AirTag tracking

Writing to report a serious concern that I detected yesterday after leaving the Flushing area. When I turned on my Apple IPad this morning, I had an alert notification that an unknown AirTag was traveling with me. When I opened the notification, it showed where the AirTag began traveling with me as well as the location of my house. Freaking scary. The device no long seems to be present and additional efforts to “ping” it have not worked. I’ve followed the instructions Apple provides about detecting it but it seems to either have been removed or deactivated. If anyone has information about how to detect it or ideas about what to do at this point I’d appreciate it if you would share. Hopefully this is not a new shakedown or threat for our community.

Writing to report a serious concern that I detected yesterday after leaving the Flushing area. When I turned on my Apple IPad this morning, I had an alert notification that an unknown AirTag was traveling with me. When I opened the notification, it showed where the AirTag began traveling with me as well as the location of my house. Freaking scary. The device no long seems to be present and additional efforts to “ping” it have not worked. I’ve followed the instructions Apple provides about detecting it but it seems to either have been removed or deactivated. If anyone has information about how to detect it or ideas about what to do at this point I’d appreciate it if you would share. Hopefully this is not a new shakedown or threat for our community.
You need to supply more info to get meaningful responses from fellow UG'ers.:

Why and where were you in Flushing
Is anyone suspicious of your time away from your house, e.g., a SO.
Do you drive a high end car.

I've often posted the saying that "I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get me"

When I monger at a place I have no legit excuse to be at, e.g., close to a place I plan to monger at— I park blocks away and walk to the place. For example when I used to go to an Asian agency room at the Americana (before they rented out the whole place to house illegal immigrants) I would park in the Walmart lot next door and walk over.

I've often posted the saying that "I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get me"

When I monger at a place I have no legit excuse to be at, e.g., close to a place I plan to monger at— I park blocks away and walk to the place. For example when I used to go to an Asian agency room at the Americana (before they rented out the whole place to house illegal immigrants) I would park in the Walmart lot next door and walk over.
You need to be paid for all your useful info
I laugh the hardest at people going around the gym lot to find the closest spot even in the best weather

You need to be paid for all your useful info
I laugh the hardest at people going around the gym lot to find the closest spot even in the best weather
Thanks for the compliment,
However as far as "going around the gym lot to find the closest spot " I do that for a reason you may not have thought of:
I look for a spot in the front of the lot (either the spots adjacent to the club or the club facing row of the next group of spots. My thinking is that it is much harder for someone to break into my car unnoticed when the car has visibility on 3 sides (drivers side, pass side and front) as opposed to cars parked in the middle of a crowed lot.

If I can't find such a spot I park my car outside the last rows of the lot where the my car is parked with no cars nearby.

For the same reason I pick a locker closest to the entrance to the Men's locker room.

Again "I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me"

Time for DD1216 tracker

I was mongering over near Northern Blvd and 154th. And I drive a shit box 2013 Japanese car in the city because it’s low profile, I’m all over the city everyday for work and I don’t want to have to worry about getting robbed or broken into.
No heat or concerns from the S.O. because she’s not that clever. She would just put a hatchet through my windshield if she was suspicious because she’s not too subtle.

Are you certain it was tracking you, I don't have Apple products so not 100% certain how they operate. But I do work with lots of tech in my job and from my understanding of your phone finds a "lost tag" it'll alert you, generally the tag has to be within 50 feet of you...

So not knowing all the tech details of AirTags it's possible that it did alert you to tracking you and display the details of the tracking map. But it's also possible that maybe in the AMP you "found" one nearby, that your phone was making you aware of.

Now if you haven't found it physically either in your car or on your personal items you had with you this would seem the most likely scenario.

From what I can figure out there is no silent [stealth] track option, but if the battery dies it would disappear the batteries last about a year before needing replacement.

Apple issues alerts to let someone know that there’s an AirTag near them that isn’t associated with their iCloud account. These alerts happen after some period of time or while you’re moving and the AirTag is moving with you.

1. Open the Find My app.
  2. Tap the Me tab.
  3. Tap Customise Tracking Notifications.
  4. Make sure the Allow Notifications slider is green (it should be by default).
  5. Via the alert, you can see how long this AirTag has been with you. You can also see a map of the locations where the AirTag has been tracked in your possession, which may give you an indication of where you picked it up.

to use Apple’s Find My app to manually scan for AirTags near you using the Items That Can Track Me option in the Items tab.

If you have an Android phone, you can also check for unknown AirTags moving with you using the Tracker Detect app. It’s far less robust than Apple’s Find My app and needs to be run manually.

the tracking AirTag will play a sound once it has been separated from its owner for a time and then moves.

This happens after what Apple calls an “extended period of time” away from its paired iPhone or iPad (the company has disclosed elsewhere that this is three days). After this period, an AirTag makes a beep whenever it’s moved. If you hear an unexpected beep from something you’re carrying or within your vehicle, then it’s time to engage in the hunt for an AirTag.

BLE Scanner is a limited but free app that provides a list of Bluetooth devices your iPhone or iPad can detect, and offers a mapping feature that roughly sorts them by signal strength into distance away. This is particularly useful if you’re checking out whether a car has a hidden AirTag

It was strange. Had my phone in a bag so did not or could not hear any alerts. Then saw a map that showed a AirTag following me back from Queens. Haven’t had any issues since. Maybe it was an AirTag or maybe it was just an artifact from my gps guiding me home. Really don’t know and have not seen anything out of the ordinary since.

rare but my own airpod or airtag would show up as unknown item traveling with me and I had to re-pair them.

I am worry about this too and I have seen youtube video where people take the airtag apart to disable the sound so if you see an alert, you need to check it asap. But if someone buries the thing in a crevis in my car somewhere, it could be a bitch to find.

just yesterday a rogue tag popped up on my phone. It was less than 8 hours being near me so I think the 3 days thing may not be right from apple. Turns out to be false alarm for me though. If you travel with friends and they have air tags, would it give false alarms too?