today's papers I think it may have been in his contract but I'll have to double check. Put it this way, if he was a back-up or journeyman his contract might be voided but in his case they won't do that because he's the Super Bowl winning QB at age 24 and considered an up and coming star.

SPORTBOOK said:
it is plain and simple, if you dont ride a bike, then you dont understand, there is just something about it that is stress relieving, think about when you were a kid and road around the neighborhood it was a blast right, how about a bike with an engine and you can go anywhere, i wish him a healthy recovery bc i dont like to hear about neone crashing a bike, but for him to not wear a helmet is just completely insane, if he had the helmet on he prob could have walked away with minor injuries as i read he was coherent at the crash scene and trying to stand up, but authorities would not let him
I've never driven a bike so I guess I don't understand but then again I don't understand people who jump out of airplanes either.