Another computer problem for the Bunyon

Well guys, I had so much success with a previous thread for a problem I had on my "work" computer back last Summer (Thanks to those great mongers Shorty, Justbill and Bandaid the problem was quickly corrected!) that I'd figure I'd give this one a try.

Long story short, I recently borrowed a computer for my home because I have some work I have to finish ASAP. (The "computer" I use at home to surf the net is so ridiculous that I can't do work on it and I'm even embarrassed to mention it :( )

Anyway, my friend had the computer which I am borrowing set for a highspeed DSL connection to the web but I will just use shitty old dial-up for the time being. I am currently trying to set it up to surf and I can't connect. I've tried everything I can think of and when I check it says the modem (PCI SoftV 92 Data Fax modem w/smart CP) is not attached to a port (or something like that). It is present but not active or attached. I might not have every detail but thats the gist of it. It has Windows XP.

I have work I have to finish and any and all responses would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance mongers!!!!

If it's enabled, right click, goto Properties, goto the Modem tab, see if theres a Com port associated with it. If you dont see a Com port, goto the Advanced tab, open advanced port settings, and assign a com port. Try Com port 3, 1st.

Almost there......

You are the man Bill! Thanks so much for the advice, the modem is now enabled and connected to the port!! Gracias, mucho gracias!
Now the only problem is that when I try to connect with dial-up I get a "No dial tone" message (Error 680). The phone line is fine, I just checked. Maybe something with the dialing properties or handshaking?

Any more advice would be really appreciated! Have to try and get some stuff done after the great party last night.

Also......if you're using AOL to connect you have to change the connection method in the AOL main screen. Don't remember the exact place. Same might be true for MSN, in any case check that the software program is set for dialup not a broadband IP connection.

I think I'm getting close...

Thanks so much Bill for trying to help with this. I think I've figured out the problem through trial and error. And therein lies what I hope is my final question.

I believe the problem why I can't connect is that the computer is missing the framedyn.dll file (I checked the error message I was getting and it mentions that).
My friend must have messed with the registry at one time and mistakeningly deleted it.

My question is how can I re-install the framedyn.dll file without connection to the internet? If I can do that I think the dial-upconnection will finally work.

Ohhhhh now you pipe up

Replace the Framedyn.dll File
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\dllcache, and then click OK.
3. Right-click framedyn.dll, and then click Copy on the shortcut menu that appears.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\wbem, and then click OK.
6. On the Edit menu, click Paste. If you are prompted to replace the existing file, click Yes.

Back to the top
Verify System Variables
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu that appears. If you receive the following error message, click OK:
rundll32.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment Variables.
4. Under System variables, click Path, and then click Edit.

NOTE: If no Path variable is listed, click New. In the Variable name box, type Path.
5. In the Variable value box, type the following:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
6. Click OK three times (each time that you have the option).

Source http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319114

Bill-
I hate to keep bugging you with this shit but I've encountered another problem. I tried doing what you said in the previous post (I did steps 1 & 2 at the top) but I don't see the framedyn file in the dll cache. WTF???

Any other suggestions or can it be somewhere else?

If you can help me solve this I'll vote Dem from now on :)

Take a look in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

be sure you have it set so you can see hidden and system files. Tools, Folder Options, View, Hidden files and folders, Show hidden files and folders.

Update....Update.....

I somehow was able to copy the framedyn.dll file (i just used the windows search function to find where it was) and it now says I'm connected to Juno, which is my ISP from another computer I don't use anymore but account is still active.

Only problem is that I can't get the Juno homepage to come up yet but I'm gonna try properties.

(But I have a feeling I better start looking into the Dem candidates more closely lololol......)

Finally on the web with a real computer via Juno (albeit with a shitty old dial-up connection). I put it on the backburner for the last month and a half but tried logging on again the other day for the heck of it. Turns out the last problem was that the phone line wasn't in the port all the way just as JB said. IT guy I am not LOL.....

Thanks for all your help Uncle JB!!!!!

Finally on the web with a real computer via Juno (albeit with a shitty old dial-up connection). I put it on the backburner for the last month and a half but tried logging on again the other day for the heck of it. Turns out the last problem was that the phone line wasn't in the port all the way just as JB said. IT guy I am not LOL.....

Thanks for all your help Uncle JB!!!!!
Bunon also remeber to plug in the monitor.