Andy Petitte Hall Of Famer?

Should Andy Petitite be in the Hall Of Fame?

• yes! no brainer,first ballot

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • yes! should be in the Hall Of Fame but not on first ballot

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No Way! he should not be inducted

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still a tough call for me. He was rarely and maybe never an ace. He had a lot of stinkers in the postseason too. I will never forget game 6 of 2001. I like Andy and believe hin when he says he used HGH to get over arm problems. Maybe my decision will become clearer over the next 5 years.

Btw... The elite list of pitchers with 100 more wins than losses...

Tom Seaver
Roger Clemens
Walter Johnson
Cy Young
Warren Spahn
Whitey Ford
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Jim Palmer
Bob Feller
Christy Mathewson
Greg Maddux
Eddie Plank
Lefty Grove
Juan Marichal
Andy Petitte
i never saw this before. i was always of the opinion that Andy should not be in the HOF because he was never a dominant ace. that said, his inclusion on this list probably tips it in favor for HOF induction for me. there is no one not worthy on that list.

You have to draw the line somewhere. He does have 5 rings and his postseason record is still very good ... especially when you consider you are playing the best teams in the postseason. If you put Andy in ... then all of a sudden then everybody is going to say guys like Tommy JOhn should get in.

Again ... I am on the fence and this is why you wait whatever it is ... 4 or 5 years to vote. Time gives you more perspective to make a better decision.

Andy Pettite had the fortune of playing with great teams and having the greatest closer
close his games. If he played for the Mets or the Cubs, then he would be a very mediocre pitcher at best. Tom Seaver would have done well no matter where. he pitched.

Pitching for the Mets (Seaver aside) is mostly pitching unimportant no pressure games. If Petitte has the same numbers without the post season record or 5 WS rings I'd say he's borderline at best. But he pitched in pressure situations, shares or holds two remarkable records... one being on an elite list of HoF pitchers and the other post season consistency. And how many times did he pitch a great must win game. Whitey Ford had similar numbers and he played on an even better team. You can also argue Petitte pitched during the roid era or his ERA might be lower. But in the end his name is on the PED list and that will probably keep him out permanently. If anyone on that list gets in it will be guys like Bonds and Clemens. The borderline players who used might never get in.

Last edited:
I think many people believe Pettitte when he says he only used HGH the one time to help him get over his elbow issues. I could be wrong or naive. On the other hand I think A-Rod/Bonds/Clemens/Sosa/Maguire all used them nonstop.

I think the writers may see a difference ... or maybe not. I can't see any of those guys ever getting in. Pettitte ... may be an exception ... if they believe him.

On another note. Has anyone noticed JOhn Wetteland recently? Very skinny. He was a big dude on the Yankees.

Last edited:
The writers are keeping out anyone even rumored (Piazza, Bagwell) and Craig Biggio who was a player rep who repeatedly voted against stricter testing for PED's. So anyone within a hundred feet of a PED has no chance of getting voted in.... the baseball writers who have complete say have spoken.

This thread should get going again. He does not make it though. One because of the steroids as he cheated. 2, He was just not a hall of fame pitcher. Falls short...

All kidding aside

It is an honor, to be even mentioned as a possible hall of famer. He was a great Yankee pitcher, but it stops there. But is he or isnt he a hall of famer, just the discusion alone shows how good he was... Except for the steroid issue, an easy guy to root for..

Most wins in postseason history, 5 rings. went 4-0 in the 2009 postseason. His winning percentage is huge. He used HGH to get over an injury. It isn't like he got better as he got older or he was a guy that ever threw overly hard.

He pitched important games over his entire career.

I might be leaning towards giving him the nod. Time will treat him well.

I think you guys dismiss him too easily. When looking at his regular season numbers you may have a point. However ... his winning percentage is among the best in baseball history. Then you have to look at his postseason performances. Heck ... the guy was 4-0 in 2009! LIke I said ... we have a few years to look at him. He didn't have a stretch where he was considered a Cy Young candidate on a yearly basis .... BUT ... he was ALWAYS VERY GOOD FROM 2004 through 2013!! How many pitchers can you say that about?

How many pitchers that are active now are going to get in and who is better for Pettitte over that long of a span? How about Johan Santana??? One of the best for a few years but a very short career. Who else? Verlander? YES! But how long will he be good for? He is already slipping. Lincecom??? Another who may have a short span of brilliance.

Being VERY GOOD for 20 years is something to consider!

Correction on my post ... he was very good from 1994 through 2013.

Verlander pitched a heel of a game when it counted. His regular season was not great though.